Renault Twingo - 5 doors and an engine in the rear

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 15 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Thought this was kind of interesting. Surprised nobody has posted it yet.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/17/renault-twingo-official-video/

Developed in parallel to Daimler's next-generation Smart, the third-generation Twingo takes its cues from the Twin'Z and Twin'Run concepts. Although Renault isn't saying what the engine is, it's mounted in the rear of a tiny five-door hatchback driving the rear wheels to make it nimble, fun to drive and free up interior space. The layout is in stark contrast to the previous two versions of the Twingo that mounted the engine up front in a three-door bodystyle, and ought to make for one heck of an entertaining RS hot hatch version.

twingo.jpg

Renault have made a better Fiat 500 revival than... uh... Fiat themselves! Hope this is a big seller so other manufacturers can follow suit with an RR layout in a supermini.

Sounds cool to me, provided that it's actually more nimble and fun to drive than a Smart ForTwo.

Renault may not be saying what the engine is but it's almost certain to be the 0.9 3-cylinder TCe used in the current Clio. Aside from anything else, pics of the car's rear have TCe badging and that's the smallest engine Renault currently makes that carries TCe badging.

@Wolfe - should be comfortably better than the Fortwo to drive. The next Fortwo is already going to be wider and have a longer wheelbase than the current model, the Twingo and next ForFour have an even longer wheelbase.

Whaaaaaat. Those damn continentals getting all these fun A-segment cars...

I like the look of this. A lot. If I were in the market for a new, small car, it would be one of these. I can't wait to see an RS version, I imagine it'll be great fun in the wet.

"The last Twingo RS was great to drive, but not a success in sales terms. It was too expensive – customers did not want to pay £15k for such a small car. An RS version wouldn't sell."

The last car wasn't a rear engined rear wheel drive car, though. It was a slightly quicker version of a fairly uninteresting hatchback. That's like saying you won't sell bottled water in the desert because bottled piss didn't sell very well last time.

Not too worried about the lack of an RS. It's got a small, turbocharged engine. Someone, somewhere, will make a fast version and disable the traction control...

Anyway, had a sit in it. Will post pics once I've got all my regular work stuff out the way. Has a fantastic interior with some great detailing and a decent feeling of quality. But it's pretty tiny inside, even for me. Fine for driver and front passenger, not so good for whoever is sitting behind them.

More pics and words here.

I welcome all small cars, no matter how much room is left for the rear. A MINI isnt true to its roots to fit four in its new tiny package. My 2003 Charade fit 5 adults at one stage(one passenger in the back was a 6'2" male who loved it and said it had the same room as his Mazda2). Considering "small" cars nowadays, aren't small compared to an original Honda CVCC and Corolla, cant wait to see it in showrooms.

Back