"Real" Steering for Premium Cars

• Thread starter Megacack
  • 14 comments
Megacack
I'm pretty sure that there have been posts about this, but i'm going to post anyway. Gran Turismo 5 (Soon to be 6 :D) has some of the best graphics and physics for a console sim, but why does the game use an "arcade" style of steering for the cars? If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the right it just slightly tilts right instead of doing full rotation. Although many racing sims have done it before, I think Assetto Corsa's steering hands are the best I've seen so far. It's a small complaint and by no means its a game breaker, but it would be cool to see true rotation in the steering wheels.

I'm pretty sure that there have been posts about this, but i'm going to post anyway. Gran Turismo 5 (Soon to be 6 :D) has some of the best graphics and physics for a console sim, but why does the game use an "arcade" style of steering for the cars? If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the right it just slightly tilts right instead of doing full rotation. Although many racing sims have done it before, I think Assetto Corsa's steering hands are the best I've seen so far. It's a small complaint and by no means its a game breaker, but it would be cool to see true rotation in the steering wheels.

It is a minor complaint. I think that PD have their hands full as it is.

This has been a discussion when GT5 came along.
It is just the animation that doesn't have 900 degrees.

It is a minor complaint. I think that PD have their hands full as it is.
Yeah, it's just more of a wish then a complaint. I honestly don't care if it happens or not, it would just be a cool feature to see the wheel steer all 900 degrees (or whatever degree of steering the car you are using has).

An early GT5 Prologue version had it. Even GT4 had it! It looked a bit sloppy, but it was a cool feature.

Last edited:
Well, technically there were cars with a fully modeled interior and although you couldn't place the camera inside the cockpit, you could see the steering animation and shifting. And the steering animation was indeed a full 900 degrees.

The same animation was used for early GT5 Prologue builds.

Why did they remove it? I heard it looked awkward and not quite right, but I'd imagine they'd be able to perfect it by now.

Glitchy or not, it is still better then only turning the wheel 90 degrees one or another side

here an old video with that animation

If the option was there I'd remove the steering animation from all cars. It's annoying and unnecessary for me with a wheel, to see another wheel in front of me when I'm in cockpit view.

Why did they remove it? I heard it looked awkward and not quite right, but I'd imagine they'd be able to perfect it by now.

It did look kind of awkward. Sometimes the driver couldn't decide where to place his hands and ended up making complete mess out of his arms. In GT4 it was fine because you couldn't really see it all the time, but with GT5's cockpit view, things are more obvious. Add to that the paddle shifters in some cars and I'm sure it would be an awful mess. I think that's why they took it out.

Latest Posts

Back