[Renamed] The Interlagos GP Thread

This qualifying session was more exciting than most races. I couldnt believe it at the end. The announcers were waiting for Webber to come out and there kind of joking, saying that he doesnt have a chance etc. The thru the first 2 sectors he is faster than anyone else. I was so excited. Its a damn shame he couldnt pull off pole position because that would really turn things around. This season of F1 is the most exciting sporting series I have ever witnessed. I would really like to see a mixed up field again at the end of tomorrows race.

People claimed that Webber only got pole in Fridays qualifying because the track had dried out for him a little. They didnt say that it was his actual skill. I dont think theres any denying that him and Jaguar are very formiddable this year. I wonder how much fuel he has on board?

What do you guys think about how much fuel everyone has?

Qualifying for Saturday.

Tommorow I am going to cheer for Rubeno!

He has such bad luck here so i'm just hoping he doesn't this year. :D

Although im a little skeptical about the Jags performance, it's still nice to see Webber up there with the big boys.

Oh and somebody make Raikkonen take a 'confidence in speaking to the public' class. I can barely hear what the guy has to say. :D

Jaguar said they have a very potent team this year. They really think they will be a major contender. I guess people should take them seriously:confused:

Anyways, this year is gonna be great:sly:

I think Webber's running something on the light side. He was massively quickest in sector 2, where all the turns are, and to me that indicates a lack of weight.

I like the new format, although it does smack of artificality. I definitely think it's bad that there's all this doubt about weight, because it masks a truly great qualifying session. I like the pit-lane weighbridge idea that's been bandied about.

I'm going to rename this thread to make it more general Interlagos...

Please see the thread guidelines at the top of the forum.

WHAT A RACE!!!!!!!!

This race had everything. Beautifull passing manouvres, crashes and drama.

Too bad Fisichella didn't win in Jordans 200th race. And that Verstappen couldn't finish. He was on a no-stop strategy.

If I used to have F1 fever, now I have the F1 Ebola Virus.

Where has F1 been all of my life. My brother and Dad (who used to hate F1) were sitting on the edge of their seats for the last half of the race. They love it. My dad is really into it, and my brother was looking around on the F1.com website.

He likes Renault alot and my dad is cheering for jaguar of course!

I LOVE F1!!

I'll just copy and paste what i wrote at the GTF. :D

1. That was possibly the best F1 race i've ever seen. (third year of watching motorsport)
2. Webber did an awesome job saving the car at the accident prone turn three, and was the only one to do so.
3. About time Michael S. didn't finish a race.
4. I feel really sorry for Ruebens. :(
5. Giancarlo deserved the win, but second place is still an awesome result.
6. Webber did an awesome job this weekend, both in qualifying and during the race. My driver of the race.
7. My congratulations go to Alonso for yet another podium position.
8. Third exciting race out of three races in F1 this year... Lets hope this sort of thing becomes more common.
9. Shame about what happened to Webber on the pit straight. :(

(as you can tell, i am a Webber fan!)

...and also to young Fernando
he had to have not seen the flags or heard his radio, i reckon that was almost as big as Mark's crash, see his impact into the tyre barrier? i would hate to be him ATM

McLaren were lucky, Giancarlo was robbed (IMO), the saftey car should've been out after Pizzonia went in beside JPM not after Michael crashed as well (he only just missed the crane that was lifting the other 2 cars over the fence), what does rubens have to do to win there? make it a one car race?, and finally the drainage problem has to be addressed

the end

Originally posted by under18carbon
Damn I missed the race . And I missed the replay too *runs around with a knife in head*

Yes, I think that would be suitable punishment for missing such a great race.

Kimmi (Mumbler) and Coultard (Squarehead) having a fantastic battle. MS looking strong until he effed up at that thrid corner. I recon that Coultard would have won if wasn't for that pesky safety car being called out 5 million times. Poor Barichello he must be feeling so pissed off at the moment. Also is it common to see the second place car to catch fire at the end of the race? :D

Well it was a quality cosworth fire anyway.

Effing awesome race.

Heh. I'll second that - Coulthard was stiff, he about had it in the bag if it had gone the distance.

Interesting the race fell into Raikkonen's lap - I wonder now that he's won he's starting to pick up the old style luck of Michael Schumacher.

I was also rapt to see Webber up there - he did look pretty comfortable up the front (well, until the spin and the crash).

Does anyone know how Alonso is doing, or how he was injured?

I missed the replay and on the live coverage they decided to cut out the press conference and interviews because the race had been longer than expected.

Still poor old Rubens. :(

Originally posted by Race Idiot
Does anyone know how Alonso is doing, or how he was injured?

Last thing i've heard about Alonso is that he is allready been fired from the hospital and back home. All he had were some cuts and bruises to his left leg, that's all.

Just on the Alonso crash - what the hell was he doing go through there (under double waved yellows) at full noise, well over a minute AFTER the Webber crash? For a bloke that had already been pinged for passing under yellows, that was pretty stupid - it's one of the few times that a Villenueve outburst after a race (about silly driving at Brazil) actually had some basis in fact.

It's even worse if Renault had advised him of the incident!

I was thinking that as well. We'd seen both Fisi and Kimi go through at vastly reduced speed. And don't forget, the yellows had gone 'full course' by then, because the safety car was hanging out at turn 3.

Oh, and Vat, there are rumours of Webber+, Schumacher- at Williams in 2004...

Originally posted by TsLeng
Not a surprise considering Ralf's performance.

Absolutely. Williams are notorious for not paying megabucks to drivers, and for demanding absolute excellence when they do. The fact that BMW basically commanded them to resign Ralf on a long-term deal has made life difficult for all concerned. I wonder if this too is adding stress to the Williams-BMW partnership.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
I was thinking that as well. We'd seen both Fisi and Kimi go through at vastly reduced speed. And don't forget, the yellows had gone 'full course' by then, because the safety car was hanging out at turn 3.

When was the red out? I heard some talk they actually put the red out before Alonso's accident.

Can't say I'm surprised about Ralf going from Williams - he's been particularly unimpressive this season, and I imagine Raikkonen and Alonso going around the outside of him at Brazil won't have done him any favours - and Webber has been damn impressive at Jaguar so far - he's made Pizzonia look like an idiot. I'd be surprised if Jaguar let him go - but if they're in the financial hole that is rumoured they might not have a choice.

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie

I dub thee 'F1 Rumour Reporter'.

From www.grandprix.com today.

There has been a lot of talk in F1 circles in recent days about the future of Ralf Schumacher with the BMW Williams team. Schumacher has a contract which runs until the end of 2004 but there are key signs that the relationship may come to an end before then. The rumors began when Willi Weber, Ralf's manager, speculated that Ralf might move on to Toyota. Weber said that he wants Ralf to stay at Williams for two more years but that Toyota is a good alternative. The only slight problem with this idea is that Toyota has shown no interest at all in Ralf and so the stories are being seen more and more as attempts to create some leverage to try to negotiate a better deal for Ralf. This is not going to happen as Ralf is currently earning $15m in 2003 and is scheduled to earn $18m next year. This deal was negotiated at a time when the economic situation was nowhere near as difficult as it is today. Schumacher has not done very well in the last 12 months, particularly when compared to his team mate Juan Pablo Montoya. Williams wants better results and unless things start to happen soon, there is a danger that Williams will decide to terminate the contract and pick a new driver. This happened a few years ago when Alex Zanardi failed to win the team's confidence. The result was that Zanardi was paid off.

...and as a bit of a bonus (again from www.grandprix.com)...

The Formula 1 paddock in Brazil was full of rumors raising the question of whether Antonio Pizzonia is the right man for the job as Mark Webber's team mate.

When Pizzonia was signed by Jaguar last autumn the new F1 regulations were not in existence. The decision by Jaguar to restrict its testing has meant that Pizzonia has not been able to learn as much as he would have been able to if the team had been testing between the races. This seems to have had an effect on the Brazilian driver's performance in the early races this year. Mark Webber's astonishing performance in qualifying in Brazil showed up Pizzonia once again as he was only 17th on the grid.

The suggestion is that the emphasis in F1 is now on experience because there is very little time for a young driver to test and learn the ropes in Formula 1. Three of the four new boys this year are driving for teams which have agreed to restrict their testing to Friday mornings at Grands Prix meetings. This means it is very hard for them to get to grips with the sport and Pizzonia has clearly struggled.

"We have had a few people knocking on the door and offering their services," said a Jaguar insider. "We have to see how Antonio does but at the moment we are not very happy."

Fun and games - this looks like a vintage season already!

Why is Villeneuve such a winy b!tch?

I mean, he is the second highest paid driver. He seems to get alot of respect with the commentators. But for the entire time I've been watching F1 he has never done anything spectacular.

I know he won in 1997, but was he really that good? Like did he totally dominate or what?

He doesnt seem like a good driver, unless he is just with a crappy team.

Do you guys think he is not doing as well because of the team he is with is holding him back?

Or does he just not have it anymore? Who did he win the World Championship with?

He won it with Williams - they were dominant that year, but he did have to fight off Michael Schumacher, it was pretty hard fought.

I've no doubt he's one of the best guys out there, but I think he's wasted his 'golden period' in hard years at BAR. If he got his backside in a competitive car again I wonder if he'd show the same speed he did back in the mid to late '90s.

I was actually at his debut GP at Melbourne in '96 - he's very quick, no question.

Back