Renaming Cars

• Thread starter FRR35H
  • 0 comments
Australia
Australia
frr35h101
This will be a short tutorial on renaming cars in GT2. This works only for replays for now and once myself or someone else has completely figured out the way to rename the garage cars, I'll add this as well.

What you will need:
GT2Carviewer
HEX editor ( I use XVI32)
An extracted GT2.VOL
Patience and a keen eye. ;)

Step 1.
In your extracted VOL, locate the file named ".carinfoa" ( I assume this will work with the other two carinfo files if you run a version other than NTSCU). Open this up with your Hex editor program.

Step 2.
Open GT2Carviewer and open your carobj folder in your VOL.
accord.png

Step 3.
Using the GT2Carviewer list as a guide you can count down (or up) to find the car you want to rename in HEX. Eg. Let's say we want to rename the [R]Honda Accord into Castrol Accord. We need to first find the correct car as there are multiple accords and without knowing off the top of your head which Accord race mod is the Castrol and which is the BTCC or other, you might end up renaming the wrong car.
So once you have found the car in GT2Carviewer, you should take careful note of the cars above and even below for more accuracy.
In this instance, the car above is the Honda Z Turbo and the car below is the Honda Accord Wagon.
Using the HEX Editor simply locate the Honda Z Turbo using the find tool and below that you will notice Honda Accord Sedan '96. You will also notice the name repeats itself. First instance is for the normal version of the car, the second is the [R] version. Go ahead and rename the car. Save the file and close the Hex editor.
renaming hex.png

IMPORTANT NOTE! The names are limited to the original character limit. Meaning if you have a car that originally had 10 characters in it's name, you cannot exceed 10 with the new name. This includes spaces. This also includes the space after the last active character.

Step 4.
Once you have successfully renamed the car(s) you wanted, rebuild your vol and rebuild your game. Enjoy your new replay names.
Note* I'll upload a pic of the finished result once I can.

The reason I use GT2Carviewer as opposed to just a carid list is that you can actually see the model of the car you are trying to rename as opposed to guessing. I think this also helps speed the renaming process up as I just renamed multiple cars in one go without too much difficulty.

Now everyone post there creations! :).

Credit to B_radd88 for his help in teaching me how to rename.
Credit to Tannerd92 who was the original founder of the renaming mod I believe.

Back