Realistic driver assists and gearboxes?

Australia
Australia
Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding driver aids - is there any word on these being implemented realistically per car? Not talking about assists aimed at adjusting the difficulty for beginners or the like, but more wondering if the ingame cars will match their real life counterparts in this department.

For example, GT3 cars have adjustable traction control and ABS as standard, do we know if the GT3 cars ingame will be the same?

And the same question goes for transmissions: some types of gearboxes don't require use of a clutch at all, while others might need a clutch and blip on the downshift, so on and so forth. Are these different gearboxes represented?

Thanks in advance.

Also wanted to give a thumbs-up to the GTPlanet community. I've never even owned a Sony console before so wouldn't have thought to find myself here, but the information I've found on this forum about Project CARS has been fantastic and gave me the extra info needed for me to decide that I definitely wanted the game!

Cheers

Also wanted to give a thumbs-up to the GTPlanet community. I've never even owned a Sony console before so wouldn't have thought to find myself here, but the information I've found on this forum about Project CARS has been fantastic and gave me the extra info needed for me to decide that I definitely wanted the game!

I don't have the definite answers for you, but I have to reply to this. This Project CARS section on GTP has been nothing short of fantastic for non WMD members who crave the information regarding the game. So thankyou from me as well WMD members.

There is an option to use real driving aids for ABS, Stability Control and Traction Control. I think these are on/off options without the option to set "efficiency" of these systems. Brake pressure, engine mapping, LSD can be tuned in the car set up while Brake Balance as well as ARB Settings can be mapped to a button and changed on the fly.

The Gearbox can be either automatic or manual. Sine i use a T300 without shifter and clutch, PCars takes over to give me throttle blips, auto clutch and off throttle upshifts as required by the car.

Gearbox behavior is simulated correctly for the different cars as far as i can tell. You will be able to power shift a formula rookie but not a Stock Car or the Merc SEL "Red Pig".

Maybe a fellow WMD Member using H-Shifter+Clutch can elaborate on "full manual" handling differences?

I don't have the definite answers for you, but I have to reply to this. This Project CARS section on GTP has been nothing short of fantastic for non WMD members who crave the information regarding the game. So thankyou from me as well WMD members.

I've vaguely known about PCars for quite a while now, but never gave it more than an initial glance that few years back, as I didn't think it was for me. Then, a few weeks ago, I saw a screenshot featuring the Group 5 Capri's and 320i's, which really sparked my interest and this place has been invaluable in terms of the information and discussion readily available. As a result, I'll definitely be putting in a pre-order in the next few days.

There is an option to use real driving aids for ABS, Stability Control and Traction Control. I think these are on/off options without the option to set "efficiency" of these systems. Brake pressure, engine mapping, LSD can be tuned in the car set up while Brake Balance as well as ARB Settings can be mapped to a button and changed on the fly.

The Gearbox can be either automatic or manual. Sine i use a T300 without shifter and clutch, PCars takes over to give me throttle blips, auto clutch and off throttle upshifts as required by the car.

Gearbox behavior is simulated correctly for the different cars as far as i can tell. You will be able to power shift a formula rookie but not a Stock Car or the Merc SEL "Red Pig".

Maybe a fellow WMD Member using H-Shifter+Clutch can elaborate on "full manual" handling differences?

Your comments about the gearboxes sound great, because as you said, modern race cars can be flat shifted but try that in the older or more basic machines and you'll find yourself in a bit of trouble.

It'll still be interesting to find out about the assists though. Normally they wouldn't interest me, but if the car features it in real life, I feel they should be represented in the same way ingame. Not a deal breaker by any stretch, but it'd certainly be nice.

As blowfish said there is a "real aids" option which gives the cars their RL aids by default. You can turn them off on the track when you mapped a key/button to this function.
You can also adjust the amount of wheelslip that the traction control allows in the car setup.

Gearbox and clutch work like IRL. You can even shift clutchless through rev matching and you can damage your clutch when you do it wrong.

As blowfish said there is a "real aids" option which gives the cars their RL aids by default. You can turn them off on the track when you mapped a key/button to this function.
You can also adjust the amount of wheelslip that the traction control allows in the car setup.

Gearbox and clutch work like IRL. You can even shift clutchless through rev matching and you can damage your clutch when you do it wrong.

That is perfect and exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for sharing.

Just as a final note for this topic, you mention being able to disable "real aids" - running with the aids enabled won't penalize the player, will it? I mean, in the arbitrary way that some games do. In a modern race car, driver aids are an effective tool, not a crutch.

Driver aids not always make you faster, not even IRL.
If you can brake perfectly with ABS disabled you will always be better than just hitting the brakes and let the ABS do the rest for you. And this is logical because the ABS can just react to grip loss and not prevent it 100%. The same goes for TC.

Most driving aids can just react to your "mistakes" and correct them and every correction maneuver is less effective than a perfectly executed one.

Agree with both posts 100%. My track time is spent on skinny tyres, ancient suspension and poor balance, but I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

However, I'm thinking about this not with speed in mind, but safety. GT3 cars feature TC and ABS to help drivers of varying skill levels manage their cars over the course of a long distance race. I'm thoroughly looking forward to being able to run a championship in the vein of the BES, but with races of that sort of distance, I can definitely appreciate the role that the driver aids can have. It's not about setting a quicker lap time, but minimizing time loss in the event of a driver error or accident.

Agree with both posts 100%. My track time is spent on skinny tyres, ancient suspension and poor balance, but I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

However, I'm thinking about this not with speed in mind, but safety. GT3 cars feature TC and ABS to help drivers of varying skill levels manage their cars over the course of a long distance race. I'm thoroughly looking forward to being able to run a championship in the vein of the BES, but with races of that sort of distance, I can definitely appreciate the role that the driver aids can have. It's not about setting a quicker lap time, but minimizing time loss in the event of a driver error or accident.

And don't forget about the tires in Endurance racing. The tires will thank you at the end of every stint if you use abs ;)

Back