Realistic looking graphics

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
I know the world doesn’t revolve around me, but……. I have been requesting realistic graphics over high colored busy fake looking games. The last 3 games I’ve bought (Forza M,Ride5, EA WRC) did what I requested and I wasn’t happy with the results. But I am glad they went this route just the same. This is my first guess of what is going on with the look of these games………

Strange, I often think that games (even with latest graphics) tend to look dull, flat or washed-out in terms of true to life colors. It often comes with a typical yellow-brownish tint, that looks like seeing the world through yellow sunglasses.

Yes, I agree but I’m thinking that is their idea of realistic compared to outrageous bright and shiny colors🤔(Dirt 5). Just my opinion on why those games look the way they do. Maybe giving the devs a semi-pass.

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer stylized games over "realistic" games. A lot of games that strive for realism visually don't tend to be true-to-life. If they were there wouldn't be a crap ton of bloom and other 'camera' like effects. Those effects would be more subtle.

Last edited:
I originally thought this was going to be another "gameplay vs. graphics" discussion. Let me see if I can contribute to this topic...

I remember one time, someone hated either Gran Turismo 3 or Gran Turismo 4 because it was "too colorful." It is as if every game has to be gritty like Dark Souls or Dead by Daylight or something. Likewise, not every game is as colorful as Minecraft, Fortnite, or Ooblets. Graphical detail helps give you some identity. Graphical detail also has to be consistent with the kind of style you are trying to portray. I tend to prefer rich colors myself. At the same time, however, I prefer a considerable amount of realism in graphical detail, especially for games that strive to be realistic.

While realistic graphics can be great, I sometimes think having a little freedom in being creative is better. Realism can be boring, especially hardcore realism; and what happens when nearly every game similar to a realistic-looking one all look realistic? What if the likes of Automobilista 2, Rennsport, EA WRC, and similar racing games all try to emulate the graphic realism of Gran Turismo 7? So you have to distinguish yourself a bit on the graphical front. That is why, for example, I like original tracks as well as original vehicles as far as racing/driving games are concerned. You may hate them because they do not exist, but having original content from others helps give you identity and helps establish yourself a bit from your competition.

We should not assume realistic graphics games are better than colorful graphics games. Sure, realistic graphic games are true-to-life and makes you feel like you are actually there and actually using real products. However, graphical detail should never be the key factor of if a game is worth playing. Even the most realistic graphic games and most colorful games can all be hot messes of gaming. It shouldn't be a key factor in if a game is great or not.

One last note before I close out... no matter how realistic graphics or gameplay is, no one game is ever perfectly realistic. Even if you strive to provide as close to real as possible, you can never achieve perfect realism, including with graphics. So you can afford some leeway in the realism department without having to perfectly replicate every single detail. These are just games and simulations after all!

Whether it be realistic or not, the single most important factor for graphics is immersion. A game with what we call great art design, is a game that realized a certain level of immersion. That immersion makes us gamers “believe” what we’re doing on screen.

Some games nail this immersion by creating realistic looking graphics, while others do it by an amazing art style that draws you in.

For me, I can dig both. But I must say I’m easily more impressed when a game produces photorealistic graphics, because I realise devs will have to put all their effort in “copying” something. Which is something totally different from creating something completely new.

Back