Recommend Wheels for me please!

United Kingdom
The Top Gear Test Track
thunderjolt
Sadly I had to go refund my G27 because it came DOA. Now I'm back to my DFGT but I'm interested if there are other offerings around the same price as the G27. I've seen a lot of Fanatec but they are much more expensive than the G27 for the same things, ie: wheel, shifter and pedals. Also I've heard their customer support can be atrocious which I don't really want to deal with if the wheel goes dead.

I'm only going to be playing things like iRacing, GT6 and maybe F1 2013.

Thank for the help :D Really appreciate it.

If are desiring a wheel that is the price of a G27, then a G27 is your best and only option. There is a very good reason why Fanatec and Thrustmaster stuff is more expensive.

You think Fanatec stuff is expensive? Look at Leo Bodnar, ECCI, FREX, etc., you'd be looking at over $1000 as a "inexpensive" option.

As far as customer support, I've read they are getting better, but I've never had to deal with them.

If are desiring a wheel that is the price of a G27, then a G27 is your best and only option. There is a very good reason why Fanatec and Thrustmaster stuff is more expensive.

You think Fanatec stuff is expensive? Look at Leo Bodnar, ECCI, FREX, etc., you'd be looking at over $1000 as a "inexpensive" option.

As far as customer support, I've read they are getting better, but I've never had to deal with them.

Just wondering because from what I've read belt driven wheels have a lot better FFB than one with gears like the G27 and DFGT. But I would love a huge rig one day with the best equipment around. Too bad I'm only a 17 year old :P

The two "inexpensive" options which are functionally decent are:
  • G27
  • DFGT augmented with Fanatec CSR-Elite pedals (PC-only)

Belt driven wheels are smoother but less immediate than a DFGT or G27. For some this is a benefit, for others the immediacy of the G27 is actually hard to beat. Belt drive wheels have their own compromises. The cheapest belt drive wheels (like the Fanatec CSR or GT3RS) actually have more weaknesses than a G27....

Personally I've played GT5 over the years with DFGT, G25, Fanatec GT2 and Thrustmaster T500RS. The more expensive wheels "feel" more like a real car and are nicer to use, but I was probably fastest with the DFGT ;)

That said, if I was buying a single wheel right now for mixed console and PC duties I'd go straight for the Thrustmaster T300RS (due for release this week). It offers PC, PS3 and PS4 support, has a very smooth belt drive with brushless motors. The pedals are mediocre (but better than DFGT) but you can always switch pedals to the T3PA or T500RS pedals later. Unfortunately the T300RS is quite a bit more expensive than a G27.....

I had a few supportcases with Fanatec and have had no problem even with beta products. Even the cheapest Fanatec wheel are better than the G27 in my opinion, but it is also more expensive. One of the best features besides a different feel to the FFB is the ability to have profiles on the wheel it self and the option to change those on the fly.

The two "inexpensive" options which are functionally decent are:
  • G27
  • DFGT augmented with Fanatec CSR-Elite pedals (PC-only)

Belt driven wheels are smoother but less immediate than a DFGT or G27. For some this is a benefit, for others the immediacy of the G27 is actually hard to beat. Belt drive wheels have their own compromises. The cheapest belt drive wheels (like the Fanatec CSR or GT3RS) actually have more weaknesses than a G27....

Personally I've played GT5 over the years with DFGT, G25, Fanatec GT2 and Thrustmaster T500RS. The more expensive wheels "feel" more like a real car and are nicer to use, but I was probably fastest with the DFGT ;)

That said, if I was buying a single wheel right now for mixed console and PC duties I'd go straight for the Thrustmaster T300RS (due for release this week). It offers PC, PS3 and PS4 support, has a very smooth belt drive with brushless motors. The pedals are mediocre (but better than DFGT) but you can always switch pedals to the T3PA or T500RS pedals later. Unfortunately the T300RS is quite a bit more expensive than a G27.....

I guess it's between the G27 and the T300RS then!

EDIT: or... Not. T300 is near £300. I guess I'll just stick with a G27. Thanks for the help guys :)

Last edited:
Back