Receiver for 5 Channel Tactile Setup for Simshaker

• Thread starter Thorne
  • 0 comments
United States
United States
Hi all,

I'm setting up my simrig with x4 Aura's (stereo on the pedals, and stereo on the seat sides), and one Buttkicker MiniLFE (center of the seat pan) in a 5 channel surround for use with Simshaker.
Given that these units perform well at nominal wattages, and that I'll be using them at lower volumes (condo life) I'd like to run them with a beefy AV receiver instead of a bunch of amps.

Yesteryear's high end receivers can be had for $150 or so on Ebay, and many of them are rated at 120 or so watts a channel at 8 ohms. I realize the Aura's and Buttkicker are 4 ohm devices, but given the fact I won't be running the piss out of them, and some mid/high end receivers have been run for many years powering 4 ohm speaker setups, I think it should be possible. As a final note I plan on running it with simshaker primarily, not audio output, so I'm thinking a high pass is not necessary but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Perhaps someone could recommend a popular receiver that is used for the purpose? I know @Mr Latte has developed a reputation for being knowledgeable about these things, but I'm sure many of you are knowledgeable as well.

Back