Renault Clio V6 24V Renault Sport Phase II [Premium] 2003

• Thread starter Neddo
  • 8 comments
RenaultClioV6.jpg
1.jpg
Renault_Clio_12-1024.jpg
2289.jpg
RENAULTClioV6-524_5.jpg

"At the time of its launch in 2003, the upgraded Phase 2 Clio V6 was the most powerful serial produced hot hatch in the world with 255 bhp (190 kW), exceeding the Alfa Romeo 147 GTA (250 PS (184 kW; 247 bhp)) and the SEAT León Cupra R (225 PS (165 kW; 222 bhp)). Based on the Phase 1 engine, its extra performance was helped with assistance from Porsche.[3]

Though based on a utilitarian hatchback, the Clio V6 is not a practical family car. With an average fuel consumption of 24 miles per imperial gallon (12 L/100 km; 20 mpg-US),[4] this resulted in an empty fuel tank in just over 300 miles (480 km). The loss of the back seats and most of the boot space, due to the engine placement, results in a severe restriction in luggage space – there is only a small space in the front where the engine used to be, suitable for a holdall or week-end groceries, a small netted area behind the seats plus a small stash area under the tailgate. The enhanced steering makes tight manoeuvring a little challenging, the turning circle is 13 m (42.7 ft) – around three car lengths – turning what might normally be a three-point turn into a five-point turn.

Standard equipment includes rain sensing windscreen wipers, automatic headlights, air conditioning, and six speakers and CD changer. The Phase 2 Clio V6 retailed for £27,125 in the United Kingdom, until it was withdrawn from sale in 2005 coinciding with a facelift for the Clio range. The long-term reviews in Evo magazine were enthusiastic, claiming "It's a modern classic" for the Phase 2 version."

Alotugh it seems unbelievable, there was one in the City where i studied the last couple of years. I came back for a bit of paperwork at University, afterwards checked the place and he/she still has it! Altough I presume only us men could be daft enough to drive such a lunatic widebody Group B spec Shopping car.

I like that Thing a lot. maybe the best looking Renault.

Nice video, I hadn't seen those race. Don't know of any recent efforts to build a mid-engined hatchback...
The Porsche Cayman is a hatchback. Also, Road & Track reported on a modded Fiat 500 a while back with a mid mounted Alfa 4C engine. And there have been kei cars with underfloor mid or rear engine layouts such as the Honda Z (which you may recognize from GT2) and Mitsubishi i, and some vans.

As demonstrated by the Clio V6, a mid engine layout in a hatchback is not really practical unless you use a fastback body like the Cayman (which also has a front trunk) or try an underfloor layout.

An ex-colleague had one of the early ones. It was basic in the interior, it was frightening to drive, especially in the wet but there's something attractive about the whole thing.

It does make you feel like a racing driver somehow which makes you forget all the other problems :-)

I did the product launch for them when I worked for Renault UK and got to drive quite a few of them (and nearly crash at least one), both road and Cup versions.

Wonderfully mad and turned heads, like driving a mini-911 the way the nose moved up and down over the road surface.

Silly amounts of fun, even if a 172 was quick point to point along a B road.

Latest Posts

Back