• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 13 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Do any of you watch Red Bull Crashed Ice? In case you never heard of it or know what it is about, think of it as downhill skating meets roller derby or NASCAR. Four skaters do downhill skating on a walled course with jumps. Skaters sometimes slide around and bang into the walls and fall down. It's really fun to watch and can sometimes be nuts seeing these skaters take on these courses. It isn't a motorsport, but it can be just as fun as most racing series.

How nuts can Red Bull Crashed Ice be? Check this out:

Well... you like?

Anyhow, I decided to open this thread to you GTPlanet folk who may be fans of Red Bull Crashed Ice. To learn more about the series, visit: http://www.redbullcrashedice.com .

Been seeing this on and off over the years. Interesting that it's now a championship instead of just a series of isolated events. :D

That looks like it would be epic to watch in person. This looks to be one of those things I never heard of until now but wish I knew about sooner.

I've always wanted to go to the one in St. Paul, but the opportunity just hasn't happened yet. Not to mention I absolutely hate driving downtown and the train doesn't go anywhere close to there.

If you love skating or consider yourself a good skater, this could be just as fun to participate in as it is to watch. Come on now- doesn't this look like fun? This series seems to be catching on. The coverage on FOX Sports 1 had a few things to know about Red Bull Crashed Ice. I know I mentioned the sport is like NASCAR, but you can't intentionally take out somebody while racing down the course- you'll be disqualified. There are some heat races where the top 2 advance to the next round. The time it takes to clear the course is about a minute long. There are things like sharp corners and jumps to rattle your mind a bit as you continually go downhill.

Here is another video I found, with a unique three-skater team race competition:

Clever sport, eh? This is by far one of the most unique concepts to come along in some time.

The event this weekend at St. Paul, MN, USA is the finale of this latest Red Bull Crashed Ice championship. It almost didn't happen thanks to some protesters. Yet still- it's going to be great seeing these guys go to work in Crashed Ice. Enjoy if you'll be up there watching the action unfold this weekend.

I couldn't find any highlight packages of the season finale in St. Paul, MN, USA. However, I did find this... check this out:

Some people are saying downhill skating should be a Winter Olympics sport. If you ask me, if this becomes an Olympic sport, this would be totally awesome. Can you imagine the insanity this sport can provide and on an international scale?

This is great stuff. I have caught it on TV randomly a few times. It is the definition of radical.

Definitely deserves to be an Olympic sport!

I began thinking about this series since it's now late Fall/Autumn heading into Winter. Here is the schedule for the 2016-2017 season of Red Bull Crashed Ice:

* Jan. 13-14, 2017 - Marseilles, France
* Jan. 20-21, 2017 - Jyväskylä/Laajis, Finland
* Feb. 3-4, 2017 - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
* Mar. 3-4, 2017 - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Look up YouTube videos to see what Red Bull Crashed Ice is about in case you want to know what kinds of insanity goes on in this series. I still want to imagine downhill skating as a Winter Olympics event. It would be as fun of an event as Super G or Luge/Bobsledding in the Winter Olympics. It would be cool even with the next Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea in 2018.

Anyhow, it will be great to see this series return. I'm surely a fan of this series!

The 2017 season of Red Bull Crashed Ice is set to start this Friday in Marseille, France. I'm expecting insanity as this series usually provides.

The nutty racing action in Red Bull Crashed Ice is back! The championship reportedly has a nine-race tour this time around. Here is the 2017-2018 schedule:

Red Bull Crashed Ice
* January 19, 2018: St. Paul, Minneaota, USA
* February 3, 2018: Jyvaskyla/Laajis, Finland
* February 16-17, 2018: Marseille, France
* March 9-10, 2018: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Riders Cup
* December 16, 2017: Wagrain-Klein, Austria
* January 27, 2018: Saint Petersburg, Russia
* February 10, 2018: Sarriselka, Finland
* February 24, 2018: St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
* March 3, 2018: La Sarre, Canada

This is still one of the most insane sports of late. I would LOVE for this to be a Winter Olympics event if it were possible. Go look up Red Bull Crashed Ice on YouTube just to see videos of how wild this sport can be.

The fun-to-watch Red Bull Crashed Ice will find its way into Boston on February 8-9, 2019. They will have an event at historic baseball venue Fenway Park. Ice cross downhill has really gained a lot of momentum. Back on December 7-8, the round in Yokohama, Japan was run. The next round will be in Finland on February 2nd.

Latest Posts

Back