Regarding the Latest Information on Gran Turismo 5 Uncovered (phototravel/photomode)

  • Thread starter Thread starter magburner
  • 22 comments
  • 3,971 views

magburner

Premium
Messages
2,693
Wales
The Empire State
Messages
magburner, GTP_madgurner, showtime_uk
By now we have all digested this latest burst of information, but I am curoius to find out some additional facts regarding GT5s proposed phototravel/photomode section. So here is a list of some questions I am keen to find an answer to (in no particular order):

1. There was no mention of an ingame photomode section. will it be present?

2. Will there be a replay theatre similar (if not better), to that in GT4?

3. If photomode is present, will there be the same freedom of movement as there is in phototravel?

4. Will there be day/night transitions in Phototravel?

5. PD have stated that it is now possible to place the cars anywhere within the phototravel scene, will the camera also be free? Ie. Could I place the car in one place, and then setup a shot form a completely different place?

5. Regarding spectator mode, will it be possible to take pictures as well as spectate?

6. In GT5, will it be possible to create ingame radial blurs, similarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?

7. Likewise, will it be possible to create advanced depth of field effects similiarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?

8. Will image quality be resolution independent?

9. In GT4, PD simulated a rudimentary SLR, will PD go one further and fully simulate a DSLR? It would not be too much of a leap of the imagination to think that PD could acurately simulate a genuine DSLR, they could base the simulation on one of Sony's Alpha range of DSLRs...

10. In phototravel, will it be possible to photograph the interiors of the 200 premium cars? Also, will it be possible to take photographs of those cars with the doors open or the headlights on?

11. Will you be limited to one car in phototravel?

12. Will the camera be locked on the car? From my experiences of different photomodes on different games, I have found that the camera always seems to center on the vehicle in question. Will GT5 remove this restriction?
 
By now we have all digested this latest burst of information, but I am curoius to find out some additional facts regarding GT5s proposed phototravel/photomode section. So here is a list of some questions I am keen to find an answer to (in no particular order):

1. There was no mention of an ingame photomode section. will it be present?
Yes, there will be a photomode in GT5.

2. Will there be a replay theatre similar (if not better), to that in GT4?
We don't know yet.

3. If photomode is present, will there be the same freedom of movement as there is in phototravel?
We don't know but that seems likely.

4. Will there be day/night transitions in Phototravel?
We don't know but it seems likely too.

5. PD have stated that it is now possible to place the cars anywhere within the phototravel scene, will the camera also be free? Ie. Could I place the car in one place, and then setup a shot form a completely different place?
It appears so.

5. Regarding spectator mode, will it be possible to take pictures as well as spectate?
We don't know yet.

6. In GT5, will it be possible to create ingame radial blurs, similarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?
We don't know yet.

7. Likewise, will it be possible to create advanced depth of field effects similiarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?
We don't know yet.

8. Will image quality be resolution independent?
I don't know what that means lol.

9. In GT4, PD simulated a rudimentary SLR, will PD go one further and fully simulate a DSLR? It would not be too much of a leap of the imagination to think that PD could acurately simulate a genuine DSLR, they could base the simulation on one of Sony's Alpha range of DSLRs...
euh... that's chinese to me^^

10. In phototravel, will it be possible to photograph the interiors of the 200 premium cars? Also, will it be possible to take photographs of those cars with the doors open or the headlights on?
YES ! :)

11. Will you be limited to one car in phototravel?
We don't know yet.

12. Will the camera be locked on the car? From my experiences of different photomodes on different games, I have found that the camera always seems to center on the vehicle in question. Will GT5 remove this restriction?
We don't know yet.
 
Thanks for your replies! 👍

Fido_le_muet
euh... that's chinese to me^^

Thats a question for us photo-evangelists! I beleive that those of us that like to take pictures would like to know the answer to that question! ;)


Fido_le_muet
I don't know what that means lol.

I was asking whether saved images would be resolution independent, because I noticed on WipeoutHD, you could only save an image of the same quality as the resolution you were playing the game at. So if you were playing in SD you could only save an image in that resolution. If you were playing in HD, you could save an image in that resolution.

I know WipeoutHD and GT5 are two different games, but I fear that the quality of the photographs will be limited to the resolution you are using, (don't quote me on this), but I believe that the PS3 uses different methods for displaying SD and HD graphics.
 
From this article regarding the photo travel:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gran-turismo-5-e3-2010-hands-on?page=2

Yamauchi only has eyes for the car, however, and a click of a button switches us to the camera viewfinder where there are - would you believe it? - dozens of different options allowing you to zoom out, rotate, tilt, and screw around with the focus. After playing with the framing for so long you could be forgiven for thinking that he's forgotten anyone else is in the room, Yamauchi finally takes a picture. It's not great, as it happens, but photography's not really his thing, is it? His thing is rebuilding the Nurburgring from the gravel upwards.

Suggests that you can really go deep with your camera options.
 
From this article regarding the photo travel:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gran-turismo-5-e3-2010-hands-on?page=2



Suggests that you can really go deep with your camera options.

Well which one of those couldnt you do with GT4 Photomode, except for the "walking around" feature everything else is the same just better\more broad range of control\effects.

One thing i hope they changed is the controls in Photo Travel, i hope with the "walking" feature they made the photomode more like a game like in Replay Photo, you used a combination of Analog, R and L's and some "shapes' to get the right angle and such.
 
From this article regarding the photo travel:

- dozens of different options allowing you to zoom out, rotate, tilt, and screw around with the focus.

The problem with this somewhat glib statement is that unless you really got / get into photomode, you could say the same thing about gt4. To the casual player it does seem like it has unlimited potential, but those who spent time in photomode / phototravel soon found how limited it actually is.

Unless we get a report from someone who truly understood gt4's photomodes, we won't know what it's like in gt5 until the game is actually out. Magazine reviewers etc who get preview copies are unlikely to spend much time in photomode, to most it is just a feature they will never use.
 
Thanks for your replies! 👍



Thats a question for us photo-evangelists! I beleive that those of us that like to take pictures would like to know the answer to that question! ;)

We don't know yet


I was asking whether saved images would be resolution independent, because I noticed on WipeoutHD, you could only save an image of the same quality as the resolution you were playing the game at. So if you were playing in SD you could only save an image in that resolution. If you were playing in HD, you could save an image in that resolution.

I know WipeoutHD and GT5 are two different games, but I fear that the quality of the photographs will be limited to the resolution you are using, (don't quote me on this), but I believe that the PS3 uses different methods for displaying SD and HD graphics.

We don't know yet. :P It was in GT4, but...that was with the PS2...and from what we've seen the cars look great without a rez-boost...that said, it would appear that it might be plausable if you compare the Ingame SRS with the photomode one.
 
All we know about PHOTOMODE resolution is that it's 18MP, right? Or was it 8mp? Or was it 13mp?

If you're talking about in-game captures, they will mos likely be resolution limited. The very reason of photomode is the enhanced visuals not available while playing.
 
I remember reading somewhere (I think it was motortrend) that photomode would be relative to a DSLR ie: WB, f/ and focal lengths. Other than that, I don't know.
 
I actually don't really understand why PD put walk-mode in new photo travel, since it is very much like moving your camera around, which you can do the same in GT4 (within restricted area though.)

More playback option in replay mode would be awesome too, such as rewind, slow motion, and fast forward, so we can capture the best moment easier. Codemaster did the replay mode pretty well and I think Kaz will copy it very likely.
 
Well which one of those couldnt you do with GT4 Photomode, except for the "walking around" feature everything else is the same just better\more broad range of control\effects.

And:

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was motortrend) that photomode would be relative to a DSLR ie: WB, f/ and focal lengths. Other than that, I don't know.

Nothing new there! 👍

Unless we get a report from someone who truly understood gt4's photomodes, we won't know what it's like in gt5 until the game is actually out. Magazine reviewers etc who get preview copies are unlikely to spend much time in photomode, to most it is just a feature they will never use.

That's it pal. Like most people here, I am eagerly waiting for the release of GT5. Partly for the racing, and partly for the photomode. I am looking for the next evolution in the concept in GT5, seeing whether KY has built up the strengths of GT4s photmode, and ironed out the weaknesses, as well as adopted some great ideas from other games. 👍

As you have also stated, unless you know photomode, you will not get an idea about the features in GT5. To the layman, it all looks good, but to those of us that have explored photomode in depth, it leaves a lot to the imagination. 👍

All we know about PHOTOMODE resolution is that it's 18MP, right? Or was it 8mp? Or was it 13mp?

If that is the case, then there is going to have to be some post processing to get the images to that level of detail. Remember, the PS3s highest resolution is only 1920x1080, and that is considerably lower than 18mp, 13mp, or even 8mp! 👍

If you're talking about in-game captures, they will mos likely be resolution limited. The very reason of photomode is the enhanced visuals not available while playing.

I really hope that the images are NOT resolution dependent though. One of the greatest features of GT4s photomode was that anyone could take good pictures with practice, but if the quality of the images is dependent on the resolution of the users screen, then there is going to be a gulf between those that have HD displays and those that don't. I know there may be a majority that do have HD displays, but it should not be a requirement for taking great pictures. 👍

I actually don't really understand why PD put walk-mode in new photo travel, since it is very much like moving your camera around, which you can do the same in GT4 (within restricted area though.)

Maybe KY is just ironing out the restrictions from GT4. One of my biggest bug bears regarding phototravel was the inability to choose a location other than those specified. 👍

franz
More playback option in replay mode would be awesome too, such as rewind, slow motion, and fast forward, so we can capture the best moment easier. Codemaster did the replay mode pretty well and I think Kaz will copy it very likely.

I would actually like those features you mentioned in the spectator mode! It would be awesome if KY gave you PVR-like controls in spectator mode. You could then view/review the race, and choose your perfect shot. The ability to save a replay of a spectated race would also be nice! 👍
 
My answer to you in red, even tho someone already answered you.

By now we have all digested this latest burst of information, but I am curoius to find out some additional facts regarding GT5s proposed phototravel/photomode section. So here is a list of some questions I am keen to find an answer to (in no particular order):

1. There was no mention of an ingame photomode section. will it be present?
You must mean taking photos during your replay right? If so, I am wondering about that as well. I really hope there will be one... most likely yes, just as it was in previous GTs


2. Will there be a replay theatre similar (if not better), to that in GT4?
Most likely, GT5-P has it, why wouldn't GT5 not?


3. If photomode is present, will there be the same freedom of movement as there is in phototravel?
I hope so. Most likely so.
When you said "photomode" you are refering to taking pictures after your race, during the replay!?



4. Will there be day/night transitions in Phototravel?
I have not seen any confirmation of it, but i really do hope so.
I think Kaz and the Sony website are suggesting so.


5. PD have stated that it is now possible to place the cars anywhere within the phototravel scene, will the camera also be free? Ie. Could I place the car in one place, and then setup a shot form a completely different place?
I would guess so... but after looking at the above screen captures, it seem that you are limited to a certain location on the map (ie. RedBull Museum, with the number 1 through 5) I really hope that i am wrong.

5. Regarding spectator mode, will it be possible to take pictures as well as spectate?
complete mystery to me

6. In GT5, will it be possible to create ingame radial blurs, similarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?
dont know

7. Likewise, will it be possible to create advanced depth of field effects similiarly to how you can in WipeoutHD?
Yes

8. Will image quality be resolution independent?
???

9. In GT4, PD simulated a rudimentary SLR, will PD go one further and fully simulate a DSLR? It would not be too much of a leap of the imagination to think that PD could acurately simulate a genuine DSLR, they could base the simulation on one of Sony's Alpha range of DSLRs...
Extended basic DSLR usage ....


10. In phototravel, will it be possible to photograph the interiors of the 200 premium cars? Also, will it be possible to take photographs of those cars with the doors open or the headlights on?
Headlights On/Off Yes.... open doors ??!!??? Dont think so


11. Will you be limited to one car in phototravel?
Seem so!


12. Will the camera be locked on the car? From my experiences of different photomodes on different games, I have found that the camera always seems to center on the vehicle in question. Will GT5 remove this restriction?
So you want to take pictures of something else other than the car? Wouldn't it be more fun if you just step out of your house with a real DSLR instead?
 
How about posting links to images next time, instead of posting them in their full size. Some of us are on download limits, and those pictures really eat into out allowable quota.
 
How about posting links to images next time, instead of posting them in their full size. Some of us are on download limits, and those pictures really eat into out allowable quota.

No problem, I am on a tight download limit too (Australia for you..).
 
CTznOFTime
So you want to take pictures of something else other than the car? Wouldn't it be more fun if you just step out of your house with a real DSLR instead?


That is not exactly what I meant.

In GT4, in photomode, you could only ever position the camera in a way that it always pointed at the car. This was good if you only wanted to take pictures of the car in question, but it became a little harder to create dynamic race images. With a free camera, it would be far easier to create some really great scenes, something that has previously been a little tougher to implement. 👍

It is also worth pointing out that there will be plenty of things to photograph in GT5, other than cars. :)

Jay

Excellent find! Those images are great - they answered a few of the questions I originally asked.

Questions regarding these images:

http://imgur.com/IHRMh.jpg

I wonder what the option is below the slider... Is it an option to have the car doors open? it is also great that you can choose to have the car's headlights on! 👍

http://imgur.com/Yp6YA.jpg
http://imgur.com/Z1bfz.jpg

You cans see the differences in the brightness of these two pictures, which have different ISO settings. The first is ISO 6400, and the second ISO 5000. The depth of focus is also different (F8.0 and F2.0 respectively).

I am also wondering if PD have used the same method for determining focus in GT5 as they used in GT4, because the second image below would suggest that). In GT4, the focal point was in fact a focal bubble, that expanded as you grew the F number. In the second image below, you can see the effect I am talking about.

Because the F number is so low (F2.0) only the front portion of the car is clearly focussed, whilst the rear of the car gets progressively more out of focus. The effect is subtle though, but if you know what to look for, you can see it clearly in that image. 👍
 
Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, I'm very impressed with what I am seeing in these pictures.

I noticed something else today, in one of them:

http://imgur.com/Yp6YA.jpg

Notice the sixaxis symbol on the bottom left? I'm curious about what that is for...

I am wondering if the sixaxis feature will allow you to use the controller as as the camera. For instance, I could tilt the controller, and the screen would tilt too. It would be an unbelievable feature if it was possible, and add another level of depth to an already feature packed photomode. 👍

On a more personal level, I think that the style of photography I have championed over the years will finally begin to shine with the release GT5. Unlike everyone else in the GT4 photomode galleries, I stood alone in understanding the true power of the photomode application in GT4, and from the very start of my gallery, I have championed its strengths and potential.

Unfortunately, due to the weaknesses of the system it was placed in (ie GT4, and the PS2), the power of Photoshop was always greater. Being the fundamentalist I was, I slowly lost interest in taking pictures because it was very hard to compete with artists, who more often than not understood very little of what PD had tried to introduce with the photomode application.

Thankfully the playing field has been levelled, and not a moment too soon! Give me a couple of days to find my feet (once the game is released), and I will reveal the true power of GT5's photomode application! 👍
 
Move should work nice with phototravel.
 
Denur switched from daylight to night time in the short time we tried the Photomode at Gamescom, we couldn't do much else without a dualshock or analog sticks but yeah you can do that.

From:
GT5_GC_2010_photomode_5.jpg

To:
GT5_GC_2010_photomode_7.jpg
 
Move should work nice with phototravel.

Nice touch! I wonder if GT5's photomode will support the PS3 remote too? 💡

Denur switched from daylight to night time in the short time we tried the Photomode at Gamescom, we couldn't do much else without a dualshock or analog sticks but yeah you can do that.

Photomode keeps getting better and better! Have you got any info on whether you can choose a specific time of day? For instance, could I choose sunrise/sunset or middle of the day? 👍

Vertical or Horizontal picture. like GT4. _ or |

Shucks, and there was me thinking that you could use the sixaxis, to control the camera... It would be nice if you could though! 👍
 
Back