"Real"/physical garage [idea]

  • Thread starter Thread starter asmarti08
  • 23 comments
  • 1,961 views
Messages
20
Messages
FiveSeveN-
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but as soon as I saw the huge warehouse/garage of cars that sometimes shows when you start the game, a thought came to mind.

Here's what I'm talking about:



How amazing would it be if we could have one of these to store all our cars in?
We could even walk around (first person, little to no animation if need be) looking at them, and get in the one we want to use for the next race. Then it would load back into GT Life, either with a short animation of the car driving out of the garage, or just fading out as soon as we get in the car and start the engine.

The only issue I see is when our collection of cars becomes rather large (75+ ... or.. say 1,000?!). Would the system be able to show all those cars on the screen at once? Any ideas on how the cars would be "organized" in a garage?

This feature should be an option, though. I'm not sure how you would implement showing statistics on each vehicle (max power, transmission type, etc) if you wanted to see those quickly and easily. We should be able to choose between the physical garage, or the screen we have now where we can sort our cars and click on the one we want.

Do you think PD would ever do something like this? It would be so much more exciting seeing all the cars in a garage rather than just clicking on one on a screen.

Edit: Possible solution for those with a large collection of cars. Only our favorites can show up in this "real" garage (up to 100).
More on this: If the PS3 can't handle rendering 100 cars at once, maybe make a separate sublist (not "Favorites") for those we want in the garage, titled "Garage". Call our current "garage" our "Auto Collection" or something of the sort. In the triangle menu and on the "car page", insert an option for "Send to garage". This "Garage" list would be limited to 30 cars or whatever the PS3 can handle (something less than 100). Ay? :)
 
Last edited:
This is what i was hoping for , and the option to show your friends your car collection. I dont think the ps3 could handle it though
 
Exactly.

Just had an idea on how to handle a huge collection of cars. Only our favorites can show up in this "real" garage.
 
This is what i was hoping for , and the option to show your friends your car collection. I dont think the ps3 could handle it though

Just keep changing cars in your online profile, I got 60+ friends on GT5, many of them are constantly changing their option of 6 cars so others can see what they've got.

There's been all sorts of different variations, sometimes it 6 BMW's, sometimes it's 6 Skylines, 6 rally cars, road cars, tuned cars, Le Mans cars, DTM cars, Ferrari's, old skool classics etc etc. It's makes a change from grinding, racing or B Spec to just flick through my friends list and see what cars they''ve put up on show.

It's not perfect, a virtual garage would be much much better, but at least it's something.

👍
 
That's something I haven't made much use of, Highlander. I don't think I have enough friends, or friends that would even look at that, though. I certainly don't have 60+ friends on GT5. I would love to have a physical garage, though!

I don't think it would be impossible by any means. I updated my OP with a possible solution for huge car collections.
 
Project Gotham Racing 4 has the exact same thing they did it really well too
 
In Test Drive Unlimitted you buy homes and store you cars in various garages. You also have dealerships you drive to with showrooms. I wish GT6 would adopt TDU's system.
 
In Test Drive Unlimitted you buy homes and store you cars in various garages. You also have dealerships you drive to with showrooms. I wish GT6 would adopt TDU's system.

Another aspect of TDU I loved.
I can't wait for TDU2 next month. 👍
 
Me too, I have it on pre-order.
*back on topic* I think this is a great idea, I wish more games used a similar system to TDU.
 
PGR2 (I haven't played any of the later gameS) had a brilliant showroom feature, whenre you could walk around and look at the cars on offer. You could even take them for a test drive on a special track.

GT5 should have something like that. 👍
 
I just thought about the same today. Would be nice to choose between some garages, customize them and put certain cars in them. Theming would also be cool, like a muscle room, Le Mans 60-70' and 1980- room, Ferrari, etc.. Sharing that online would let you know what cars your friends have too. Of course it's just a bonus, but a very cool bonus to the game!
 
This would be just another waste of time. I wouldn't mind if you could skip it entirely. But come on guys it's just like the car delivery bs. How many times can I watch a car being delivered before I put a gun to my head? Why don't you guys come up with stuff that would actually make "PLAYING" a game more fun!
 
I just get out all my Matchbox cars and pretend they are in GT5.

P>S> It gets very messy doing oil changes and wheel swaps seem to damage the axles, and do not dare to mention the paint spills on the carpet when I want to repant.
 
This would be just another waste of time. I wouldn't mind if you could skip it entirely. But come on guys it's just like the car delivery bs. How many times can I watch a car being delivered before I put a gun to my head? Why don't you guys come up with stuff that would actually make "PLAYING" a game more fun!

Yes, that car delivery animation is the worst, I agree. We're forced to see it hundreds of times, and it's just redundant and pathetic, IMO.

I think having a garage (like the one seen below), however, would give the player a place to just sit back and admire/reflect on what they have earned (or not earned). It would make the game more immersive, for me at least.

 
I think the loading time will be horrendous...........
 
It shouldn't be more than loading into a race (if the amount of cars to be in the garage is capped at 30 or some other reasonable amount).
 
That's what I will call horrendous, to load 30 sec just to get in the garage and see maybe 15 cars, and another 30 sec when you change the sorting order or view another group.
 
if it showed only your favorites that would be awesome!!!!!!!!'

Start the petition or add to the already large list of useful features we want in GT5 or
GT6
 
I think they should keep it as it is. It already takes far too long to load the cars in the garage so what you are suggesting would probably make it a lot worse. Maybe an idea for PS4.
 
This would make the game more immersive but there are many other things that could be done too.
- Another thread suggested making the championship/race experience more realistic by having the cars do a (AI driven) warm-up lap. Also a qualifier/test session would help realism (as was in GT4 championships).
- Having the tuning section as a real shop with parts displayed on shelves instead of a list and some pictures.
- To make Bspec more enjoyable why not have sponsor interest at certain levels where Bob must keep a good win/lose ratio or lose the deal? (He'd get a sponsor bonus for winning)
- After the race is over have a cool-down lap, at the end of which you must pit to exit the race rather than a 'finished' as you cross the line.
- And stated by others numerous times, the use of Bob for enduro races so when you've raced for 3/4/6 hours you can switch and Bob can take over rather than having to pause the game or spend a whole 24 hours without sleep or food or anything else.

These are some ideas I've come across and a few of my own. I like the idea of a garage to put my prized cars in but there are also so many other things that can be done to enhance the realism which I don't think PD have any intention of doing. Plus the PS3 needs to be able to handle these things which it may not be able to do.
 
Back