[Request] Dodge Charger 440

• Thread starter AYHJA
  • 27 comments
Hey guys...

Believe it or not, but I just picked up a controller and started playing GT4 for the first time this past Wednesday...Now I'm not sure when I'll stop..!

First things, I have spent the past few days reading the information on this site that I could find, and I think its great...But I haven't seen much about the 440 Charger, so I'm hoping one of the more experienced tuners will help me out here...

Basically, I want to use my Charger as much as possible, to beat as many races as possible...And while I'm not naive into thinking I can beat every race, I'm willing to learn and work my way into making the car win races it normally wouldn't be in...

Ideally, the hardest part is tuning it for sprint type races...In the muscle car championships the first and the last race are blowouts, but on that second race...Man do I catch hell...

So far, I'm using Duck's Charger setup and its working pretty good for me generally speaking, though I'm sure I'm not getting as much power out of the car for certain things like I should be...And I haven't gotten far enough in the game to get the Super Bee, which I see has lots of info for it...

What I hope to do is get some good info, and then update this post for other Charger fans...I'm actually going to be working, fixing, and hopefully driving a 1969 Dodge Charger SE R/T and am pretty excited about having it...So naturally I want to have a sexy one in the game...Thanks in advance..!

The Charger is a pretty tricky one, as are all muscle cars when going for huge amounts of power and S class tyres - the tyres just can't take all the punishment. I once built all the muscle cars fully modified on R3 tyres to see how they stack compared to each other. The 440 R/T beat the Super Bee quite comfortably as it's lighter and has a considerably more torquey engine so you don't need the Super Bee to have a quick Charger.

Then again, the tyres will indeed become a problem. I'm sure it can handle about 600 bhp on S3 tyres but it needs just about every possible modification to handle adequately in the corners, and that includes fitting the wing too. Full power will undoubtedly result in excessive wheelspin. It'll never become a true supercar but I think it can be made to go like one.

And this is when I present this good deal of mine to you. There's a link in my signature. Follow it, read the first post carefully, give one of the models a shot (for your own good, pick one that is of benefit to you so you'll get two problems out of the way at once) and tell us how you liked it. You'll have that Charger in no time, built as you wish it to be. We can't do miracles but that's about the only limitation. 👍

Well, I can take all the help I can get...I really love this car and want to drive it as much as possible...I've even put dirt and snow tires on it JUST in case I learn to drive it there as well... :D

@ Grey

M8, with all that you've done and even more what you're offering, some expert assistance, the little that I have done doesn't seem like enough...I hope I was able to give you some good feedback in that thread about one of the setups I used...If there's some other kind of information that you'd like me to include there, please believe I'll do it in a hearbeat..!

I'm now working on this, and hope to have some good results to post up...If anyone reads this that has already tuned a Charger, please do share..!

a minor typo above i noticed. a superbird is not a dodge charger, it is based on the roadrunner that ran the logo of the character of the same name "roadrunner" whom is a bird. The charger daytona is what you have confused it with, which WAS a dodge charger fitted with the same nose and massive rear wing as the superbird, the daytona though, i believe, was the only one that saw track duty.

both cars are B-body chryslers and past the sheet metal they are the same car, the glass even interchanges except in the case of the rear window.

the other differences in GT between the two can be summed up in the engine compartment, the 440 charger has the nearly forgotten 440 magnum, my father actually HAS one of these cars with the 440 and it is a BEAST. The daytona/superbird ought to have the infamous HEMI 426, which was designed for the nascar track with longevity and highspeed power being more the focus vs the brute torque of the 7+ litre 440 magnum.

now that i re read the original post it seems grey may have been referring to the superbee charger 426,, now i havent researched it myself but according to my father who grew up at the time these cars were new, and who is also a mopar expert, that car never existed as such and is a mistake within the game. upon my own search i find they DO exist, however i grew up at mopar car cruises and shows and i've never heard or seen one, so they must be VERY rare.

You're right Rockit, the 440 Magnum is what's up...I may need to call your dad when I start working on my real life SE R/T...It has the 440 power plant...I'm so excited about it, I don't know where to start...I guess the first thing I'll be working on is cosmetics, and I do need to get the back rear panel replaced first and foremost...If you or your dad know where I can maybe come up with the parts, new or used, please send me a PM...

My cousin, who actually as three Chargers, a 440, a 383, and a Superbee...Now, I'm not sure of the year of the Super Bee, but the other 2 are 1969's...I'll have to check to be certain when I go back down to start work...The 383 has been fully restored, and even it kicks ass...You may as well have belts in stock, cause you're liable to pop one every time you punch it...

But the Super Bird, or so I thought, was just a Daytona Charger with a different name...I'd honestly never heard of it before GT4...I have heard and saw the Roadrunner though, its cameo in Tokyo Drift was the best thing about the movie...

I'm trying to get far enough in the game now to get a Superbee so I can really start testing and tweaking it...If I can ever bring myself to stop racing the Muscle car races trying to get the color Super Bird I want, I will, lol...

The Super Bird is not the same car as the Daytona Charger, built to rival it but not by any means the same car. And they both raced, the Superbird gaining fame as the car 43 of Richard Petty.

The Super Bird is not the same car as the Daytona Charger, built to rival it but not by any means the same car. And they both raced, the Superbird gaining fame as the car 43 of Richard Petty.

Wrong-O grey. Petty did his stuff with a Daytona Charger.

Gotta trust the American here.

You're right Rockit, the 440 Magnum is what's up...I may need to call your dad when I start working on my real life SE R/T...It has the 440 power plant...I'm so excited about it, I don't know where to start...I guess the first thing I'll be working on is cosmetics, and I do need to get the back rear panel replaced first and foremost...If you or your dad know where I can maybe come up with the parts, new or used, please send me a PM...

My cousin, who actually as three Chargers, a 440, a 383, and a Superbee...Now, I'm not sure of the year of the Super Bee, but the other 2 are 1969's...I'll have to check to be certain when I go back down to start work...The 383 has been fully restored, and even it kicks ass...You may as well have belts in stock, cause you're liable to pop one every time you punch it...

But the Super Bird, or so I thought, was just a Daytona Charger with a different name...I'd honestly never heard of it before GT4...I have heard and saw the Roadrunner though, its cameo in Tokyo Drift was the best thing about the movie...

I'm trying to get far enough in the game now to get a Superbee so I can really start testing and tweaking it...If I can ever bring myself to stop racing the Muscle car races trying to get the color Super Bird I want, I will, lol...

And a Super Bird isn't a Charger, just like a Mercury Mountaineer isn't a Ford Explorer...It's more or less a 'same $hit, different toilet' situation...

yea i wasn't sure but there she be.

your 1 for 2 though grey, everything but the skin of a roadrunner and a charger, or a satellite or a superbee or a coronet, or a gtx, is the same. same engines, same subframes, same axles and trannies, they are all b-body mopars. by the same i mean different name same parts, plymouth was the cheap chrsyler brand back in the day with dodge being the midline and chrysler being more the luxury and pomp end of things. just like the challenger and barracuda are both E bodies that share the same glass and assorted parts. this is true up to 1970, after which my knowledge and interest in mopar ends.

Ahh, I love the smell of MOPAR in the mornings, don't you guys..? :D

At any rate, Grey, I have started to tune this car...And so far, its not looking good...I definitely need to make a few adjustments, and could use yours or anyone else's help...I started out with the Superbee thread as a foundation and pretty much used those settings...

Neither me, or my B-Spec driver could keep the car on the track, and managed only a 2'12" on Grand Valley...I kinda want her to drift a bit more, hitting on the brakes seems to deaden the car...I want her to swing her hips out a bit and power through some of those turns...I mean, its a muscle car, I don't want the handling to be too smooth, I'd rather have to develop some slick driving skills to pull off a few races...

When you get a change to tune one up and take it around the Valley, see what times you can get...

When you get a change to tune one up and take it around the Valley, see what times you can get...
I have a serious feeling that my times shouldn't be used by you to draw any conclusions. I just lapped 2'09,726 with a stock one, even the oils were factory stock. You have a PM about the car.

ugh yet another mean, useless post by Rj, if you spent as much time trading reviews as you did arguing and posting negative comments, your garage's post count would rival MFT's.

At least the guy you slammed was offering assistance to the OP.

ugh yet another mean, useless post by Rj, if you spent as much time trading reviews as you did arguing and posting negative comments, your garage's post count would rival MFT's.

Ugh, another degrading post from Dave. See where this is going?

~Kyle

Doubtful. All our friend here does is jack the power up to maximum and call it a day.

@ RJ - you have a point, but you need to re-think on how you are supposed to say that.., you probably must have hurt the guy trying to help when he read your post..,

@ Rockit - how about you tell him what he should say instead of starting an argument with him?? that would be a good idea..,

Ugh, another degrading post from Dave. See where this is going?

~Kyle

he is not degrading you, he is telling you not to speak rude.., N4HS is right, you "rarely listen to anyone", you just ignore what other people are saying to you.., try to think about what others say to you once in a while..,

Am I going to have to start policing all you tuner clubs?

Play nice, boys.

Back