REAL RACING SIM - 75 Min Enduro: AMG Vision GT @ Matterhorn Riffelsee, SAT 12/14, 11:59AM ESTFinished 

• Thread starter kirktreks
  • 15 comments
United States
Near Louisville, KY
kirktreks
Capn Kirk Treks
Real Racing Sim - GT6 Saturday Endurance

Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo
@
Matterhorn Riffelsee
in

img.php

Thanks to asdfg11 for the countdown timer!
General Info About Races: Our goal is to provide a racing simulation experience for everyone. Real off-road grip, weak slipstream, tire wear on, and yes, heavy damage in longer endurance races (light damage for sprints)! ABS is optional.

The potential for damage encourages respect and sportsmanship among everyone, making penalties unnecessary -- GT6's penalty system is easily gamed, often penalizes the victim and does nothing to further the "racing simulation".

Endurance races are usually long enough to require at least one pit for tires and/or gas depending on the car. We also enjoy racing real life cars, and offer a wide range of racing experiences, from VW Buses to F1's, some tuned, some untuned, you name it. Feel free to check out the Facebook page ( http://tinyurl.com/GT5-LPP ) to post race suggestions and say hello!

Date & Time:
Saturday, December 14, 11:59 AM EST
Saturday, December 14, 8:59 AM PST
Saturday, December 14, 4:59 PM GMT
Click here for time zone converter
Race Officials: alefin, kirktreks or anyone designated by them

Host: Friends-only room will be opened by alefin or kirktreks with normal room succession thereafter

Race Length: 75 minutes (not including qualifying)

Requirements: Fun, clean and fair drivers

Course:
Matterhorn – Riffelsee / Time & Weather (light)
Length: 2.05 mi, Longest Straight: 0.18 mi, Elevation difference: 675.5 ft, Corners: 15
Matterhorn.jpg

Room & Car Regulations:
Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo
Mercedes-benz-amg-vision-gran-turismo-6-003-1.jpg

Tuning Prohibited lounge
Oil Change, Engine Rebuilds, Chassis Maintenance, Brake Balance, etc.
are allowed as long as you can get on the track

Racing Hard Tires

You must pit at least twice
(enforced by the room with 50 second penalties per missed pit;
GT6 appears to count pitting at the end of the final lap - at least for the leader)

• Race Mode: P Q R - Race With Qualifier
  • Room Privacy: Friends Only
  • -------------------------------
  • Room Comment: RRSim Endurance - AMG Vision GT
  • Race Type: Race for Real
  • Fixed Room Host: No
  • Max No. of Participants: 16 ppl
  • Race Quality: High
  • Voice Chat Quality: Standard
  • Qualifier Format: Race Alone
  • Qualifier Time Limit: 10 Min
  • Start Type: Manual Rolling Start - see instructions below
  • Grid Order: Fastest First
  • Boost: Off
  • Penalty: None
  • Tire wear/Fuel consumption: Fast
  • Grip reduction on Wet/Edge: Real
  • Minimum No. of Pit Stops: 2x
  • Require Tire Type Change: Off
  • Race Finish Delay: 180 Sec
  • Visual Damage: On
  • Mechanical Damage: Heavy
  • Slipstream Strength: Weak
  • ABS: Available
  • All other assists: Off
  • Weather: 30%
  • Weather Changeability: 2x (of 60)
  • Surface Water at Start: 0%
  • Time: 6:30 AM
  • Time Progression: 2x (of 60)
Qualifying & Rolling Starts:
  • The room opens on or before the stated time (refer to the countdown timer above if you're not on the East Coast USA).
  • GT6 automatic qualifying will begin promptly after a 10 minute practice/free-run, and will last 10 to 20 minutes - see room settings above for details.
  • GT6 will place everyone in the correct order based on qualifying results. When the race countdown completes, everyone will stay in the starting grid order behind the pole/pace car.
  • The driver in the pole/pace position will set a pace not exceeding 50 MPH / 80 KPH, and will begin the race by breaking that pace.
  • This is not a full pace lap! The pole/pace car may break pace and begin the race whenever all cars are moving together in a tight pack. Please do not overtake other drivers until the pole/pace car breaks pace and begins accelerating to race speed. Then, THE RACE IS ON.
Full Course Caution Until Clean Start:
  • This policy applies until we complete one continuous clean lap or two continuous minutes of clean racing on longer courses, without multi-car incidents. Cautions will only be available at the beginning of the race. We will repeat it as many times as necessary to get an incident free start.
  • If there are any multi-car incidents, where any driver is knocked well off the track by another driver, we will call a FULL COURSE CAUTION. The policy does not apply to individual drivers losing control, even if an offending driver has minor contact with other drivers who continue racing.
  • Once a caution is issued, please do not overtake any drivers, even if you are heading to the pits.
  • All drivers (not in the pits) will form-up for another Manual Rolling Start behind the current race leader, who will maintain pace speed until everyone is in formation again, and restart according the approach used at the beginning of the race.
Other Notes: The GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines applies with some changes/additions.
  1. Bump drafting is allowed where it makes sense.
  2. Keep racing on the track, regardless of incident, unless cars behind you are approaching. Time, depending on severity of incident, will be added to your final race time once complaints are filed and replays checked. If you decide to allow the other driver(s) to pass because of a collision, be absolutely sure that you will not be in the way of other drivers. When in doubt, keep racing.
  3. Drivers that are to be lapped are under no obligations to move out of the way, as long as they are not intentionally blocking. Most tracks have many sections to overtake. If you're faster, you'll find a way to pass.
  4. There will be no race restarts for people that disconnect, unless something extreme happens like half the room disconnects at the same time. Common sense will dictate what's appropriate. People that disconnect will still earn points (where applicable) depending on when they disconnected.
  5. Anyone found violating the car regulations will be harshly penalized, i.e. dropped into last place in the race results. "I didn't know" is not a valid reason.
  6. Track boundaries are generally the same as those enforced by the GT5 penalty system and as defined by section 16: Offline Racing in the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules linked above. See the illustration below. City tracks and city-like parts of certain tracks, where there are no run-off areas and guard rails/armco/retaining walls (ex: much of Trial Mountain, except near the front straight), may not have off-track areas. When in doubt, ask the host.
  7. Occasional unintended violation of track boundaries will be tolerated, particularly if you do not advance your position, you visibly attempt to correct a bad line by braking, etc. or you have lost control of your vehicle. Patterns of abuse will not be tolerated, and complaints will be investigated as noted in #2 above.
2mhufxe.jpg

How to Sign-Up: Just post > GTPlanet username (Playstation Network username)

** This race is open to all Real Racing Sim regulars and past participants on a first come basis. New sign-ups are welcome, but signing-up on this thread does not guarantee entry if the room fills up. Please be on time. **

Thanks for reading, everyone!

Attachments

• Matterhorn.jpg
    Matterhorn.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Mercedes-benz-amg-vision-gran-turismo-6-003-1.jpg
    Mercedes-benz-amg-vision-gran-turismo-6-003-1.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
*** Reserved for Race Results and Notes ***

Special Note: All regulars please make sure to re-read all the regulations. With the switch to GT6, I took the opportunity to make several updates, not all of which were strictly related to GT6. Most notably, the maximum pace speed is now 50 MPH / 80 KPH, which is 10 MPH less than before. Also note that we will be using the new GT6 qualifying functionality.

>> Also, for anyone who read through the regs earlier in the week, please note that I recently corrected a reference I made in the Track Boundaries note, where I added a clarification about city tracks. I incorrectly cited Deep Forest, when I really meant Trial Mountain, where the entire back-half of the track and other areas are city-like in terms of having no run-off areas and where the entire paved area is available regardless of painted markings; ex: between the tunnels (yellow paint), the end of the back straight (yellow paint) and along the retaining wall by the reservoir (white line). However, from the crest of the hill down to the reservoir, along to the front straight and through the first tunnel, all track verges, lines and curbs apply as boundaries.

Lessons Learned:

GT6 requires you to buy intermediate and rain tires in advance, if you want/need to use them.

Also, even though the controls are different, it does not seem that Gran Turismo's weather model has advanced and is still all or nothing. I may try cranking it down to 1 X and starting at no more than 20%, or just locking it in between 30 and 50%. Suggestions are welcome. What I would love is to cap the track saturation below 50%, and even better get weather forcasts during the race like pit crews in real races do. At Matterhorn, we all seemed to think we were dealing with a rain/snow mix, which seemed different from GT5.

While I wanted to get endurance racing back under way, I think it is better to stick with Sprint sessions, while the transition to GT6 gets up to speed. I am also looking for feedback on favorite cars to race, tracks, time of day, etc. I am particularly interested in doing GT2 / GT3 racing, but will accept any suggestions.

Race Results

50 Laps
Rain began at about the half-way point and accumulated to about 70% by race end

1. T. Coertjens (Fryto1983)
2. KirkTrex (kirktreks)
3. B. Smith (bssmu)
4. S.Carroll (racefan8850)

Sig1611 was not able to connect to the room. Phil, al, Ty, elmo, we missed you!

20131214_134656 (800x261).jpg

20131214_134636 (800x268).jpg

Last edited:
Please put me on the sign-up sheet :)

Fryto (Fryto1983)

I really enjoyed racing those Cappuccino's with you guys a couple of weeks ago. This looks like it will be a blast as well :D

Thanks guys. I will send/accept PSN friend requests later today. I may also open a practice/sprint room in the AMG VGT @ new tracks after 8:30 PM EST, tonight.

Still planning to open a room, but it will probably be more like 9:30 PM EST -- I agreed to sub in on a friend's bowling team.

Finally home. Practice / Sprints room open!

ID -> 1472-4711-0467-9857-4212

Same specs as above but sprints with light damage, no pits needed, grid start and no qualifying between. Also a public room to invite competition.

Was out there for a while and had one practice race with a couple of blokes, and got in some good practice.

Now off to bash heads in a dirty room!

Last edited:
Sorry - Fryto - I thought we were already friends, but we pobably just both raced in alefin's old GT5 lounge. It will be up in a few minutes.

It is up.

Last edited:
I must say, despite the low attendance I enjoyed every lap of it. This track is just excellent to keep you entertained, even when there's not much traffic on track. You need to keep concentrated or you overshoot a turn before you know it.

The sudden rain was a nice surprise, until you guys found out that the rain tires didn't come standard with the purchase of racing hards. Well, it's a good thing we found this out on our first GT6 endurance, so it's a lesson learned indeed.

Luckily it only affected the last ten laps of the race. The first few percent of surface water didn't have any effect on my lap times I must say. My fastest was a 1:15.7xx on lap 29 with 3% surface water. Around lap 35 my times became slower until I pitted for Inters on lap 40. By then my lap times were 1:20 - 1.22 on Racing Hards. On the fresh Intermediates I managed 1:19. I forgot to check the water % but I think it was around 25-30% by then.

One funny note on those Intermediates: like @kirktreks mentioned, it sometimes felt as it was rather freezing rain then rain (would be actually appropriate at Matterhorn ;)). For me the weirdness was the difference between Racing Hards and Intermediates: The intermediates were giving me higher corner speeds in the rain, but I clearly felt that the traction out of the corners was actually better with the slicks. Note that this was only with 20-ish % surface water, but still... weird.

Nonetheless, it was a great experience and I had a great time. Hopefully we'll do more endurances when more people are transitioning from the single player.

And this track just HAS to be used again at some point for an endurance. It's too much fun not to :D

Back