Renault Clio Sport V6 Phase ll

• Thread starter DuckRacer
  • 17 comments

DuckRacer

Premium
Hi, I need settings for a fully modded Renault Clio Sport V6 Phase ll. I'm racing in the Clio Trophy races, and whenever I turn, it has a tendency to oversteer, usually resulting in spinning out 3+ times per race. I want the settings to make the car turn with no oversteer at all.

Thanks,
Duck7892

Duck7892
Hi, I need settings for a fully modded Renault Clio Sport V6 Phase ll. I'm racing in the Clio Trophy races, and whenever I turn, it has a tendency to oversteer, usually resulting in spinning out 3+ times per race. I want the settings to make the car turn with no oversteer at all.

Thanks,
Duck7892

I'm having the exact opposite problem. My little red Clio Sport V6 Phase II has a tendency to understeer, a lot. I'm messing with suspension setups and the TCS as we speak.

Duck7892

Thanks,
Duck7892

Hi Duck

These worked for me I hope they work for you, it does not kill the understeer but it helps. Feather the throttle, if in doubt and the tail is stepping out try heaps of throttle and see where it helps the situation and where it does not.

From the default racing suspension setup I turned down the read spring from 8.6 to 7.0, all the damper settings from 8 to 7 and the rear bar from 4 to 2.

The idea was to try to take some load off the outside rear and it worked well.

This helped alot and I was able to get by, it is not perfect but it allowed me to win all the races in Clio Trophy, I had trouble flying through the fast corners like the AI seems to but the traction is fantastic, a bit slow in fast out like a RR car. If the rear starts to slip give it a bit more gas and it will grip and go, this is where the "slow in" helps.

You could go softer on the rear spring rate and it might help the tail grip a bit more too.

I also had a 1.5 limited slip diff installed, I love them.

Let me know if it works, Nick

Nick, I tried out your settings and on Suzuka, and I almost always go in some freak drift on the first curve and end up in the grass or sand. And on the curve leading to the spoon curve, it gets tailhappy and spins me into the wall. I honestly appreciate you trying to help me.

If you need my current settings to help, just ask.

Duck7892

Duck7892
If you need my current settings to help, just ask.

Duck7892

Yeah might as well and I will have a go with them and see if I can straighten it out a bit, it was one of my favourite cars in GT3 and I arrived at a really nice setup that I could steer with the throttle, lets see if we can get to that stage.

Nick

I just completed the Clio races with the Phase 2, and I had a lot of the same problems. I wanted to keep the mods down as much as possible, so I only did suspension, transmission, and tire mods. I also figured, since they were relatively short races, I would use super-soft tires. BIG mistake. Because my car was so loose, half way through the second lap my rear tires were basically gone. Obviously, that only made matters worse. What I ended up doing was transferring some of the weight balance to the rear, I lowered the front of the car as much as possible and raised the back up to hopefully get more downforce, I also stiffened everything up, with the rear being somewhat softer than the front. It seemed to help some, but it still oversteers like crazy. The only thing I didn't try was to decrease the downforce on the front to see if that balances it out more. I'm actually done with those races, but maybe I'll give them another try to see if adjusting downforce helps. Let me know if any of this helps you.

Nick - Everything is default, except downforce is maximum, and I have racing mediums for tires.

Z_Beeblebrox - I used your advice, and the oversteer is a lot more controllable. However, I can't get consistant lap times on Suzuka. If you want to improve on these settings I created with your advice, feel free to do so: Spring Rate 7.8/10.0, Ride Height 86/118, Ballast Weight 50, Ballast location -15.

Thanks,
Duck7892

Duck7892
Nick - Everything is default, except downforce is maximum, and I have racing mediums for tires.

Z_Beeblebrox - I used your advice, and the oversteer is a lot more controllable. However, I can't get consistant lap times on Suzuka. If you want to improve on these settings I created with your advice, feel free to do so: Spring Rate 7.8/10.0, Ride Height 86/118, Ballast Weight 50, Ballast location

Hi Duck

I have not been able to get to GT4 in the last couple of days so I have not tried anything, so this is all guess work.

Looking above it seems you have your rear spring rate higher than your front, try softening it up for more grip.

Also if you have the downforce turned up at all I assume you have fitted a wing, try lowering the down force on the front as you want it to grip less.

You could also try moving the weight forward. As I enderstand the rear weight bias in MR cars is most of the reason for a loose tail on on a trailing throttle, the forward weight will make the front less jumpy and the rear slide less.

All theory but see if it works, let us know how you go.

Nick

Nick, I lowered the front downforce to 20, set the ballast weight at 75, and located the ballast at -50, and I won the Clio Trophy easily. I appreciate your advice a lot, and now my Clio is a lot easier to race, with almost no oversteer. Thanks. :D 👍

Thanks again,
Duck7892

PD default settings for the race suspensions are way too hard on springs, dampers and bars.
I find using the semi racing suspensions on road cars makes them easier to drive.
I did this event last night with 355 hp. Stock the semi racing suspension was a bit oversteery but reducing the rear bar helped.

Duck7892
Nick, I lowered the front downforce to 20, set the ballast weight at 75, and located the ballast at -50, and I won the Clio Trophy easily. I appreciate your advice a lot, and now my Clio is a lot easier to race, with almost no oversteer. Thanks. :D 👍

Thanks again,
Duck7892

My pleasure. Glad you trounced it.

Happy racing 👍

Nick

Try these, tuned on racing mediums with all modifications including wing and frame stiffener:

brake 3/3
springs 9.3/9.2
height 96/96
bound 6/6
rebound 7/7
camber 2.6/1.5
stabilizer 4/4
asm/o 0
asm/u 0
tcs 2
downforce 20/30
lsd 10/40/20

I qualified 3rd at Suzuka and B-Spec Bob, set to "fast", easily had the race before the first time time in the hairpin. End of first lap he had over 8 seconds on #2 with a 2'13.038.

Well, since now I know what I'm doing in regards to tuning, I created a set-up that is superior than what I originally tweaked.

This set-up is for the Renault Clio Sport V6 Phase 2. It's fully modified with the best parts, including the rollcage, without nitrous, and uses Sports Medium tires. It also gave 1'15.043 on Midfield.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome.

Suspension
-Spring Rate: 13.0 / 13.0
-Ride Height: 98 / 128
-Bound: 7 / 7
-Rebound: 8 / 8
-Camber: 2.2 / 1.6
-Toe: 0 / 0
-Stabilizers: 3 / 3

LSD
-Initial: 30
-Acceleration: 40
-Deceleration: 20

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
-ASM Oversteer: 0
-ASM Understeer: 0
-TCS: 2

Brake Controller
-Brakes: 10 / 3

Transmission
1. Slide "Final" all the way to 5.500.
2. Slide Autoset to 1.
3. Then slide "Final" to 3.280.
This is the tranny trick, and this is a good base for tuning your transmission for each track.

Ballast
-Weight: 0

© Duck7892

Duck7892

Thanks,
Duck7892

have you tried to set some ballast the the front end of your Clio?.

with high load of ballast at front end you can make those rear engined cars to feel like "FR" cars.
icon10.gif

Reikon
have you tried to set some ballast the the front end of your Clio?.

with high load of ballast at front end you can make those rear engined cars to feel like "FR" cars.
icon10.gif
If you read the whole thread, then you can see that the problem was resolved almost two months ago. I added my settings because the subject was appropriate, and didn't think I needed to make another thread for the settings.

Anyway, thanks for the effort to help, even though it's not helpful to me anymore.

Duck7892

PS. Was your advice for the settings? If they were, then thanks for the tip. However, when I tune, I don't wan't to use ballast or ASM, unless if it's absolutely neccessary (because I know I can go faster without them and tune out the oversteer/understeer effects with suspension tuning).

Duċk;1697896
Well, since now I know what I'm doing in regards to tuning, I created a set-up that is superior than what I originally tweaked.

This set-up is for the Renault Clio Sport V6 Phase 2. It's fully modified with the best parts, including the rollcage, without nitrous, and uses Sports Medium tires. It also gave 1'15.043 on Midfield.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome.

Suspension
-Spring Rate: 13.0 / 13.0
-Ride Height: 98 / 128
-Bound: 7 / 7
-Rebound: 8 / 8
-Camber: 2.2 / 1.6
-Toe: 0 / 0
-Stabilizers: 3 / 3

LSD
-Initial: 30
-Acceleration: 40
-Deceleration: 20

Downforce
Amount: 30 / 30

Driving Aids
-ASM Oversteer: 0
-ASM Understeer: 0
-TCS: 2

Brake Controller
-Brakes: 10 / 3

Transmission
1. Slide "Final" all the way to 5.500.
2. Slide Autoset to 1.
3. Then slide "Final" to 3.280.
This is the tranny trick, and this is a good base for tuning your transmission for each track.

Ballast
-Weight: 0

© Duck7892

With all due respect to Duck, as I've found his vaious car settings most helpful, I believe he made 1 typo on this Clio setup. After much testing on the Suzuka circuit I find that using these exact settings still produces a vehicle that is prone to significant oversteer. However, once I lowered the front downforce to 0 the car then handled much more neutral. This one tweak to the above values allowed me to carry upwards of 15-20 mph more speed through many of the medium radius corners. 👍

Duċk;1700786
However, when I tune, I don't wan't to use ballast or ASM, unless if it's absolutely neccessary.
Hey, Duck, I know it's a few months old (and thanks to the poster above for adding to this thread instead of starting a new one).

Did you know that you can adjust the static weight bias via the slider even if you don't add ballast to the car? I did this for my homebrew Euro Accord / TSX touring car, and it was quite effective. I don't like to do it much, since IMHO it's kind of a phreaky physics trick, but sometimes it's helpful.

Hey, Duck, I know it's a few months old (and thanks to the poster above for adding to this thread instead of starting a new one).

Did you know that you can adjust the static weight bias via the slider even if you don't add ballast to the car? I did this for my homebrew Euro Accord / TSX touring car, and it was quite effective. I don't like to do it much, since IMHO it's kind of a phreaky physics trick, but sometimes it's helpful.

1. This thread is more than a year old! Not a few months. :P

2. I knew that, but I didn't know that. I thought it didn't work, even though I've never tried it. :ouch:

Back