Remote B-spec mode - anyone worried about overheating their PS3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter khooke
  • 29 comments
  • 5,148 views
Messages
64
Messages
powerkiter
Given that I have an original 60GB PS3 and it's still hanging on, I'm deliberately not playing GT5 for more than an hour or so because I don't want my poor PS3 to die from overheating.

So while the upcoming remote/web-based b-spec mode sounds interesting, is anyone else worried about leaving their PS3 on to run b-spec and killing their machine?

http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/products/gt5/bspec/
 
Given that I have an original 60GB PS3 and it's still hanging on, I'm deliberately not playing GT5 for more than an hour or so because I don't want my poor PS3 to die from overheating.

So while the upcoming remote/web-based b-spec mode sounds interesting, is anyone else worried about leaving their PS3 on to run b-spec and killing their machine?

http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/products/gt5/bspec/

It'll only overheat if your ambient room temperature is high (or unless you have a faulty PS3). I've got a 60GB PS3 and it's been on for 8 days straight now running races on B-spec. The only time I've ever heard its fans on 100% is when I close the door to my room and let it get hot. Otherwise it runs perfectly. I don't think it's that bad, considering both myself and a friend have ran our PS3s for months at a time running F@H (100% CPU and GPU usage).
 
I don't think it's that bad, considering both myself and a friend have ran our PS3s for months at a time running F@H (100% CPU and GPU usage).

That's true I forgot about F@H I ran that for a few days myself at one point.

I try and keep all the vents free of dust and haven't heard the fans at 100% for a while come to think of it. Last time was playing GTA for a couple of hours. Seems GTA is more intensive and gets the temp up quicker than GT5 does. I'm just being careful - would like to get another year or two from my old 60gb if I can :-)
 
A PS3 won't burn out after an hour. Hell, you could leave it on for a few days, and most likely come away problem free. Some people run PS3's for days and have no problems.


Don't be scared to run it for a few hours.
 
This time of year, in England! not a problem for me at least.
 
I have a 80GB model, so I think i dont have to worry about overheating.
 
What about 320gb?
 
Original 60gb running it all day every day, have been since I got it from release.

My computer has to put up with more stress tbh as it sits above the bass :D
 
This time of year, in England! not a problem for me at least.

Haha yep! My room is pretty much kept warm by my computer and PS3. Nice way of saving on the heating bill. :lol:

If you're really worried about overheating your PS3, take it out from under your TV stand and put it on top of a table where it's got plenty of room to breathe. Then aim a small fan at it. 👍
 
Im gonna buy one of the cooling fans for my 250GB slim for the Long Eduros. You should do the same, there are MILLIONS for the Big Versions...
 
Haha yep! My room is pretty much kept warm by my computer and PS3. Nice way of saving on the heating bill. :lol:

Expensive way to heat your room up. :)
 
Im gonna buy one of the cooling fans for my 250GB slim for the Long Eduros. You should do the same, there are MILLIONS for the Big Versions...

Iev got one and its useless, just collects dust, made no change to the running temp. In fact im pretty sure the normal fan worked overtime with it.
 
My DFGT gets hotter than my PS3 after a good 4-5 hour session.
 
What about 320gb?

40nm chip, cool running. No problems with your unit mate, I myself got a 160GB and is way quieter than a 2 year old 80GB model.
 
im actually more worried about overheating my g27 then my PS3. Go for it bro. Sony knows their ****, they know people game for hours on end without stopping.
 
FYI
My 320GB Slim gets about 35-40c exhaust temp.Ambient around 20-21.
 
G27 overheating? I'm more worried about tearing the steering wheel off from opposite-lock drifting.............

And I think my 250gb slim is fine on its vertical stand in a 75 degree room...
 
Given that I have an original 60GB PS3 and it's still hanging on, I'm deliberately not playing GT5 for more than an hour or so because I don't want my poor PS3 to die from overheating.

So while the upcoming remote/web-based b-spec mode sounds interesting, is anyone else worried about leaving their PS3 on to run b-spec and killing their machine?

http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/products/gt5/bspec/

My ps3 never overheated even in the 3 years I had it.


Unless you live in somewhere like Abu dhabi then you will have air conditioning for sure because even if your not using it you will have to preserve it because it can get to 60 degrees in the summer outside. That's why most accidents come from the highway because the tyres would burst.



As long as temperatures are below 20 degrees in where you are playing there is no problem playing ps3 for long periods of time.

I know xbox360 does overheat a lot even on places around 0 degrees Ps3 never though.


My driving force GT was overheating when I first bought it because I play with max (10) force feed back then after months of playing it the overheating was gone :)
 
i haven't closed my slim 120gb ps3 in over 6 months, its running 24/7
 
This time of year, in England! not a problem for me at least.

Too RIGHT! Infact in the North of England where I am I could probably worry about overheating my Fatty 40GB about 2 days a year. Dont they say its not the lenght of time its on but when you turn it off and it cools that does the damage? I can see the reason. I work in a glassworks as an electrical maintenance engineer (sounds fancy but I fix machines). The ambient temp is pretty high most of the year due to the temps needed to make glass. We have kit thats running hot all the time. Its only really if theres a power cut or its turned off that it breaks down. When I stop playing I leave the Fatty on the "Desktop" for a bit. That way the electronics are still doing something and are warm. Im sure generating the graphics makes em warmer. I think this way you get a steadier cool down rate and it is less likely for the solder to crack or capacitors to dry up and fail.
 
I set the view to the one that shows the lap times for all the cars that I read somewhere on this forum uses less resouces and just leave it. One time I had it on full view for a championship and when he finished the last race on nurburgring it froze and I had to do it all over again lol.
 
FYI
My 320GB Slim gets about 35-40c exhaust temp.Ambient around 20-21.

Good to know 👍 My launch 60gb runs a rear vent exhaust temp of 39-42c at 20-25c ambient and 43-48c at anything above 25c ambient. Anything over 43c noticeably gets the fan speed up but it drops to 41c and the fan lowers to a slow and near silent speed. 👍 Sydney get`s hot, 30-40c ambient every day and has high humidity during summer :crazy:
 
everyone keeps talking about having just perfect ambient room temperature and thats fine. i am shocked by so many people having perfect room temperature 24 hours a day non stop for months on end. what you guys do? air con non stop? theres a thing called seasons and the weather.
 
everyone keeps talking about having just perfect ambient room temperature and thats fine. i am shocked by so many people having perfect room temperature 24 hours a day non stop for months on end. what you guys do? air con non stop? theres a thing called seasons and the weather.

No some of us live in England where it ranges from Cold to not quite cold and occasionally reaches "just a bit warmer than not quite cold".The first time I went to Florida I thought some one had set fire to the Plane when they opened the doors!
 
You should have tried it when I went to Egypt in June this year, outdoor temperature was 40 degrees, going up to 50 by the weekend...
 
I set the view to the one that shows the lap times for all the cars that I read somewhere on this forum uses less resouces and just leave it.

This is correct.

If you're leaving your system on to run B-Spec races just set it to the Live Timing Monitor rather than the Race Monitor. Since the system only has to render the small image in the corner rather than the entire screen it uses significantly less processing power and therefore runs much cooler.
 
Ive been running the 60 GB that I bought on launch day when PS3 came out for days on end B Specing.
Just for the record she hasn't had a break all weekend.....
They love the heat :)
B Spec Level 28
 
Back