Recent Mach Loop goodness

• Thread starter Pearl Jam
  • 4 comments
I think these were flying when I was climbing Cadair Idris last summer. I heard one go past, but I was descending at the time and I'd come down from the ridge on the Minffordd Path out of sight of the planes. I hadn't heard of the Mach Loop then and only learnt more once I was home. I would've headed back up and stayed to watch, but I was short of daylight doing the Welsh 3 Peaks and needed to get a move on to Pen y Fan. I'd love to go back with a camera one day. The pictures you've posted are spectacular.

@Pearl Jam How do you know when the aircraft are flying? I'd read about a training schedule posted by the MOD but I've seen it suggested it's not always that accurate. Or do you just live close enough to get there when you hear them?

Roo
I think these were flying when I was climbing Cadair Idris last summer. I heard one go past, but I was descending at the time and I'd come down from the ridge on the Minffordd Path out of sight of the planes. I hadn't heard of the Mach Loop then and only learnt more once I was home. I would've headed back up and stayed to watch, but I was short of daylight doing the Welsh 3 Peaks and needed to get a move on to Pen y Fan. I'd love to go back with a camera one day. The pictures you've posted are spectacular.

@Pearl Jam How do you know when the aircraft are flying? I'd read about a training schedule posted by the MOD but I've seen it suggested it's not always that accurate. Or do you just live close enough to get there when you hear them?
That MOD schedule is worthless and has nothing to do with the Loop, I live fairly close to it and know a couple of pilots from RAF Valley who usually give me a heads up, we also use scanners and military map on my phone called 360 Radar that tracks military planes so we know when they’re approaching..a general rule is Monday to Friday and the better the weather the better the chances although I’ve seen the Americans come through in atrocious weather 😂

Back