Requesting: Gear Ratios Adjustment Tips

Portugal
Lisbon
Oinsert_coinO
Hey guys,

So i've created this thread to ask for some of your insight regarding gear ratios adjustment and what i should aiming for when adjusting it.

I really enjoy tuning up cars in Sim Racing games but the gear ratios were always an issue to me, never got that fine tuning right.

So yeah any advice from the community would be much appreciated 😉😁🤙👍

Last edited:
Hey guys,

So i've created this thread to ask for some of your insight regarding gear ratios adjustment and what i should aiming for when adjusting it.

I really enjoy tuning up cars in Sim Racing games but the gear ratios were always an issue to me, never got that fine tuning right.

So yeah any advice from the community would be much appreciated 😉😁🤙👍
Hi m8,

Can I help you with this ?

Attachments

• Transmission set up.xlsx
    83.8 KB · Views: 187
  • gearchart5.xls
    273.5 KB · Views: 150
Hi m8,

Can I help you with this ?
Hey mate,

Just tried to visualize your files but I don't have any app in my smartphone to properly open up that type of extension files, but i kind of manage to do so with a PDF reader app. The gear chart is supposed to be some sort of calculator where you input the gear values?

The transmission setup file you also share is just a reading file or some sort of calculator also?

Thank you

Hey mate,

Just tried to visualize your files but I don't have any app in my smartphone to properly open up that type of extension files, but i kind of manage to do so with a PDF reader app. The gear chart is supposed to be some sort of calculator where you input the gear values?

The transmission setup file you also share is just a reading file or some sort of calculator also?

Thank you
Open it on your phone or tablet with Google Spreadsheets. Or on a pc or Mac.
It calculates the gear ratio depending on the final gear

Open it on your phone or tablet with Google Spreadsheets. Or on a pc or Mac.
It calculates the gear ratio depending on the final gear
Thank you for your reply mate. I open it up with my laptop and did open perfectly with Microsoft Excel 👍. Regarding the transmission setup sheet can you walk me through it? I've seen that you only have adjustments for 5 and 7 speed transmission. Can i use the formula of the 7 speed to adjust a 6 speed one?

And for the Ratio Calculator sheet... I'm like a donkey staring at a Palace 😂. I really don't know what's am i supposed to do or what values am i suppose to change...

Last edited:

Think you are better out with this.
Let me know what you think of it
Thank you mate for that app 👍. I didn't even know such thing existed 👌😅. It's very complete but i don't think i have all the data necessary to make a precise value. I'm playing GT7 and the game doesn't give me the tyre size and the diff % values

I'm playing GT7 and the game doesn't give me the tyre size and the diff % values
Diff ratio is final gear
You could estimate tire diameter by comparing with the largest rim from GT Auto, though you could simply ignore it because it has no impact on RPM but only speed. Within the game you would ideally setup your gears to match with the track, so you dont shift at places you dont want to.

Diff ratio is final gear
You could estimate tire diameter by comparing with the largest rim from GT Auto, though you could simply ignore it because it has no impact on RPM but only speed. Within the game you would ideally setup your gears to match with the track, so you dont shift at places you dont want to.
Hey 👋
Thank you for your reply 👍
Yeah i was thinking about the same regarding the tyre size by checking the rim size but as you said it only interfere with the top end speed and/or if you want some help to make the tyres spin more or less.
Setting up the gears to match with the track is actually what i've been doing since posting this thread and it's definitely the right way to do it 👍 (and is actually easy to do and very fun 😊).

Thank you again 💪

Hey man. I ain't a pro but I do have a good easy setup I do in my cars. What you want to do is find your max power at given rpm, you can find this at the screen where you click on the car your using it will tell you the power and at what rpm, near the top left on screen. So if a car puts out 700 hp at 6500 rpm, you want to set your shift points as close to that PowerBand as possible. The hard part is, every track is different. I usually tune my gears on nurbring, and then adjust the final ratio for shorter tracks. Works pretty well for my cars.
When testing, and your pulling through corners, watch those Rpms, you will want them in that PowerBand. It makes a big difference staying that power band as much as possible. I stay about 1500 rpms lower and higher than the powerband. Anything lower and higher your losing power, you actually losing alot going over the rpm PowerBar limit, but I allways give my self some room. Just watch out, it can really change your cars tuning, grip etc. So expect to retune your cars to keep that power to the ground.

There is a great video on YouTube, type in tuning gearing gt7 there is great video explains this in detail, can't remember the guys name! But he does great work. I've never dealt with charts and tire sizes, I don't see a need to go that far in depth in tuning gears. It's not really that hard once you figure it out.

Cheers!

Hey man. I ain't a pro but I do have a good easy setup I do in my cars. What you want to do is find your max power at given rpm, you can find this at the screen where you click on the car your using it will tell you the power and at what rpm, near the top left on screen. So if a car puts out 700 hp at 6500 rpm, you want to set your shift points as close to that PowerBand as possible. The hard part is, every track is different. I usually tune my gears on nurbring, and then adjust the final ratio for shorter tracks. Works pretty well for my cars.
When testing, and your pulling through corners, watch those Rpms, you will want them in that PowerBand. It makes a big difference staying that power band as much as possible. I stay about 1500 rpms lower and higher than the powerband. Anything lower and higher your losing power, you actually losing alot going over the rpm PowerBar limit, but I allways give my self some room. Just watch out, it can really change your cars tuning, grip etc. So expect to retune your cars to keep that power to the ground.

There is a great video on YouTube, type in tuning gearing gt7 there is great video explains this in detail, can't remember the guys name! But he does great work. I've never dealt with charts and tire sizes, I don't see a need to go that far in depth in tuning gears. It's not really that hard once you figure it out.

Cheers!
Hey mate,

Thank you very much for your extensive reply and your insight about how do you tune your gears. I do remember seeing something like you have said back in GT Sport but since everyone was using BOP (balance of performance) i didn't care so much for the gearing...but now in GT7 it's a must 🙂👍.
I'll be sure to check that video out on YouTube. Every knowledge i can get regarding this matter i appreciated 👍. I know it's not the only thing that can make a difference between wining or losing the race but i'm sure it's one of the most important aspects of the race 👍

Cheers!

Back