*Real Vid* next level of GT4 rally realism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greyout
  • 22 comments
  • 1,910 views
They portrayed it on that clip like he did a hit and run or something. The rally drivers JOB is to race, not stop to see if people are okay. Everyone that goes to a rally to watch and stands right on the side of the road knows (or SHOULD know) that they run a huge risk of getting killed or seriously injured. But they do it anyway. The driver nor anybody associated with the rally is responsible because the spectators are there at their own risk. ...stupid newscasters.
 
^
but still, it's like killing people and 'hit and run'
 
Haha - damn Dori, I hope I never meet you on track. Some of the greatest drivers wouldn't be here today if drivers didn't pull over to help out, Niki Lauda being a prime example. Carlos Sainz lost control of his car a few years back, at a very well organized event (crowd well back), and still managed to hit 4 people, some of whom had to go to the hospital including a 9yr old girl. He chose not to continue with the rally, a decision backed byt Peugot, as has several other rally drivers that have had freak accidents that have caused injury or death.

You're right it is his job to race, however, if I ran into a crowd and sent a father 15ft in the air and down a hill while simultaneousely squashing his son underneath my car I bet you I would not continue, an if my team had any objections that would definately be the last race I would ever be willing to run with them.
 
this is so sick! sure its his job to race, but that means driving from start to finish ON the road and not to drive right into a group of spectators...

how can one dare to drive on as if nothing happened, when he just crashed so hard into a crowd that his front end is smashed in???

of course accidents happen. everyone who watches a race or rallye should know that it can be dangerous and i would not say drivers should be blamed for the injury and death they may cause as they are indeed supposed to go fast and may loose control without intention, but whoever that was should be banned from any motorsport event for his lifetime because he just continued as if nothing happened. appearantly the driver did not care at all and still wanted to score.

i fear that if that happened to me i would not be able to drive a rallycar again for a long time.
 
Well that's true, and a lot of it can depend on the situation... I'm just saying that it's the spectators own damn fault for being there. They know what risks they run being as close to the cars as they are.
 
dori-san
Well that's true, and a lot of it can depend on the situation... I'm just saying that it's the spectators own damn fault for being there. They know what risks they run being as close to the cars as they are.
so do you not think maybe the driver was driving faster than he was able to control eh.someone died there true maybe they were too close but the driver should have slowed down
 
either way its both peoples fault

the drivers, and the spectators

the drivers know the risks they run, and the spectators know their's

so really its kinda equal for both of them.. hearing the tires squeal, the driver did his best to not hit them (but then im sure that locked up front wheels causing him to go right into crowd)...

but ya.. i dont agree with that whole leaving and continuing (even since he did.. i bet he didnt get far :D his front end was smushed!)
 
Thats the kind of Hit you stop for. Had he bounced off a wall and not hit anyone then it would be ok to continue, but when you plow into a crowd of people, it's time to stop. There's more important things in life than just getting the fastest stage time, which he was screwed on anyway with the suspension that screwed up.
 
:eek: did you notice the damage to the front fascia? I know if I was driving I'd have stopped. And if I was the event organizer I'd delay the rally until the scene can be cleared, even if that means a loss - just out of respect for the injured (and later deceased) parties.
 
dori-san
The rally drivers JOB is to race, not stop to see if people are okay.
wut about his job as a normal human being? 💡

i'd stop and get the out of the car,
human life > 1 race
 
I agree kind of sick of the driver of that car not to stop and help the injurred.

Not a cool movie like that one, but similar and pertinent to the discussion.

The 1955 Mercedes LeMans 24 Hour race crash. 82 people killed 76 "maimed". Mercedes withdrew their other cars after the accident and did not return for 30+ years. The only reason that the entire race was not cancelled that year was because the race officials were worried that the traffic jam of the fans leaving would delay the ambulances.

Probably the most deadly motorsports accident, but I don't know for sure...
 
alright, I guess my comment didn't come across as I had intended. Yes I'd have stopped too, basically the point I was trying to state was that they are well aware that their life is at risk when standing there. If I were driving I definitely would have stopped, I was just saying that maybe to that guy at that point, the race was more important? I can imagine it... "Stupid people, get the **** out of my way! I don't have time for this s**t. I'm gonna win this stage, dammit!" But yeah, I gues I was sort of defending his actions. Which was stupid to do, he should have stopped. But he shouldn't be sentenced is all.
 
That happenned here in Portugal in the WRC round we used to have till 2001. It didn't happen in 1998 like the website says, more like late 80's, early 90's.

The presence of spectators ON the road was constant. I'd show you some video clips from the crowd pulling away from the cars... Abolutely jaw-dropping... Just imagine driving through thousands of people at 100+ km/h

Fortunately this stupid behaviour doesn't exist anymore... FIA tightened the safety rules and nowadays there are special spectator zones, and the stages are monitored by helicopter to prevent this sort of tragedy.
 
dori-san
...If I were driving I definitely would have stopped...

did you not hear the tires squeal like mad? :sick:
im pretty sure he did his best to try to stop, it looked pretty wet.. and tires were locked up so he had no chance of ..doing anything really..

once your tires are locked up.. your gonna slide in the direction your going, and friction braking is the fastest there is, im sure it tore his tires up, but if he tried to turn, it probably would have nocked out 10 people rather than 1, since he would be sliding sideways

so technically its more of the spectators fault than the drivers; but driving off was pointless lol im sure he lost, and im sure the engine and suspension was damaged pretty badly
 
The people were stupid for being there, the organizers were stupid for not telling people where they shouldbe, the stewards were stupid to not make them move, and the driver should go to hell for not getting out and helping. What kind of person could do that. Personally, I think the driver did nothing wrong until he drove away. Up until that point not only would he be on the side of the law, he would also have done nothing wrong in my opinion. But leaving the scene of the accident, in nearly any country could send him to prison for a long time, as well it should.
 
XCNuse
did you not hear the tires squeal like mad? :sick:
im pretty sure he did his best to try to stop, it looked pretty wet.. and tires were locked up so he had no chance of ..doing anything really..
I think he ment stop after and check if everyone was ok insted of driving off to finish the rally. :dopey:
 
I could be mistaken, but in American sporting events if someone dies the event is pretty much over.
 
digerydingo
Carlos Sainz lost control of his car a few years back, at a very well organized event (crowd well back), ...

The crowds in WRC sanctioned events are not held well back. Not in the least.

How close they let people stand to the track keeps amazing me, or that people would actually go stand in the places they do at rally events.

I cannot stress the insanity enough.
 
sn00pie
The crowds in WRC sanctioned events are not held well back. Not in the least.

How close they let people stand to the track keeps amazing me, or that people would actually go stand in the places they do at rally events.

I cannot stress the insanity enough.

Hey, if they're dumb enough to stand ON the course, I have no problem with a driver continuing the race after he's split such a spectator into several pieces. I only feel bad for the driver who has to live with that memory, and also the fact that his view is now cluded with red spray.
 
Lancerevo911
I think he ment stop after and check if everyone was ok insted of driving off to finish the rally. :dopey:
yes, that is correct.
 
LoudMusic
Hey, if they're dumb enough to stand ON the course, I have no problem with a driver continuing the race after he's split such a spectator into several pieces. I only feel bad for the driver who has to live with that memory, and also the fact that his view is now cluded with red spray.

lol I doubt he would continue the rally if that happened? :yuck:
They'll have to re-name the rally to Mortal Kombat WRC Edition :crazy:
 
Back