REAL RACING SIM - Endurance Single Races Questionnaire - Give us YOUR feedback!

• Thread starter kirktreks
  • 6 comments
United States
Near Louisville, KY
kirktreks
Capn Kirk Treks
Real Racing Sim -- GT6 Endurance & Sprints

| Single Race Questionnaire |

Dear Gran Turismo 6 and GT Planet Community...

We need your help to develop races that most of us will enjoy and that work with your schedule. In past we have been very diverse in our race set-ups, but there is clearly a sweet spot in terms of car and track selections that attract the most consistent attention, as with Miatas, GT300s, etc. While I still want to race odd vehicles like VW Buses, it makes sense to cater to everyone's preferences.

If you are interested in joining us for Real Racing Sim's Clean (but relaxed), No Penalty, No Assist, Full Damage, Endurance & light damage Sprint sessions, please take a few minutes to share your responses to these questions:

1. What cars, types or classes of cars do you most like to race?
(ex: LMP, GT, Classic Muscle, FF/FR/MR/4WD, etc.)

2. What tuning options to you prefer?
(ex: tuning prohibited/unlimited, PP, HP, Weight restricted, tires, etc.)

3a. Do you prefer single or very limited make races or a variety of cars on the track?
3b. And are there certain car match-ups that you want to run?

4. What tracks or types of tracks do you like / not like? (ex: World Tracks, City Tracks, short, long, new/improved GT6 tracks, etc.)

5. Are you most interested in Sprint Sessions or Endurance, and what length?
(ex: 10 to 20 min. sprints with total session lasting 2 hours, 60 to 90 min. endurance, etc.)

6. What day and time of the week best works for you?

7. Please share any other comments or suggestions to improve the racing experience for you.
Short of turning off damage, turning on assists and penalties, or getting really up tight and strict (we have rarely seen any really serious cheating in almost three years of running weekly endurance races, with the last year and a half of that posted here on GT Planet), anything else is fair game.​

Thank you for your time and continued support! I will post my own answers below.

>. KirkTrex >-O (kirktreks)

General Info About Races: Our goal is to provide a racing simulation experience for everyone. Real off-road grip, weak slipstream, tire wear on, and yes, heavy damage in longer endurance races (light damage for sprints)! ABS is optional.

The potential for damage encourages respect and sportsmanship among everyone, making penalties unnecessary -- GT6's penalty system is easily gamed, often penalizes the victim and does nothing to further the "racing simulation".

Endurance races are usually long enough to require at least one pit for tires and/or gas depending on the car. We also enjoy racing real life cars, and offer a wide range of racing experiences, from VW Buses to F1's, some tuned, some untuned, you name it. Feel free to check out the Facebook page ( http://tinyurl.com/GT5-LPP ) to post race suggestions and say hello!

Last edited:
I like a wide variety, including low powered street legal vehicles, classic muscle and odd and older cars like VW buses. My favorite racing cars are GT2/GT3 and GT300 mid-powered cars, but occassionally faster LMP, and Formula cars. Modern American muscle like Shelby GT500, Boss 302, Charger/Challenger, Camaro, Corvette are fun options, but modern muscle from Europe and Japan are great too.

Some cars are impossible to handle without tuning (the horribly imbalanced X-Bow comes to mind), but I also like the level playing field offered by tuning prohibited and loaner/one-make rooms. Plus stock set-ups require less preparation. So, my preference is to rarely allow completely unrestricted tuning (about 10% of races), and PP/Power/Weight restrictions 25% of the time, and the rest with no tuning.

3a. Do you prefer single or very limited make races or a variety of cars on the track?
While I would love to increase the variety of cars on the track in a single race, other than a select few sets of cars (ex: certain WRX vs. EVO combinations), it is a big hassle to find a way to equalize performance across them, even with supposedly evenly matched cars like GT300/GT500. Therefore, it is usually easier and fairer to post up single make races. Also, I am not going to precertify car-specific tunings that cannot be enforced by the room (differring PP/HP/Weight restrictions, or specific Suspension, Tranny set-up etc.) – not even sure if GT6 has a way to share cars for such inspections.

I would love to run a recurring set of GT2/GT3 and GT300 single races.

4. What tracks or types of tracks do you like / not like?
Prefer real World Tracks and occasionally City Tracks. In particular, I love longer tracks like Le Mans/Sarthe – especially 2005 with chicanes, which has less paved run-off than later versions. Also Spa, Ascari, Motegi Road or East versions and any version of Nürburgring that includes the long Nordschleife section. There are select few Original Tracks that I like like High Speed Ring, Eiger Nordwand (Short Track only), all versions of Cape Ring and Apricot Hill is also growing on me. I do not care much for originals like Deep Forest, Trail Mountain, Kart Space and the dirt/snow tracks. I could see using the GT Arena track for carts and slower cars.

I am fine with hosting Sprints, if they are longer ones of 15 to 30 minutes, but I still want to run 1 to 2 hour endurance races.

1st choice – Fri/Sat evening between 9 PM ET and 2 AM ET (USA)
2nd choice – Sat/Sun between noon and 4 PM ET (USA)
3rd choice – Sun to Thu - 9 PM ET to 1 AM ET (USA)

7. Please share any other comments or suggestions to improve the racing experience for you.
Again, short of turning off damage, turning on assists and penalties, or getting really up tight and strict (we have rarely seen any really serious cheating in almost three years of running weekly endurance races, with the last year and a half of that posted here on GT Planet), anything else is fair game.

Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!​

Last edited:
My two cents:

Several classes appeal to me. I can't name an absolute favorite, but you can get me online for any of the following :) :

Racecars:
GT3
GT300
GT500
low PP touring cars (MX5 TC, Cappuccino TC, CR-Z TC, Mégane Trophy, Scirocco TC, etc.)
Karts

Roadcars:
Lightweights like the LCC Rocket and KTM X-bow Street and R
Tuned 550pp roadcars

I'm for strictly regulated tuning options, to avoid having people use performance exploits that will inevitable turn up in the game at some point.
From my above list of car classes, I prefer 'No tuning allowed' (except for the 550pp tuner cars of course ;)).
For races/events where you're allowed to tune your cars, I prefer a PP limit + a rule that states that you're only allowed to lower your PP by 15 points by using the power limiter and weight addition.
This is simply to avoid fully tuned cars, which are then de-tuned to the PP limit only to have maximum torque and horses throughout their entire RPM range.

Limited by class (e.g. GT3), with a maximum of two classes running together in the same race.
When running two classes, I prefer a fairly large performance gap between the different classes. E.g. GT3 + GT300 , GT500 + GT300, GT500 + Mazda and CR-Z TCs, LMP + GT3,...)

See 3a for multiclass races
For same class races I'd like to see a low pp Touring Car endurance with MX5 TC, Cappuccino TC, CR-Z TC, Mégane Trophy, Scirocco TC, S2000 LM, and all the ones I'm forgetting, thrown together :)

4. What tracks or types of tracks do you like / not like? (ex: World Tracks, City Tracks, short, long, new/improved GT6 tracks, etc.)
I have a few absolute favorites that all share the same characteristic(s): either narrow and/or technical
Like: Matterhorn (Riffelsee and Rotenboden), Nordschleife, Bathurst, Spa, London, Côte d'Azûre, Rome.
I also like Trial Mountain a lot. It's not quite narrow or very technical, but it has a very appealing flow to me that I can't get bored of.
I have yet to get to know Ascari, but it has all potential to become a favorite of mine as well.

Dislike: Tsukuba, High Speed Ring, Autumn Ring

(ex: 10 to 20 min. sprints with total session lasting 2 hours, 60 to 90 min. endurance, etc.)
Endurances during the weekend, sprints during the week :)
Endurances: 60-90 minutes
Sprints: 15-20 minutes

Saturday (EU evening (from 6pm CET), US noon)

On weekdays I'm usually online between 9pm and 10.30pm CET , but it's difficult to join at set times.

Following are already like it is now I think:
-Light damage for sprints
-Heavy damage for endurance
-No assists except ABS
-No penalties by the game, only by designated race stewards or lobby owner.

Some other things I always appreciate online:
-Strict rules regarding tuning
-Free tire choice during endurance races (if the tire model allows it, didn't test enough yet: what I mean is that one compound shouldn't have a great advantage over the others. E.g. in GT5 Racing Softs had the advantage of lasting almost as long as Medium or Hards, but were several seconds a lap quicker. If that's the case in GT6 again tires should be strictly regulated as well)

That's it for now, I'll post more if I think of anything else :)

This is just what I have been looking for! Since my PC packed up iRacing and GTR2 have been parked and I have not stopped driving GT6 since its release. I didn't do much online GT5 racing so my car choices don't take into account much experience of online GT. I am getting into GT6 online but I can't see it being great without arrangements with like-minded racers, like this. I'm in London so the likelihood of making the times might not work, or the ping, but I'll give it a go just incase.

Preference is LMPs and GTs (mixed classes would be great), road cars sensibly tuned (i.e. RX-7's with 400bhp rather than 800bhp beasts overpowering the chassis) but otherwise I would be happy with absolutely anything! (apart from a Honda Fit RS!!!!!)

So.... essentially what Fryto said.

PP with control tyres or power-to-weight equalised with control tyres

Prefer a variety of cars as long as they are equal (ish!) and agree with Fryto if it is multiclass they need a big performance gap.
I'm easy!

4. What tracks or types of tracks do you like / not like?
World Tracks and Traditional GT series tracks mainly. City tracks only with low power fun handling cars.

10 to 20 min. sprints with total session lasting 2 hours is fine, 60 to 120 min. for endurance. I just would not want to drive, say, an El Camino round Nurburgring for 2 hours but a GT3 then no problem.

I'm in London (EST + 5) so 12 - 7pm EST weekdays and 12pm - 12am EST at the weekends so the likelihood of making it might be slim but worth signing-up nonetheless in-case!

Happy with currently suggested points. Just everything turned off (apart from blindspot as it is helpful since we don't have the peripheral vision of real racing!)

I prefer to mix it up in the power, weight and drive train. I like 500-800 pp FR or MR cars the best though with a mix of road and race cars.

No tuning at all - except for breaking the car in

Limited make

Not sure about match-ups, I'd like to do races in these cars. Probably want to stay with cheap & prize cars for at least a few weeks

'13 Boss 302
BMW Z4 GT3
Corvette C7
Other Vision GT cars as they become available
Cadillac CTS-V coupe
Ford Focus ST
Shifter Karts
MX-5
'13 Viper GTS
Subaru BRZ
Subaru STi

Like: Spa, Matterhorn, Laguna Seca, Autumn Ring, Rome, Nurburgring GP, Silverstone

20 min for Sprints, 60 for endurance. Would be fun to try standing starts for some races

Saturday morning + afternoon
Sunday morning or early Evening

I also like no assists and heavy damage for endurance, light damage for sprints, but with the option for intermediate / rains if needed. Some races with rain the whole race may be interesting

A little mix of everything works for me, like we were doing before in GT5.

Whatever

3a. Do you prefer single or very limited make races or a variety of cars on the track? Whatever
3b. And are there certain car match-ups that you want to run? Whatever

4. What tracks or types of tracks do you like / not like? Whatever

Whatever

6. What day and time of the week best works for you? The Sunday evenings was working fine for me. The Sunday morning you just did with the AMG VGT made no sense to me at all.

Whatever

BTW Kirk, that little symbol at the end of your name on GT6 looks like you're winking at someone....

Common - you haven't been showing for most Sundays evenings for a good while now, and alefin said midday weekends (East Coast USA) are better for him, so we have been trying it -- plus it allows for our European friends to join during weekend late afternoons GMT.

I am trying whatever I can to pull people together and attract new people to keep it going. If there are times and set-ups that attract more participation, I am ready to break out of the old routine.

I seem to be on my own lately, and any support would go a long way.

Thanks to everyone who already gave feedback. Keep it coming.

Last edited:
Back