REAL automatic gearboxes

• Thread starter Smuttysy
  • 15 comments
United Kingdom
Bristol, England
Smuttysy
Just wondering if anyone else has encountered a true automatic gearbox in the game, and which ones?

I found that the stock gearbox on the Mercedes SL55 AMG is a true automatic, and accelerates between changes, which has won me a couple of drags online, as the box is also good for just over 200mph.

So, anything else have this?

So, you're saying that a real automatic car can still accelerate when it's not in a gear? :odd:

No, but during the change from, lets say 3rd to 4th, with a regular manual gearbox it'll stop accelerating, maybe even lose 1 or 2mph, during the transition phase. The automatic has no transition phase, thus accelerates between gears. Try the car I've stated and you'll see exactly what I mean.
Also, if you haven't got the handbrake engaged it'll accelerate up to the idle speed, which in this car is around 8mph,all by itself.
(I never mentioned anything about it being out of gear, read it properly before posting)

Last edited:
I'm guessing you mean the car rolling while not pressing the gas?

Must have a low stall converter xD

Mercedes SL500 (Premium)

Suzuki Cervo (SR) (Premium) :)

The Cervo Is amazing fun! The SL500 I found when trying it as A drift car and failed terribly because it's box!

There are a handful. The R230 SL500 (and R230 SL55 AMG). The Jaguar XKR 2002. The Lancer Evolution GT-A. The Mitsubishi CZ-3 concept. The Nissan Skyline 350 GT-8. I *think* the SLR McLaren. There are a couple more that I can't think of at the moment. The 2001 Skyline GT-R concept (and the race version of it) both have are modeled for a torque converter, but I don't think that is accurate.

That so few of them were actually modeled correctly was one of my biggest annoyances with GT4, and PD didn't do much to fix it.

So, you're saying that a real automatic car can still accelerate when it's not in a gear? :odd:
He's talking about cars in GT5 that actually bothered to implement the torque converter.

Well, to replicate a "auto" gearbox you need to make sure you dont have any lag in acceleration when changing gears, thats quite important in drag racing, and nothing new. All my drag cars are setup so i acelerate all way from 0 to what ever.....Thats why you tune your gears so you get smooth acceleration all the way.

No, but during the change from, lets say 3rd to 4th, with a regular manual gearbox it'll stop accelerating, maybe even lose 1 or 2mph, during the transition phase. The automatic has no transition phase, thus accelerates between gears. Try the car I've stated and you'll see exactly what I mean.
Also, if you haven't got the handbrake engaged it'll accelerate up to the idle speed, which in this car is around 8mph,all by itself.
(I never mentioned anything about it being out of gear, read it properly before posting)

My manual car doesn't lose speed between gears.

Could be because the cars PD used ether had an AT or MT in them, thus making the cars with a MT shift like a MT even when using AT. (if you get my point)

Although I've never thought of it till now, my S10 (AT) still accelerates when changing gears (easily noticeable from 1st to 2nd) while other cars in GT fail to do so. Never bought a SL55, but I'll check it out.

The MT/AT setting (within the game) shouldn't make any difference when shifting using a gearbox like the ones I'm talking about. If it's a fast shifting manual it'll (virtually) engage the clutch, therefore will not have power running to the drive wheels for the split second during gear transition phases. Thus, you will either stop accelerating briefly or even lose a little speed.
An automatic doesn't have this, as there's no manually activated clutch, so shifting gears does not remove power from the drive. (Hence, no third pedal on a real automatic transmission car)

Not sure if this is on topic or not but here goes. I've noticed a few times while tuning my TVR Speed 12 that I'll be rolling, and when I apply the gas all the way to redline nothing happens as if the car is in neutral till the engine goes past redline then it engages. Not sure what causes that.

Lexus ISF.

If an automatic transmission was portrayed realistically in GT5, it will shift up depending on how hard you are accelerating (assuming of course you chose AT.) For instance, if you are on an economy drive, the engine will shift up sooner than it would if you were flooring it.

Lexus ISF.

If an automatic transmission was portrayed realistically in GT5, it will shift up depending on how hard you are accelerating (assuming of course you chose AT.) For instance, if you are on an economy drive, the engine will shift up sooner than it would if you were flooring it.
Unless you're in sport mode or semi-manual mode (on modern automatics).

Anyway, problem is that there are several kinds of automatic transmissions (torque converter equipped) that work differently and with different control logics and GT5 fails to represent them correctly.

Many older automatics for example even don't have a locking torque converter, or have one that locks only in top gear, and typically offer a "gear limiting" function (the classic D-3-2-1 or D-2-1 selector) as a the only possible form of gearbox control other than the throttle pedal.

PD could get the underused RA menu to use for such things (the activation of special options), for example, or even a combination of two or more buttons buttons. But that would be too much innovative for GT, I guess.

But first they'll have to make the countless number of passenger cars in the game that have an AT in real life to behave like a proper torque converter hydraulic AT.

Back