Recording GT1 Replays

Parnelli Bone

www.gtcarreviews.com
Premium
United States
Columbia, MD.
Parnelli_Bones
Anybody had any luck recording replays through a capture device? I just got a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and it's been a struggle so far getting the thing to work. It works okay for Gran Turismo 5 replays (though the quality is low, but I'm going to fix that) but for the lower-tech Gran Turismo 1 / Playstation 2, it's frustrating so far.

The device records the opening movie, but it's very sketchy. Frames jump around a lot. Anyway, I'll see if any of you know what I'm talking about so far / have found any fixes. And no, I'm not putting a camera in front of my TV, so that is not an option! I want to record some quality footage.

Anybody had any luck recording replays through a capture device? I just got a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and it's been a struggle so far getting the thing to work. It works okay for Gran Turismo 5 replays (though the quality is low, but I'm going to fix that) but for the lower-tech Gran Turismo 1 / Playstation 2, it's frustrating so far.

The device records the opening movie, but it's very sketchy. Frames jump around a lot. Anyway, I'll see if any of you know what I'm talking about so far / have found any fixes. And no, I'm not putting a camera in front of my TV, so that is not an option! I want to record some quality footage.
Have you tried using the PS3 to play GT1? (All PS3's can play PS1 games.)

The only issue I had was the fact it appeared in widescreen when it shouldn't have. I didn't have any frame jumping issues.

Hey, no I haven't tried that. I will try that next, thanks daan. I just hope my PS3 is one of those models which can handle earlier games.

Hey I got it to work! :) Recorded my first replay from the old days. Not a GT1 replay, but a GT2 one, so therefore maybe I'll put it in the GT2 section. Oddly, I haven't gotten GT1 to work yet (it just greys the screen if I try). I am trying to document all my old replays on YouTube, you see.

To anyone who's having trouble out there, here is what I did. All of this assumes you've got a capture card already of course, have tried to get something recorded, but it's not working. It also assumes you've got a desktop computer (preferably with windows), a flatscreen TV, and a PC monitor.

Firstly, I did not have to use a PS3 to do this, I was able to work from my PS2 slim. For a capture card, I've got a Hauppauge HD PVR 2, which comes with a pair of 5-way component cables, male on one end, and female on the other. Oddly, I could not get the replay to show on screen with a component cable though, even if I had Y CB/Pb Cr/Pr selected in the System Configuration menu.

So that's the first step. I went into the PS2's System Configuration menu, found Component Video Out, and selected RGB.

Screen Size 16:9
Digital Out (Optical) On

Next step, just connect an ordinary composite cable (this is the yellow, red, and white cable which normally comes with a Playstation) like so: the yellow male end goes to the blue female end. Leave the green and red video connectors unhooked.

Hook up the audio (red and white) to the red and white female ends.

On the back of the capture card, there should be a mini USB port which connects to an ordinary USB via provided cable. This goes into your computer. There is also an HDMI Out port which connects directly to a flatscreen TV. You don't NEED to have a TV connected though, but it helps to have this connected because the HDMI broadcasts a signal in real-time, while the USB signal going (through the capture card) usually has a couple seconds of lag. It helps to be able to see the replay in real-time, or if you're gaming, obviously you want to be able to game in real-time, not with lag, so you don't wind up driving into a wall.

Turn on the game, and on your computer, obviously, turn on the capture card's program.

In the capture card program, make sure Video In is selected to Composite (not Component, or HDMI, or any other settings).

Make sure Audio In is selected to AV In.

Hopefully, you'll be able to see the game in the capture card's program screen. :) For the actual video recording, I chose Medium quality, though the Hauppauge goes from Low to Very High. I figure Medium will provide some decent overall stability (no lag), and I don't know if selecting High or Very High will make much difference for such ancient technology anyway.

Wish me luck on getting Gran Turismo 1 to work. :) I really want to post some of my very earliest replays from 2003-2004.

Last edited:
All PS3 models can play PS1 games.

I thought they removed this feature on either later models of the PS3 (slim or higher GB's versions released later) or with later firmware updates? I know my original 60GB PS3 was backwards compatible when it launched, but I never liked the way it made the games look so I stopped just after launch. I remember hearing something that they removed it on later models.

I thought they removed this feature on either later models of the PS3 (slim or higher GB's versions released later) or with later firmware updates? I know my original 60GB PS3 was backwards compatible when it launched, but I never liked the way it made the games look so I stopped just after launch. I remember hearing something that they removed it on later models.
That was for PS2 games. At the risk of saying if for the 3rd time, all PS3 models can play PS1 games.

Yeah, daan is right, that's for PS2 games.

I got GT1 replays to show up and record through my capture card, I have no idea why they weren't working before. Only thing I tried differently is I used the red/yellow/white cable that came with my PS2. Before I was using the cable that came with the PS3.

Only thing I tried differently is I used the red/yellow/white cable that came with my PS2. Before I was using the cable that came with the PS3.
Had you set the PS2 to output to component? (Y, Pr, Pb)

Had you set the PS2 to output to component? (Y, Pr, Pb)

Originally yes, I had Y CB/Pb Cr/Pr selected in the settings menu, and was using the 5-way component cable to go from PS2 to capture card. That wasn't working. So then I did some research and learned about using an ordinary 3-way composite cable (yellow / red / white) and using RGB instead of Y CB/Pb Cr/Pr. But even after hooking this cable into the capture card, all I'd get was a fuzzy screen showing up on my computer,.

I was getting sort of desperate, you know, because here I'd just spent $150 on this device and it's not working. :confused: Went through a drawer where I keep a bunch of old cables, connectors, etc. and found the original PS2 cable. This is what did the trick. Somehow.

Older capture cards such as the Dazzle DVC100. It uses composite cables and plugs into your computer via USB. For anyone who has lost their Dazzle install CD and drivers like I did, this video has all the links you'll need.

My (somewhat) newer Avermedia capture card that records straight to a USB stick and uses component cables wouldn't work; claiming no video input after the opening movie or when I'd try to load a replay.

I see you got your Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to work. I'm just posting information others may find useful.

O
I see you got your Hauppauge HD PVR 2 to work. I'm just posting information others may find useful.

Sure that's fine.

I read about Dazzle as I was frantically trying to figure out the Hauppauge. Sounds like it'd be useful for some older games too.

Component doesn’t handle 288i or basically any resolution below 480i properly on most setups. That’s why the composite and SCART will work fine, most TVs allow 288i over SCART/composite but not over component/HDMI

Currently recording playthroughs of GT1 :
1 on PS1/PS2 and
1 on PS3 with virtual memory cards

Recording on a Toahiba dvd recorder

PS3 allows to save replays aplenty with additional virtual memory cards.
Saving all Gold licence test replays on memory

Back