Recruitment on Hard Difficulty

• Thread starter Oshow
  • 12 comments
After what seemed like forever, I finally got a First Driver position with Toro Rosso on Hard difficulty in Career. Medium was just getting a little too easy for me. I went from Toro Rosso to Red Bull, then to BMW. I tried in the off-season to get another drive, but the time trials that I had to do were too hard. All I got offered was a Test Driver position.
I decided to just suck it up and continue on with BMW. After San Marino, I got an offer from McLaren for the First Driver seat. Went on to win almost every race in that car. After the season, I had a trial with Ferrari. They have many different trials all at the same three tracks: Silverstone, Catalunya, and Magny-Cours. The latter is by far my best track, so I quit and reloaded to get a trial at Magny-Cours. Got a single lap trial and had to do 1:15's. I got in the high 1:12's. About 2.5secs. better than the target time!!! I go to recruitment and I get offered a Test Driver role!!!!:banghead:
Now what I did is quit and reloaded until I got a trial at Magny-Cours for a 3 lap time trial. I did that one and beat the target time for 3 laps by about 5secs. and got a First Driver position!!!! Tell me, does that make any sense??? The 3 lap time trial is what I did to start my Career for Toro Rosso. This was the only way I could get a First Driver position. Maybe some of you are in the same boat. The 3 lap trial is the easiest way to get that exclusive First Driver seat.

I agree that is exactly the test you want to do, 3 lap cumlative at Magny. Awhile ago I had a similar post on this exact topic on the main thread:

It has been a little while, but I know the test that I passed at Magny was the 3 lap cumulative time test. I think I only beat the 3 lap target time by 3 to 3.5 seconds total. So only like 1.1 sec a lap. Somehow it was good enough for a 1st seat though.

EDIT----

OK. Just did some testing on another account/profile. Basically the target test of opportunity, that I just basically lucked into before, is the 3lap cumulative test at Magny. For example, the SA hot lap test there is a target time of 1:19.264. On my 2nd or 3rd attempt I beat that time with a 1:18.185, but that was only good enough for a test driver position. After a few more attempts at trying various tests with all the teams I just got another SA test at Magny, but this time of the 3lap cumulative variety. The target time is 3:57.794 and I ran a 1:18.2+, 1:18.2+ and 1:17.7+ for a cumulative 3:54.292. And even though 2 of those laps were worse than my prior hot lap best, and the last one was only 3-4 tenths better I still got offered a first seat! Also you get 4 laps to set your 3 best. Obviously it takes a little consistency, but it can be done. I'd also note I was not super aggressive through the 1st chicane either, I still used a brake tap to make sure I didn't red lap it. However it definitely is possible to shave another 5-6 tenths off if you can take that one with only a wee lift. Hard to do consistently though, but always something you can keep in your pocket for that throw away 4th lap ;)

Anyway, I hope that little insight might help you guys more easily get a race seat... racing on hard is fun 👍, testing sucks 👎

My theory is that, much like the testdriving seems to work, the further you progress the easier it becomes to get a race-seat at a better team. Has anyone ever gotten a race-seat with Ferrari, Renault or McLaren after the first season regardless if every race was won? Doesn't seem like it. So long one does reasonably well (and measured against the targets set out in the contract, that should not be too demanding) your chance will come I believe. Because think about it, if you designed the game would you easily let someone drive for the top team after one season? No, right? Because part of the fun to continue driving for five seasons is to eventually get into a top team but not right away.

So my speculation is, if one doesn't get into Renault/Ferrari after season four, one has done quite badly. But you won't get there after season one regardless how well you've done.

I hate the 3 lap cumaltives lol. I much prefer getting one decent time out of 10 laps. But I am pleased with my season so far because I just started my 3rd season and I got offered Second driver with Toyota after coming 10th in the Drivers championship with 17 points with MF1. I definitly think that I will be able to win Bahrain, Magny-Cours and Interlagos in the Toyota and from there it is clean sailing :D.

My theory is that, much like the testdriving seems to work, the further you progress the easier it becomes to get a race-seat at a better team. Has anyone ever gotten a race-seat with Ferrari, Renault or McLaren after the first season regardless if every race was won? Doesn't seem like it. So long one does reasonably well (and measured against the targets set out in the contract, that should not be too demanding) your chance will come I believe. Because think about it, if you designed the game would you easily let someone drive for the top team after one season? No, right? Because part of the fun to continue driving for five seasons is to eventually get into a top team but not right away.

So my speculation is, if one doesn't get into Renault/Ferrari after season four, one has done quite badly. But you won't get there after season one regardless how well you've done.

In my 1st season on career on the PS2 version, which I'd say is programmed identically, I got to drive for Ferrari for the very last race of the season in Brazil, as there number one driver. And luckily too, because that meant MS didnt take part and I won the championship after winning that race by race wins alone, we both had 98 points and Alonso had 96. Best race season ever!

I think I'll start a career now pretty soon on F1CE, maybe just 20% race distance and see how it goes. Although I hate the way you cant switch weather off, because when it rains the AI have an unfair advantage, it doesnt seem to effect them too badly at all.

So, the consensus is that the best strategy for getting a driver's position is: 3 laps cumulative at Magny Cours? Has anyone actually made their way through all the test driver tests on Hard & then got offered a driver's position?

Once you're driving on a team I think it's fair enough that it takes a while to get offered a driver's position for one of the top teams - at least you're racing. On the other hand, doing interminable test driver tests isn't much fun. It may be "realistic", but then so would be fetching the team manager's coffee & sweeping up the pit area after races, but I wouldn't want to spend time doing that in a video game either... ;)

In my 1st season on career on the PS2 version, which I'd say is programmed identically, I got to drive for Ferrari for the very last race of the season in Brazil, as there number one driver. And luckily too, because that meant MS didnt take part and I won the championship after winning that race by race wins alone, we both had 98 points and Alonso had 96. Best race season ever!

I think I'll start a career now pretty soon on F1CE, maybe just 20% race distance and see how it goes. Although I hate the way you cant switch weather off, because when it rains the AI have an unfair advantage, it doesnt seem to effect them too badly at all.
Ok. I just have a feeling that the game will not force you to stay at a low-end team so long you meet the targets and hang in there. And the targets are quite acheivable. One doesn't even need to score points even with middle teams. If you start a season you might actually get some racing-use out of all the settings tested out in weekly-challenge ;)

Has anyone ever gotten a race-seat with Ferrari, Renault or McLaren after the first season regardless if every race was won?
First post here......Cool to see some fellow F1CE guys here. Pretty impressive lap times by some of ya.

Anyways, I got a trial with Ferrari after 1 season and got the 2nd drivers seat. That was on Medium and I wasn't all that good at the time, so it's not like I smoked the field the entire year to get the test drive.

On Hard mode, I was offered the Renault test seat after my 1st review during season 1 as MF1's Test Driver. I turned it down, because I was also promoted @ MF1, and I wanted to race.

I've been thinking about this. I think I'm going to do a Shanghai Race Weekend 20% race with a top team in the wet. I'll do extensive practice runs in the wet with proper settings and try get pole and win the race. If I can do that, then I'll know that it's possible to compete in rain conditions as well as dry. Because I suspect it is because people are not practicing rainy conditions and try to race AI in the rain with dry settings that has given birth to the idea of the wet conditions being more difficult than dry. No wonder it is hard to race with dry settings in the wet I say. I mean, has anyone ever taken a chance on that it was going to rain during race day because practice and qualifying was rainy and chanced lining up with wet settings to the car? I haven't done it and I haven't heard of it.

Some say it's no fun to race in the rain but after having done my Shanghai career race I disagree. It was really exiting to overtake with the spray all over the place and trying to stay close to front car with low visibility and actually managing well at times. :)

Last edited:
I have just begun a career in the Super Aguri ,30% race distance.
I was promoted to 1st driver after one race :tup:and finished outside the points.:crazy: I did happen to put the car on the grid in 2nd though.:sly: I am yet to learn how to preserve the tyres, I may have to pit twice.I am in the second round at Sepang and on the grid in 4th.
I will have to learn to drive within myself ,as spinning is obviously not an option.The hotlapping has taught me to qualify, but now another aspect of racing is required.

Back