Repairing Fanatec Clubsport Shifter bad potentiometer

• Thread starter vicyo
  • 9 comments
Brazil
São Paulo - SP
I'm posting this guide because I could not find anything anything similar on the internet and I think that i'm not the only one who had the same issue with my CSS.

My unit had a bad potentiometer and would not work properly, as you can see in the video:

And even if Teflon tape, hot melt or a aluminium sheet in the potentiomter rod could not fix the issue, you should just replace it with a better one.

These Alps potentiometers are used in the trigger (LT and RT) mechanism from the xbox 360 controller, have the same dimensions and resistance as the one used in the CSS (Linear 10k ohms), and can be bought for less the 5USD a piece. The only difference is that they are way more precise as they rotate only 45 degrees against the 270 degree from the one used by fanatec.
dscn222734jk7.jpg

The first step is to pull the top plate from the housing by removing these 4 screws with a 3mm allen key. If your unit has the sequential mode, be careful because as there is a cable that you need to disconnect inside before pulling off the assembly.
dscn2228-copypsk6y.jpg

After pulling the shifter assembly, you need to disconnect this cable that connects the potentiometer pcb to the main pcb. Be careful as fanatec is known to be using wires with insulation that cracks, and mine had one connector that already snapped (that why it's soldered direct to the board). Now its a good time to use hot melt and make a strain relief near the connector.
dscn2239-copysak42.jpg

Use Needle-Nose Pliers or some similar tool to prevent the nut or standoff from rotating as you use a 2.5mm allen key to remove the 2 screws holding the potentiometer pcb
dscn2245qjja6.jpg

Replace the stock potentiometer to the new one and apply some teflon tape or hot melt to the new potentiometer shaft as the slot milled in the shifter axle usually is a little too big.

dscn226295k75.jpg

dscn2266objll.jpg

Now you just need to put everything back together and re-calibrate the shifter and you should be good to go :D

And if you are curious, at least in the units with the same potentiometer as mine, THERE IS NO HALL EFFECT SENSOR, just a standard carbon brush Linear 10k potentiometer, and here is proof:
dscn2271iaju7.jpg

dscn2274cnjmi.jpg

dscn2276kdkqd.jpg

dscn22807vksk.jpg

dscn2281n1j2z.jpg

dscn2284vqjl2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm posting this guide because I could not find anything anything similar on the internet and I think that i'm not the only one who had the same issue with my CSS.

My unit had a bad potentiometer and would not work properly, as you can see in the video:

And even if Teflon tape, hot melt or a aluminium sheet in the potentiomter rod could not fix the issue, you should just replace it with a better one.

These Alps potentiometers are used in the trigger (LT and RT) mechanism from the xbox 360 controller, have the same dimensions and resistance as the one used in the CSS (Linear 10k ohms), and can be bought for less the 5USD a piece. The only difference is that they are way more precise as they rotate only 45 degrees against the 270 degree from the one used by fanatec.
dscn222734jk7.jpg

The first step is to pull the top plate from the housing by removing these 4 screws with a 3mm allen key. If your unit has the sequential mode, be careful because there is a cable that you need to disconnect inside before pulling off the assembly.
dscn2228-copypsk6y.jpg

After pulling the shifter assembly, you need to disconnect this cable that connects the potentiometer pcb to the main pcb. Be careful as fanatec is known to be using wires with insulation that cracks, and mine had one connector that already snapped (that why it's soldered direct to the board). Now its a good time to use hot melt and make a strain relief near the connector.
dscn2239-copysak42.jpg

Use Needle-Nose Pliers or some similar tool to prevent the nut or standoff from rotating as you use a 2.5mm allen key to remove the 2 screws holding the potentiometer pcb
dscn2245qjja6.jpg

Replace the stock potentiometer to the new one and apply some teflon tape or hot melt to the new potentiometer shaft as the slot milled in the shifter axle usually is little too big.

dscn226295k75.jpg

dscn2266objll.jpg

Now you just need to put everything back together and re-calibrate the shifter and you should be good to go :D

And if you are curious, at least in the units with the same potentiometer as mine, THERE IS NO HALL EFFECT SENSOR, just a standard carbon brush Linear 10k potentiometer, and here is proof:
dscn2271iaju7.jpg

dscn2274cnjmi.jpg

dscn2276kdkqd.jpg

dscn22807vksk.jpg

dscn2281n1j2z.jpg

dscn2284vqjl2.jpg

Technically Thomas only stated in forums that it used hall sensors. It never said on the website that it did. Kind of a dick move, but nothing really new there. That's why you must always read the fine print.

Technically Thomas only stated in forums that it used hall sensors. It never said on the website that it did. Kind of a dick move, but nothing really new there. That's why you must always read the fine print.
Yeah, I just posted the potentiometer tear down part because people would constantly mention the POT as a hall sensor (even in Japanese and German forums), and it really made things complicated in the beginning when I was looking for a solution.

Only the CSS V1 is using potentiometers and they can cause problems. This is why we extended our warrant to 3 years for those customers and in case of an issue we replace the sensors with the hall sensors used in the current CSS V1.5

Please do not try to fix those issues by yourself and contact our support team. Even if you do not have warranty we offer an upgrade service to V1.5 for a small fee.

Please do not try to fix those issues by yourself and contact our support team. Even if you do not have warranty we offer an upgrade service to V1.5 for a small fee.
I made this guide for people who cannot rely on the official support either because shipping fees would be too high and/or live outside the countries that fanatec offers support.
Although I'm a fan of Fanatec gear, my only gripe is that I live in Brazil and I cannot even register a account in your website with accurate information, something that even people from Cuba and Venezuela can if it wasn't for their government.

Hi there - I'm having the same issue with my CSR shifter. I've pulled it apart, and one of the pots only reads full scale or zero.

Do you mind sharing the part number for the Alps potentiometers? I've checked their website and haven't found anything that matches yet.
Thanks in advance!
-Steve

Just in case anyone is trying to do this, the aftermarket XBOX 360 trigger replacements DO NOT WORK.

The no-name branded or BIOK branded replacements have a deadzone in the middle and effectively acts as just an on-off trigger (not linear variable), so it prevents the shifter from calibrating.

The photos are of the ones that DO NOT WORK. Unfortunately I cannot locate any ALPS XBOX 360 Potentiometers, so my next step is trying the following ALPS potentiometers and seeing if I can modify to fit:
RK09K1110AK4
RK09Y11L0001

Attachments

• BIOK Non-Working 1.jpg
    BIOK Non-Working 1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 12
  • BIOK Non-Working 2.jpg
    BIOK Non-Working 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Generic Non-Working 1.jpg
    Generic Non-Working 1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Generic Non-Working 2.jpg
    Generic Non-Working 2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Nice teardown. That got me sweating a lot. I just got the 1.5 shifter and was not aware that it has potentiometers. Luckily Fanatec acknowledges there are hall effect sensors in the 1.5 shifter.

But thumbs up for you troubleshooting and instructions ! 👍

Just for anyone who needs to repair this in the future. The XBOX 360 Alps are discontinued, however the following hack worked.

1. Get the BIOK XBOX 360 Trigger knockoffs. THIS WILL NOT WORK OUT OF THE BOX (these potentiometers are just on/off. If you tear them down, you will see this.
2. Get the ALPS potentiometer RK09Y11L0001. THIS WILL NOT FIT OUT OF THE BOX.

Now, you can frakenstein this together. Tear them down like the first post here. Use the face of the BIOK trigger and attach it to the ALPS potentiometer. Test the new combined potentiometer using a multimeter, and it should show a linear change as you move it.

Be sure you hot glue the new potentiometer to the shaft as described in the first post, as the opening is slightly larger then the potentiometer knob. Failing to do so will result in calibration errors and you will get mis-shifts.

I have not determined if ALPS RK09K1110AK4 is plug and play.

Last edited:
Back