Recall and stop-sale to be issued on all BMW i3 models sold in America

• Thread starter GBO Possum
  • 22 comments
(Shame. This would have been a good opportunity to get some idiots off the road. Good thing I'm thinking this to myself--as indicated by the parentheses--because people might find it offensive if I made these thoughts known.)

There are two small-framed females that occupy important roles in my life--my wife and my daughter. Fortunately one wouldn't be caught dead in a BMW and the other can't afford one.

Why would BMW be responsible for someone not wearing their seatbelt? If BMW installed the seatbelts as part of the safetly requirement anf the person choose not to wear it qould be that person's problem not BMW's. BMW puts turn indicators on their cars if the driver fails to use them its not BMW fault.
Haven't all new cars from past 15 years or so have seatbelt alarms that go off when not wearing your seatbelt?
And how will BMW fix this problem, install automatic seatbelts from the '80s and '90s?
EfGbNNe.jpg

Why would BMW be responsible for someone not wearing their seatbelt? If BMW installed the seatbelts as part of the safetly requirement anf the person choose not to wear it qould be that person's problem not BMW's. BMW puts turn indicators on their cars if the driver fails to use them its not BMW fault.
Haven't all new cars from past 15 years or so have seatbelt alarms that go off when not wearing your seatbelt?
And how will BMW fix this problem, install automatic seatbelts from the '80s and '90s?
EfGbNNe.jpg
Heavens no.. Because then every other manufacturer will say, ' why didn't I think of that first?' and follow suit(hated them in my '92 Passat).

Isn't the point that there's a greater-than-allowed risk of the airbag injuring a female driver not wearing their seatbelt? I'm just not sure why it's all about the seatbelt when the recall is more about the placement of that explosive pillow aimed at your face, which is worth a reminder even if you always wear a seatbelt.

Isn't the point that there's a greater-than-allowed risk of the airbag injuring a female driver not wearing their seatbelt? I'm just not sure why it's all about the seatbelt when the recall is more about the placement of that explosive pillow aimed at your face, which is worth a reminder even if you always wear a seatbelt.
I expect the airbag is perfectly safe for those 5th percentile females when they're wearing a seatbelt. As they should be, since a car's safety systems are designed to work in conjunction with each other.

Companies who design hard hats probably don't have to take into account the safety of the small percentage of people who may choose to wear it over their genitals.

...a car's safety systems are designed to work in conjunction with each other.
...and could actively injure you outside of certain expected parameters, including but not limited to wearing a seatbelt.

If hard hats exploded to create a protective barrier around your head, I think it would be better to remember that as a reason to wear one properly (and not hang it over your genitals!) instead of only making fun of people who don't fasten the strap.

...and could actively injure you outside of certain expected parameters, including but not limited to wearing a seatbelt.
As per this particular recall, it is limited to not wearing a seatbelt, and for a very slim proportion of society at that. The article says nothing about sustaining injuries when one is worn, and while there are accidents in which you might still be injured, chances are it won't be by the airbag itself.

It's not unreasonable for a company to expect the passengers of its cars to all wear seatbelts and for the other restraint devices to work optimally with that in mind.

Every time a story about seatbelts or airbags comes up it astounds me that there still appears to be a sub-section of America not wearing them based on some BS story that went around twenty or thirty years ago claiming they harm more lives than they save.

If people are that dumb even after several decades of accumulated safety knowledge and billions spent by manufacturers and regulatory bodies to reduce injuries and deaths, then manufacturers shouldn't have to account for their stupidity when designing systems that, when used properly, vastly reduce the risk of injury. I admire that they do so anyway, but they shouldn't be obliged to.

Fortunately one wouldn't be caught dead in a BMW

Ouch man BMW is my favorite manufacturer, specifically of the two wheeled types I have in the garage.
We also have a '17 Charger and a '04 M3, that 13 year old M3 drives better than the brand new Dodge.
What don't you like about them?

XXI
that 13 year old M3 just about anything drives better than the brand new Dodge
Shocker.
XXI
What don't you like about them?
Me? Or my wife [who would not be caught dead in one]?

I have nothing against the brand in and of itself, however it seems to foster a misplaced sense of entitlement among owners that comes with an unwillingness to show a modicum of respect for others on the road around them--including cyclists, a group most motorists generally try to avoid incidents with.

My wife, on the other hand, just prefers companies based in the United States--even if their products aren't actually made here. She had to have her arm twisted to accept that the Mazda she owned until just recently (replaced by a Transit Connect) was the only vehicle that suited her needs perfectly.

It's interesting to wonder though, that all other models must been demonstrated to adequately protect all passengers without seatbelts, to comply with that regulation. I wonder what's different with the i3.

It's interesting to wonder though, that all other models must been demonstrated to adequately protect all passengers without seatbelts, to comply with that regulation. I wonder what's different with the i3.

More than likely something to do with the seats. Also, the higher seating position of the car, with smaller crumple zones contribute to that. It wouldn't be an issue if you were belted in but if you're flying all over the car these things contribute to more injuries.

Shocker.

Me? Or my wife [who would not be caught dead in one]?

I have nothing against the brand in and of itself, however it seems to foster a misplaced sense of entitlement among owners that comes with an unwillingness to show a modicum of respect for others on the road around them--including cyclists, a group most motorists generally try to avoid incidents with.

My wife, on the other hand, just prefers companies based in the United States--even if their products aren't actually made here. She had to have her arm twisted to accept that the Mazda she owned until just recently (replaced by a Transit Connect) was the only vehicle that suited her needs perfectly.

I hear you with the entitlement mentality with some owners. The BMW gives road feedback like no other car I've ever driven.
However, the Hemi Charger will absolutely destroy it (in a straight line) and as I'm a child like Jeremy Clarkson, that is good value.

Interesting fact about the BMW i3. It has a rotting dashboard.

Interesting fact about the BMW i3. It has a rotting dashboard.

Quite true!

A three day loan of an i3 a while back revealed that it's an excitingly different driving experience. It was quicker to 30 mph than any other BMW. The (mostly) single pedal driving adds to the feeling of responsiveness (and safety). Light and airy inside. The rear hinge rear doors provide great access for parcels and people. I loved it despite the odd exterior styling and the narrow tires

EfGbNNe.jpg

There's a really good reason why they got rid of those type of "auto" seat belts from the late 80's and 90's.....They were't truly automatic. You still had to physically buckle up the lap belt portion of the seat belt. Many if not most people forgot this last critical step in the process of staying safe. Just ask Nikki Taylor (1990's hot super model) She was in a friend's 1993 Nissan Maxima back in 2001 when the driver lost control of the car while reaching for his cell phone. Slammed into a utility pole and she suffered massive internal injuries being the up front passenger. And guess what folks? She didn't exercise that last critical step in the so called auto seat belt process. Buckle-Up everyone! Stay smart and stay safe.

Back