Replays. Add the ability to "bookmark" interesting points in time.

GBO Possum

Not quite the oldest member. Yet.
Premium
United States
Massachusetts
GBO-Possum
Elsewhere it has been suggested that replays should be able to be more finely positioned.

This suggestion adds to that one, by proposing that it be possible to mark "pause points" with a "bookmark" so that it is possible to immediately return to that position in any future use of that replay.

I would use it to return to scenes which are either exciting in motion or offer something special for photography or both.

Examples include:-
  • Very close finishes
  • Exciting overtaking
  • Jumps
  • Air
  • Two wheels
  • Spectacular tire smoke
  • Great drifting
  • The flash of a backfire
  • etc
From here on, I'm going to describe my vision of implementation. No need to wade through this unless you really want to!

The bookmarks should be accessible from within replays.

They should also be available in an external indexed catalog of bookmarks.

This catalog should be filterable and searchable. Bookmarks should be able to be keyworded and described by the player using a user-customizable set of selectable keywords, and searchable descriptive text. For online replays the players' names should be recordable and searchable.

There should be two sets of searchable items, one at the replay level and one at the bookmark level within the replay. When defining a bookmark, if there have been previous bookmarks for this eplay, you will have the option of editing the replay-specific description and keywords. These will be accessible and identical for all bookmarks within a replay.

In this manner, if at some future date you remember a special race, you can identify the replay without even having to remember such things as the track name.

There may be a real limit to the number of bookmarks for a replay, however, for long races, this limit should be set high.

Latest Posts

Back