Rename the Jeep Cherokee / Grand Cherokee

United States
Marin County
Jeep has been in the news lately because the Cherokee nation has asked them to stop using their name for a car. I feel like this is a pretty reasonable position for them, as it tends to trivialize their culture but I'll leave further discussion on that for other forum sections. I thought it might be fun to create a thread to suggest new names for this iconic vehicle. There was a recent Jalopnik article with the same premise and one I saw there that was pretty funny was:

Cherokee - Macho Man
Grand Cherokee - Mach Macho Man

For me I feel like a name conveying the spirit of the American west would be most appropriate. Some ideas

Pioneer
Condor
Scout

Really liking Pioneer, and it's fitting as the Pioneer Cherokee* was the first SUV that's easily identifiable as such. There's a a pleasing tie-in with Jeep nomenclature as well, specifically the Wagoneer.

*Edit. That's how easy it is to call it that.

Last edited:
Jeep "I'm an unreliable turd" would be a good name.

I mean no wonder they don't want their tribe to be associated with something like a Chrysler :lol:

Last edited:
How about Apaches call Boeing to rename the AH-64 attack helicopter?

Also tomahawk missiles.

Funny how there is pictures of Native American chiefs blessing these weapons of war while at the same time try to give the image how peaceful the native americans are.

When history tells us a different story.

I always thought 'Jeep Commander' was a decent name, and now that the Grand Wagoneer nameplate is back on a large SUV, there's no other good use for the Commander nameplate. I don't think they should change the name, though.

Jeep Rancher.
Jeep Buckaroo
Jeep Commando
Jeep Avalanche
Jeep Ranger Rider
Jeep Ragnar

If the Cherokee nation has declared that they don't want Jeep to use the "Cherokee" nam on their mid-range and flagship SUVs anymore, which seems to be the case, I think Jeep should honor their request. I honestly don't see what Jeep has to lose. Whatever the hell they call them, they will continue to sell well because they already sell well, and in the case of the Grand Cherokee, it has a reputation for being one of the most stylish non-luxury SUVs. And I bet if Jeep does follow through and renames the Cherokee to something else, Tucker Carlson and other reactionary right-wingers will scream cancel culture and rile up their base to boycott Jeep.

I say the Cherokee should be renamed Jeep Hornet, the regular Grand Cherokee be called the Jeep Laredo, and the Grand Cherokee L be renamed Commander, since it basically is the successor to the 2006-2010 Commander.

Last edited:
Given the people I see in these... the only appropriate names are the Karen and the Grand Karen.

Absolutely think the name should be changed though.

I’m not sure I like the idea of using the Hornet name if only because an SUV is a far cry from the Fabulous Hudson Hornet. Yes, yes, I know about the AMC Hornet of the 1970s, but even that got renamed to Concord, and the Gremlin and Spirit were related to it. You might also get some grief from International-Harvester on the use of the Scout name. I say go through all those old Nash, Hudson, Willys, and AMC for names that might be appropriate.

Cowboy from AMC’s stillborn coupe utility? Probably not. Going from the name of a native tribe to Cowboy seems pretty provocative.
Spirit? It was the replacement for the Gremlin as well as a forgettable subcompact Dodge. It’s been sitting on the shelf long enough for the previous associations to not matter any more.
Ambassador? I actually like this one. It was Nash’s full-sized car, then AMC’s. It’s more than suitable for an SUV.
Matador? The last full-sized AMC, this might not be a bad idea, either.
Rambler? I like this one. It sounds appropriate when applied to an SUV.
Commodore? Another one I think is a good fit. Get away from the tired old western trope and head out to sea.

I’m not sure I like the idea of using the Hornet name if only because an SUV is a far cry from the Fabulous Hudson Hornet. Yes, yes, I know about the AMC Hornet of the 1970s, but even that got renamed to Concord, and the Gremlin and Spirit were related to it. You might also get some grief from International-Harvester on the use of the Scout name. I say go through all those old Nash, Hudson, Willys, and AMC for names that might be appropriate.

Cowboy from AMC’s stillborn coupe utility? Probably not. Going from the name of a native tribe to Cowboy seems pretty provocative.
Spirit? It was the replacement for the Gremlin as well as a forgettable subcompact Dodge. It’s been sitting on the shelf long enough for the previous associations to not matter any more.
Ambassador? I actually like this one. It was Nash’s full-sized car, then AMC’s. It’s more than suitable for an SUV.
Matador? The last full-sized AMC, this might not be a bad idea, either.
Rambler? I like this one. It sounds appropriate when applied to an SUV.
Commodore? Another one I think is a good fit. Get away from the tired old western trope and head out to sea.

Yeah I'm liking Spirit and Rambler.
Eagle is another possibility.

My only wish is that if they do change the name, I hope they avoid military terminology. The tacti-cool brigade has enough pull on the Jeep brand as it is...

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't object to Gremlin at all.

*passive aggressive sad-angry Australian noises intensify*
I can’t believe I forgot that association. It isn’t as if I played FH3 set in Australia for two years. I was thinking of the Hudson Commodore from the 1940s/1950s. Even though GM killed Holden, there’s no way they’d give up the Commodore name.

Last edited:
I can’t believe I forgot that association. It isn’t as if I played FH3 set in Australia for two years. I was thinking of the Hudson Commodore from the 1940s/1950s. Even though GM killed Holden, there’s no way they’d give up the Commodore name.
GM would only have a say if they actually had the name trademarked outside of Australia. Maybe they do, but Chrysler is the one who ended up with all of Hudson's stuff; so maybe not.

Back