Renault 5 Turbo '80,oh dear!

66'Roadster

(Banned)
I bought this yesterday as it sounds great on paper and often shows up as an AI car in gt5, but by god does it suffer catastrophic oversteer! Took it on 'that'course, and no matter what i do to the suspension,toe,camber etc it ends up in the cat litter on the second corner! So you slow right down,the AIs shoot past. You then accelerate out of the corner and woosh,360 spin and youre out! How the hell did anyone manage to rally this thing is beyond me!

History disagrees. The car did win both the Monte-Carlo and Tour de Corse rallies, so MR seems to be a good way to go (well at least it did back then, since 4wd wasn't that well developed yet). And how about the Peugot 205 T16, which also won the Monte-Carlo rally and was manufacturer's championship and driver's championship twice. Against the Audi Quattro which was as we all know 4wd. You do need to get used to the car to drive it though, but it is in no way ''not good at all''.

History disagrees. The car did win both the Monte-Carlo and Tour de Corse rallies, so MR seems to be a good way to go (well at least it did back then, since 4wd wasn't that well developed yet). And how about the Peugot 205 T16, which also won the Monte-Carlo rally and was manufacturer's championship and driver's championship twice. Against the Audi Quattro which was as we all know 4wd. You do need to get used to the car to drive it though, but it is in no way ''not good at all''.

GT has obviously screwed the handling of the Renault, much they the have with the RUF BTR in GT5.

Plus, you do realise the Peugeot is 4wd? The only MR rally cars in GT5 from what I can see are the Renault and the Lancia Stratos.

Last edited:
GT5 has obviously screwed the handling of the Renault, much they the have with the RUF BTR.

Plus, you do realise the Peugeot is 4wd? The only MR rally cars in GT5 from what I can see are the Renault and the Lancia Stratos.

But this is the psp version, or are things the same as in GT5?

*epic self facepalm* You're right about the Peugeot really. I'm very sorry. :lol:

But anyway I don't think GT5 or GT PSP botched it at all. It makes sense. The car is very powerful (especialy the rally version) and it didn't have the electronic gismo's we have today.

But this is the psp version, or are things the same as in GT5?
Sorry, phone used predictive txt to change it as I've never entered 'GTPSP' in it's dictionary. I meant PSP. Should have checked.

But anyway I don't think GT5 or GT PSP botched it at all. It makes sense. The car is very powerful (especialy the rally version) and it didn't have the electronic gismo's we have today.
It's much better balanced in real life than the game would have you believe. Believe me, there are cars in the game that handle nothing like their real life counterparts, unfortunately.

You could be right as I've never driven one. And I do agree there are certain cars, that are botched up, but have you ever driven one?

You could be right as I've never driven one. And I do agree there are certain cars, that are botched up, but have you ever driven one?
Not driven one, but been in the passenger seat in a friend's road version around Brands Hatch. He's a pretty brisk driver and I didn't notice anything wayward other than porsche-esque braking tendancies (oversteer under heavy braking).

Frankly, I love that car!

renault5turbo.jpg

It's hard to drive, I hated it, but I took time to learn how to drive it, and now it's really fun, but still, those looks, eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww, then again, I think all Renaults are ugly except the 2003 Clio Sport :D

Hmmm...GTPSP's Rally dynamics as I observed.
Just some notes:

we raced the Turbo '80 before here. Less powerful version but pretty much same tendencies as the Maxi Turbo.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=129417

Professional S2's @ Grand Valley Speedway

Its handles the same way as the Maxi Turbo '85 just double the Power its got.

I've taken the Maxi Turbo '85 on Tahiti Maze before and Its just practice to learn how to control the Car. Its scary fast and needs throttle control and knowing its braking limits. You just can't push hard too much on the gas whenever you're cornering. Avoid 4wheel drifts with MRs and FRs as the front wheels will really grip very tight at the apexes causing 360 degree slips. Drifting the Rears is nice but overall in GTPSP I have observed that having too much wheelspin will lose you big lap times. I'm a big fan of Initial D's hachi rokku though. :)

My advice for driving Rally in GTPSP: FRs and MRs
Driving Lines:
IN-OUT-IN

CORNER ENTRY
brake hard before the turn. turn the car at an angle where you will see in your front just at least the corner exits outside opening.

WHILE CORNERING
Grasp control of the car while braking light taps (short taps). After a split second while successfully achieving an angle wherein you now see the inside opening of the exit, HIT the GAS!!! FLAT OUT! This will make the car overcome the tendency to oversteer. If you wait til you reach the EXIT before you make your move, you will already lose REAR wheel traction intended to push your car out of the corner at the correct angle. I think its because much of the weight has already been transferred to the Front tires and the Rear wheels wont be able to balance that weight transfer. Just push the car out of that corner as soon as you see the Insides of the Exit.

CORNER EXIT
By this time, you have already solved the cars tendency to hit the apex and crash. There is still the possibility that at Low gears with powerful cars, it will be very unstable. This is where I countersteer slightly and lightly tap tap tap the gas just to break out of that sudden jerking movement while still at low gears(1st, 2nd).

This is the Celica and Subaru at Tahiti maze using Professional DRTs, Both are AWD, but can basically explain this method to avoid these Spin outs.

Last edited:
I bought this yesterday as it sounds great on paper and often shows up as an AI car in gt5, but by god does it suffer catastrophic oversteer! Took it on 'that'course, and no matter what i do to the suspension,toe,camber etc it ends up in the cat litter on the second corner! So you slow right down,the AIs shoot past. You then accelerate out of the corner and woosh,360 spin and youre out! How the hell did anyone manage to rally this thing is beyond me!

My old man who was and still is carmechanic use to called this car a dead man box..

Latest Posts

Back