Re-Playing Forza Motorsports on 360 (can't wait for FM2, thats why)

• Thread starter sheruken
  • 10 comments
India
Mumbai, India
Vype-R
PferdeStarke
As the title suggests, I just started playing Forza Motorsports again, after more than a year, this time on my 360.

Although earlier I used to play on my 4:3 curved 29" TV. Now it is on a 42" Hitachi Plasma. And the difference is huge. I mean noticabely huge (not next gen huge).

It is a fabulous game.
But one thing majorly worries me. I don't remember this being an issue earlier (last time when I played FM1, on the Box). The Engine sound. I mean I play using Manual Transmission, with the bird's eye view usually (specially when there are other cars on the track, I can only play quick time trials with the bumper cam, more than 2 laps give me migrane tho).

Now coming back to the "issue", what bothers me is I usually only shift (up or down) based on my engine sound, when I am in the heat of a battle, I dont look at the rev meter / tacho meter or whatever, coz there's too much happening and I'd rather concentrate looking at the track and other cars, than to look at my RPM everytime I have to shift.), But for some reason my car's engine sound is too low than the equally powered AI car's engine sound on my speakers. It confuses me and annoys me and I always end up doing a mistake. Now note this, that I am using my TV's Speakers only which arent that good. But they're good enough for the AI Car's Engine Sound? I've tried all settings. I keep the music off completely and Tyre and Environment sound much less than Engine sound, and i've played around with this setting also, but it doesnt help. I've changed views also, like I know in PGR3 when you're using bumper cam or the cockpit cam, the sound of the engine is too low compared to when ur using the Bird's Eye cam / third person cam view..

Did anybody else have the same issue? This is really annoying me. I cant figure out whether it is my TV or it's the game that was designed in that way.. I just hope this doesnt happen to me when FM2 comes. This is the way I've played GT1/2/3/4 and it is now set in my system to play / drive like this only. Even in real, I hardly look at the tachometer for shifting..

If anybody knows what I am talking about and can help me, please do so.

Thanks!

I just checked with my original XBOX and 4:3 ration television and I do indeed see a tach. I use the farthest away birdseye view myself for most of my driving. If I get a chance I'll take a screenshot.

Oh I think you got me wrong. I said there is a Tach (on the right corner), but I don't really look at it to shift everytime (for the perfect redline shift). In GT4 I used to shift based on my car's engine sound (when I think it is about to scream, I'd shift, I wouldnt really look at the RPM waiting for the Engine to reach the RedLine). And in Forza 1 it seems your car's engine sound is much lower than the AI car's engine sound. Which confuses me on when to shift my own car. I know it's weird, and it is probably just me. But in the GT Series and even in GTR 1 and 2 on PC, I didnt realise this was a problem coz the Engine sound of your own car was much more prominant than the engine sound of AI Cars / Other Cars on track. I am not saying this is a flaw in the game or anything. It's just that it is annoying me for some reason and I need to get rid of this problem, coz I absolutely love this game.

Yes - I have this sound issue on my Xbox 360, and had it on the original Xbox. The opponent's engine sounds would be much louder than your own, unless you were in a loud car (ie NSX), but even then it isn't right. It could be something to do with the way the sound is set-up, as I've had a similar problem in another game before which was fixed after fiddling, but I haven't experimented enough to know a definite answer. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I tend not to play Forza Motorsport on the 360 anymore anyway. It plays well and all, but unfortunately my save file keeps corrupting. It's the same for a couple other Xbox games too, so I now tend to avoid Xbox games altogether.

Thanks for you post G.T, I am glad to know I am not the only one! :)
Although I didnt know about the corrupting part. I'll look into it. Thanks anyways!

I would be playing Forza on my 360 (I never got an original xbox) but it's so buggy at times it's dissappointing.

BTW, I thought Plasma wasn't good for gaming systems?

I havent played much yet, due to the sound issue. But of what I've played I didnt seem to buggy, not as yet though. As I said, havent played much.

And about Plasma, I think it's the other-way round. Gaming System's arent very good for Plasma. But these days Plasmas are also very reliable. And due to the Shere Specification Difference between cheap LCDs and Cheap Plasmas, I'd suggest you to go for a Plasma, coz I've been playing on this since over 4 months and it is rock solid with brilliant colors and contrast ratio. As I am from India, the 1080p LCD tvs and DLP Projection TVs are too expensive and the normal cheap LCDs are really bad in specifications. So plasmas are the best bet here. Although I used a Samsung 32" Bourdeux LCD and it was quite sad compared to what I have now (specially for Gaming).. Colors were nice but brightness and contrast ratio sucked and too many jaggies too, which is one thing you won't find in plasma, as much as in cheap LCD TVs.

Plasma burn in is the down fall, not specifications. Yes the picture is going to look better but burn-in can ruin the TV. And thats probably why they are cheaper. DLP is cheaper too but the suffer from poor lamp life compared to LCD. LCD may not have the best black levels or picture and sometimes cost more they are the most reliable type of non HDTV. My next TV is going to be a 47in 1080p for under 2k.

By the way i tried playing Froza again but the single player game structure and game menus aren't very good and dont hold my interest.c Also too many things i don't like about the game.

FM1 had alot of sound issues. Based on all the videos that have been released now though, I think FM2 is really going to sound fantastic.

I didn't think there were sound issues in FM1. Infact I think the audio is lightyears better than any Gran Turismo game.

I've been a GT fan since number one but i have to tell you, i just bought FM1 today and its much better than GT4. I do like or love my GT3, but this game is pretty good. Still working on getting the games physics down pat.

Back