Renault (Lotus) drivers should be banned from driving anything

• Thread starter GT5_X2010
  • 12 comments
Considering that apparently many teams ban their drivers from taking part in anything else than F1 races I was bit surprised when I heard about this. :)

Well, it's not like it's something specific to Lotus drivers. Drivers from all sorts of teams end up doing this sort of stuff.

But really, you're going to tell professional racers that they can only race for essentially 60 days of the year? Just break their competitive spirit right now and go on home.

My personal opinion? No. Why should they? During the sports early seasons, it was run of the mill for drivers to compete in various events alongside Grand Prix racing (Until 1981, Formula One wasn't officially known as such). Back then of course, the risks of serious (or even fatal) injury were much greater. Although the drivers had no restrictions on where they raced. Of course, at that time the sport wasn't as corporate as it is currently. Driver restrictions nowadays comes as a result of sponsorship deals I'm sure, which personally I find frustrating. As much as I understand the reasoning, I really do wish the sport would become a little less business oriented and let the drivers compete where they please. Drivers would enjoy the freedom and us fans would surely be interested in seeing how they fare out of their comfort zone. Everybody wins. :)

Chain them to the simulator except for Christmas when they are chained to the dining room table. :)

Hakkinen almost broke his wrist in McLarens simulator when he crashed at the end for fun. How's that for force feedback lol.

Back