Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 2- The most perfect factory car?

• Thread starter Colinod
  • 24 comments
So I was out and about, with nothing other than I need something French, and fast.. on my mind for the Euro races (Hot Hatch, and the French Tour) so naturally I went to Renault and sought out the most expensive one they had.

At around 50,000 credits, I came upon this 250HP MR screamer hatch. I purchased it (In red, no less ;) without even giving thought to other Euro/French hatch manufacturers, and took it straight to the races without even so much as a tire change, as I was VERY confident in this vehicle.

As soon as I was able to finally control the car for the first time, I was blown away! It handled absolutely perfectly, with a boatload of power on tap (which is more than you could say for your typical Euro hatch) and plenty of traction out of the hole (and corners).

I finished the series coming in first consecutively (the connection between me and the car was just that awesome).

Have you ever felt this way about a Gran Turismo car?

Yes, I did. And in the same car. Because I'm European, I knew that the French MR hot hatches were fast, but oh boy. 250HP + MR + Little car = Fun.
The cool thing is, that with a little more power and good tyres, it can defeat cars with, like, 500 horsepower.

absalutely this CLio V6-P2 was the best MR-engined hot hatch...since renault R5 turbo comes out...

*i was using the Clio V6 P1 in GT2 and falls in love with it...

That's exactly how I felt with my first car...Chevy Z06. I still have it, and I used it for as much as I could until it was overused, and it's last win was at 'like the wind' ;). And yes, the Clio is a GREAT car, with the proper setup, it does things not many other cars can do...

I was more impressed with the Peugeot 205 from the used car lot. Its an amazing car if you can manage to get your hands on it. (It is only available twice during the cycle.)

The Mid engine set up w/ all wheel drive makes it quite a formatible car in both of the above mentioned events. If I remember right, I don't believe that I added anything to the car when I used it to beat both the French cup and Hot hatch event. (Its been a while, so I don't really recall.)

So I was out and about, with nothing other than I need something French, and fast.. on my mind for the Euro races (Hot Hatch, and the French Tour) so naturally I went to Renault and sought out the most expensive one they had.

At around 50,000 credits, I came upon this 250HP MR screamer hatch. I purchased it (In red, no less ;) without even giving thought to other Euro/French hatch manufacturers, and took it straight to the races without even so much as a tire change, as I was VERY confident in this vehicle.

As soon as I was able to finally control the car for the first time, I was blown away! It handled absolutely perfectly, with a boatload of power on tap (which is more than you could say for your typical Euro hatch) and plenty of traction out of the hole (and corners).

I finished the series coming in first consecutively (the connection between me and the car was just that awesome).

So you're saying no additionl parts were used? Or you just didn't change the tires? Since you did the Hot Hatch races and the French ones, this is believable, since both these races aren't really that tough. I personally would limit myself to a front-drive for both races.

That little Renault is indeed a fantastic little car!

I felt the same connection with the 120d, even though it maxes out at just under 300BHP, it can easily keep up with cars that are much more powerful, mainly due to the immense torque of the diesel.

My all time favourite, however, is the 147 GTA: it's an absolute MONSTER! Torque-steer galore, it makes any race a true challenge. But it's an Alfa...lol.

Hope everyone had a nice day (or, is having a nice day!)

This reminds me of the thread I made about the car. It's just so perfect, it's mindblowing!

I've always been a fan of the Dodge Ram. You need to sink a bit of coin into it (lightening and supercharging it), but afterwards it is so unnaturally direct for something that weighs over two tons and sits 7 feet tall. Incredibly entertaining as well, with its loves-to-drift personality and huge loads of traction.

Stock, however, I would lean towards the Chevrolet Corvette C1. Pretty decent power for its weight (especially with the torque the engine puts out), it offers great handling (and phenomenal brakes) that is only let down by its 100 MPH top speed.

Some brilliant tuned car have done this for me, like RRV's Nissan 280ZX (Red Devil Z) and MFT's Toyota MR-2 G-Limited (Mister Black).

Stock, though? Nothing comes to mind. I always find stock cars as a sort of intermediate for when I can get a really nice drive. I should try out that Renault.

that clio is awesome.....I was surprised at the awesome torque band, and responsivness in the low to mid ranges of rpm. on top of that, the power comes charging in right as torque starts to fall, and the motor pulls hard all the way in to the red zone. excellent little vehicle

So you're saying no additionl parts were used? Or you just didn't change the tires? Since you did the Hot Hatch races and the French ones, this is believable, since both these races aren't really that tough. I personally would limit myself to a front-drive for both races.

Yes I did not mod the car one bit. I already assumed the races would be easy enough. I was winning them with a 15+ second lead (Pitted up against identical cars too !)

I could say the same thing about the TVR Griffith 500. Beautiful car to drive (especially without TCS! ;)

Ive noticed that this car is pretty darn good as well.

Do you think it could be due to having the rigid refresher plan done when its bought new?. I noticed that when i bought it a while ago and went to upgrade some of the parts it was already done. And it made me wonder whether that's one of the reasons why it seems to handle pretty good?.

AngloAmerican

Yes I did not mod the car one bit. I already assumed the races would be easy enough. I was winning them with a 15+ second lead (Pitted up against identical cars too !)

That's what I thought. I managed to win these races in such cars as the Peugeot 106, Renault Avantime, and Citroen Xantia! :bowdown: No offense, but the Clio phase 2 is waaay overkill.

Last edited:
Driving pro force? LOL just jokes man.

Perfect "out of the box" cars (no driving aids, stock tires)

GT2: BMW M3 GTR Race car
Touring: Mercedes 190 Evo 2 tourer
GT1: Dodge Viper Team Oreca
LMP: BMW V12LMR (this thing owns)
Group C: Mazda 787B (very user friendly)
Oldie: Ruf BTR
New:BMW Z4 (this thing just rocks to drive. a pure drivers car)

There are better factory cars out there. I'd lean more towards a Bathurst R RX7. 217Kw stock from a 10.0km example, handles like a dream and won't bite your hand if you're learning and have TCS off.

Failing that, a Lotus Elise never goes astray for a good factory car. :) And I'm another fan of the Griffith 500, but you start frying tyres if you are not careful.

The Evo 5 is my most surprising package. A little bit understeery if you push it too hard, but you have to be driving it beyond the limit to start really doing that.

In real life, the Sport has plenty understeer. It was not unusual for even car writers were running off the road while test-driving them. You even look at them funny and they were out of control.

The Phase II had more caster and a bit wider track, to help accommodate for things like understeer.

In GT3 many players cursed the Sport, so that's when I started championing it, and I still do.

Cheers,

MasterGT

I wouldn't say it's "the best factory car", but it certainly is one of the 'funnest' cars to drive.
Although the Phase II has a fair deal of oversteer, you rarely lose control and that makes it a lot of fun to drive (at least using a logitec wheel).

I was a bit disappointed to find that the 2000 Clio Sport generally has the same physics as the Phase II. I was expecting a monster that I needed to tame when I started driving the old clio, but instead found myself not really noticing a difference between it and the Phase II... well, I'll stick to the Phase II then - looks better in my opinion.

Back