Resident Evil Village

• Thread starter zargdin
  • 12 comments
Ireland
Dublin
benowen54@yahoo.com
Metacritic's overall score for this game is 84% and it has had lots of very positive reviews. I was a bit iffy over this game, wondering if it would continue to lead us away from traditional RE fare. RE 7 was alright, but not a real Resi game in my opinion. So has anybody out there got the latest offering or an opinion of it?

Just started last night, but only got 30 minutes into it.

From what I’ve read, if you are more into action-heavy REs, then you will like it. If you want more of an atmospheric horror like in RE7, then you will like it less.

I loved RE7, so I hope there is at least some of what made that game great (I think FPS view is one big part of it), so we’ll see. I’m playing on the hardest difficulty, so I think that alone should add some tension, even if the atmosphere isn’t the same.

Demo definitely had some of the same good vibes of RE7, in the castle portion of it, so I’m still hopeful.

Edit: Going for the hardest difficulty maybe wasn’t the best idea. I’ve died like 15 times trying to get through this early tough section. Running around like madman but eventually I get cornered and the weapons don’t do much damage. This is ****ing tough! I have found a good route for the first half of the battle but eventually I just take enough hits and run out of healing that I’m done for. Then I have to spend another 3-4 minutes doing the same dance all over again till I’m cornered. There’s gotta be a way.

Last edited:
Holding out on this one until I get a PS5 so I can get the full next gen experience..

Plus by the time I get a PS5 the game will hopefully not cost £70 too.

Can't see myself buying any games at launch with that price but still looking forward to RE8, demo was fun.

One advice for anyone getting ready to play the game - practice running. It seems like that’s the best thing you can do, and you really have to get good at it and predicting enemy range. I finally managed to get past that tough section. Probably took me 20 tries. So far, it’s gotten easier since then, but we’ll see what happens next. Right now I’m at the point where castle demo starts.

Edit: Playing some more, about 3 hours in, and I’m really liking it. Feels a lot like 7, just more action. Looks really good and sounds, using the Pulse 3D headset, are amazing.

Another thing I want to say is that Hardcore difficulty is starting to feel just right. It seemed impossible at first, but now feels like a proper survival horror.

Last edited:
I played quite a bit of this over the weekend and I love it. It has Resident Evil 4 vibes, even though RE4 was the beginning of the franchise going in a new, kinda odd direction. To be fair RE7 was also another turning point for the series and so is Village. Point I am trying to make is that it's a good game despite not really feeling like a Resident Evil. If you liked 7 then it's pretty similar with elements of 4 sprinkled in, such as treasure collecting, the merchant and the briefcase.

To be completely honest I started on the easiest difficulty, which I realize isn't the best way to play a survival horror, but I recall having issues in 7 even on normal. That said, because it's so easy, I think I am already at the end of the game! Hopefully there is a new game plus after completion.

I played quite a bit of this over the weekend and I love it. It has Resident Evil 4 vibes, even though RE4 was the beginning of the franchise going in a new, kinda odd direction. To be fair RE7 was also another turning point for the series and so is Village. Point I am trying to make is that it's a good game despite not really feeling like a Resident Evil. If you liked 7 then it's pretty similar with elements of 4 sprinkled in, such as treasure collecting, the merchant and the briefcase.

To be completely honest I started on the easiest difficulty, which I realize isn't the best way to play a survival horror, but I recall having issues in 7 even on normal. That said, because it's so easy, I think I am already at the end of the game! Hopefully there is a new game plus after completion.
There is, which also unlocks the highest tier of difficulty. Looks like Standard of 7 is Hardcore of 8, as far as difficulty is concerned. I’m constantly out of ammo, just barely enough ammo to get through the boss fights. I got cash, but Duke doesn’t have any supplies left! I’m ready to throw money at him and he won’t take it. Hope he’s got some more stock soon or I’m going to have to be relying on my knife a lot, which is not a good idea.

I played a bit of the demo last night and I liked it - didn't manage to find a way out of the village though. I was then minded to have another go at RE7, which I only played once, just after its release. And again I must say I am enjoying it. I think the Baker family are a bit overdone, and there is too much OTT traumatic action in the first part of the game, but it does have, despite what I originally said, a lot of the traditional elements of the Resi series - unlocking and exploring rooms for loot, finding keys, manual saving and the all important item box. That and the very claustrophobic creepy atmosphere. So if the latest offering has more of the same, then I'm in. Probably may wait for a price drop. RE7 keeping me occupied for the time being.

If you liked 7 then it's pretty similar with elements of 4 sprinkled in, such as treasure collecting, the merchant and the briefcase.

Yeah, I'm playing RE7 on easy - which isn't that easy. I notice you mention that the RE4 system of a briefcase and merchant has returned, which I suppose means that there isn't an item box, which I would prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm playing RE7 on easy - which isn't that easy. I notice you mention that the RE4 system of a briefcase and merchant has returned, which I suppose means that there isn't an item box, which I would prefer.
Understandable to prefer an item box, but the briefcase is large enough so that you wouldn't have to manage items so much. Then again, I suppose that is why it's not as preferable as the item box in a survival horror game where the player is meant to manage which items they need to take with them...

Anyways, I completed the game last night. I don't feel that it was a short game, but playing on easy certainly made it quicker to complete . I wish I spent more time item collecting and whatnot, but before I knew it I was locked into the final sequences. Started a new game plus, however, on normal difficulty.

Ending was surprising to me. One, that Ethan was "dead" the whole time or something like that? Fuzzy on the details on how that works. Two, it is interesting to see it's the end of Ethan's story and the after credits scene suggests his daughter Rose will carry on the story from here. The game suggested, too, that Rose has "powers" so maybe they will expand on that in a future title. Sounds interesting, but would be a large departure from the series if the player can use some sort of powers rather than just guns and knives.

While I liked Ethan, the faceless thing was a little odd, so it's hard to say he will go down in Resident Evil's memorable character history along with Chris, Leon, Claire, Ada, etc or not.

Exciting to see where things go from here.

Last edited:
Where am I?
In the VILLage
What do you want?
Information.
You won't get it!
By hook or by crook we will.
Who are you?
I am the new number 2...

I’ve been watching a bit Dr Disrespect’s playthrough and it looks really good. I haven’t played an RE game since Nemesis a very long time ago, but I may give this shot.

I also have Biohazard from ps plus but I have not got around to playing it yet.

I’ve been watching a bit Dr Disrespect’s playthrough and it looks really good. I haven’t played an RE game since Nemesis a very long time ago, but I may give this shot.

I also have Biohazard from ps plus but I have not got around to playing it yet.

Im enjoying RE8 so far, getting closer to the end, but Biohazard is a better game for me. This is purely based on my preference of the atmosphere of RE7, it was spooky as hell, especially played at night. RE8 is at times scary, but it’s mostly just very tense due to lack of ammo on Hardcore difficulty. I think playing on standard I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it that much. I highly recommend playing Biohazard. I was never RE fan before, but this game really ticked all the right boxes for me.

Back