Recommendation: Good Seat for people using Wheel Stand or Desk Mount

• Thread starter hoops3335
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
Rufiooooo47
Just wanted to share a recommendation for a racing seat. I currently use the Omega Apex wheel stand for my setup, and one of the downsides of a wheel stand is that you have to find a seat that works.

Luckily for me, I had this awesome camping chair... Link shown here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4JYR62/?tag=gtplanet-20

I've found this chair to be great for racing. At first, I was using the Titan Secret Labs chair, but I found myself constantly rolling around and the chair was a bit high for my liking. I switched over to the the GCI camping chair, and it is great for the following reasons:

1) As compared to a computer chair, it doesn't roll around on the floor, and stays planted for the most part.
2) It has a rocking motion which I think adds a bit to the immersion, but the rocking motion is not too strong which is great because it does not interfere with my pedal motion. So at least for me it's the perfect balance.
3) Very Comfortable
4) Cup Holder for some drinking and driving :)
6) Relatively inexpensive ($60 on Amazon)
7) Foldable: I live in a small apartment and have to put away my rig after I'm done using it. This seat is foldable along with my wheel stand, so when I'm finished racing, I fold both up and lean them against the wall. Very, very easy.

Anyhow, just wanted to share this recommendation for anyone looking to change up their racing seat. Let me know what you think, or what you are currently using for a seat.

See you guys on the track...

hmm interesting, I've always looked for something solid. Looks like a great chair.

My current folding chair is starting to split on the bottom of the plastic seat (it's a life time Costco folding chair) so I ordered the following from Amazon -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SRYMNXF/?tag=gtplanet-20

Yeah I suppose one of the downsides with the camping chair is the elbow rests.... I like or at least don't mind the arm rests (they never get in the way for me), but I know some people like having more freedom of motion and no armrest such as what your chair offers. I used to sit on something similar for gaming (never simracing), and I felt my butt would get uncomfortable sitting on plastic for extended periods. I've sat on the camping chair all day and it's comfortable throughout.

As for the durability, I've owned the chair for a little over year now and it has held up nicely. Prior to using it for racing, my girlfriend or I would use it as office chair on a daily basis (also this was prior to getting a proper office chair), and it's just as good when I first bought it. For reference I'm 6', 245 Lbs. So it can hold some weight...

Yeah my butt can get sore from the plastic seat chair.. When I know I actually have long hours to play I wear paded shorts from past ski and snowboarding trips haha...

Ikea Poang chair is always a good option for a wheel stand.

https://i.redd.it/c7fmio5ycs401.jpg

I have used the same one for the last 10+ years of sim racing - firstly with a DIY wheel mount fixed to the chair itself and later with a WheelStand Pro V2. However I'm now moving on to a permanent rig so the Poang and wheelstand will finally be retired.

Last edited:
I tried a pong ikea chair and it was pretty good but I can't fold it away. I know people love them though as they are comfortable and a great recommendation.

My new Amazon Folding Chair is perfect for me. It just arrived today. It has a more leaned back position than your normal folding chair which works perfectly with my wheel stand pro. It also takes pressure off my butt which was a problem with past chairs.

I've actually got the wheel stand pro lifted of the ground 2 inches to get the height correct for folding chairs.. so I should be set for awhile longer while we wait for our office/shed combo to be built this spring giving me room for more permanent rig.

A padded metal folding chair works great for me. It's very sturdy, doesn't flex, and doesn't move on my carpet when braking (I use a Logitech G920 and the pedals are bolted to a board with in turn is brace against the wall behind my Ikea desk). Now I'm considering better equipment, which means I'll need a rig, but I'd like to incorporate the folding chair into the rig somehow as I don't see the point of getting an expensive, narrow bucket seat given I'm happy with the chair I use now.

Back