Relaxedness

• Thread starter O604
  • 10 comments
Canada
Canada
Kaizen-Teian
Just wondering, how relaxed are you when racing? And do you have any tips to give less experienced online racers like me to stay relaxed?

Overall it's probably best to use as little force as possible on both the wheel and pedals. Once early on I ripped my wheel off the desk. I've moved the pedals + table weighing it down a few times too.

I used to keep a towel around to wipe my hands during a race. Don't need that anymore. I'm pretty relaxed now but could improve.

Occasionally I can tell my wheel grip is tightening. If it gets too tight, I one hand or let go of the wheel to loosen up and have to remind myself to stay calm.

I can totally tell when I'm too tense. I flap the gears a lot harder and the clicking gets really loud. So I use that as a sign to myself that I should relax.

Any other tips? Thanks for reading. :bowdown:

To answer your question, I try to go into the race as relaxed as possible and not get too flustered if I am falling back on pace or get involved in incidents, because fortunes can and have turned back the opposite way.

I usually stretch before racing since I want to be as limber as possible. In addition, I drink hot tea or water before and during the race. Plus, I try to practice on the track before the race to get comfortable.

Must have been an expensive wheel if it has cupholders! :D

I am not that fortunate or skilled in building things! :D I created my set-up out of PVC pipe, old Trex wood for pedal mount and IKEA shelf for platform. I keep my tea on the bookshelf for safe keeping:

20171124_133214.jpg

Last edited:
I try to not pay to much attention to the people behind unless they are within 2 or 3 tenths. If you keep your eyes up and forward, you'll hit your braking points. Actually, I only get nervous when I'm in the lead with a decent gap because I know I will relax to much and miss a braking point or dip 2 wheels off. I feel its more of a learned skill than anything else tbh

Before racing tonight, it was a half pint of coffee and hazelnut milk-stout, one lap of refreshing myself with the braking points, then spent the warmup telling myself to take what I can from the race, don’t fight where I don’t need to because the other cars are going to drive themselves off the track.

I won!

I only get really tense during the endurances... I tend to slouch in the seat mostly and then I sit up and worry a bit if I'm in 2nd or 1st and am about to take the lead.

Then its your own race, its all on you. Watch the intervals and see how much time you pull.

If you're on 12 laps worth of fuel with 10 laps left then leave it on fuel map one and just make time every lap.

Then you relax.

As @BanditRa101801 mentioned I feel you must be comfortable with the car and track combo first. I use qualifying as a practice session. Through pushing the car to it's limit, you eventually find a point where your inputs become second nature. Then when your in a race you're more relaxed because you don't have to worry about driving as much as the cars around you.

In fact I have become too relaxed sometimes. I've had times where I wasn't really racing anyone and gone over a lap on cruise control while my mind was thinking about something else. Another time I was leading a race and watching the 2 cars behind battle for 2nd. I crossed the finish line and let go of the wheel and gas and Bam! into the wall, oops. One lap left. :ouch: But yeah, it pays off in the race. Of course there are times when racing can get intense, but I look forward to it because I know the pressure isn't going to affect my driving.

Last edited:
Back