Rest in Peace Neil Peart

United States
Seattle, WA
rush-1.jpg

Neil Peart, perhaps the greatest Rock drummer of all time, just passed away. Neil is survived by his wife and 10 year old daughter. His contributions to the art of drumming will likely never be matched. Neil was a modern day virtuoso, like Paganini before him, many of his toughest compositions likely can only be played by a handful of the drummers in the world with the same proficiency.

In addition to his rhythmic contributions to Rush, Neil was also the primary lyricist of the band. The body of his written work is a exemplary in it's own right as evidenced by the sheer quality of the lyrics he wrote, Neil was a well-read, deeply philosophical person and those qualities were reflected in the songs he wrote.

The world lost one of it's best musicians today, Rest in Peace Neil Peart, you will be greatly missed.

I value his lyrics just as much (if not more) than his amazing drumming. The view of an introvert expressed with calculated grace, something I truly admire; the anti-thesis to the image of rock musicians being boneheads with only a basic grasp of musicality. Rest in Peace, Neil Peart; a true artist.

I met him a number of years ago. It was a chance thing...I pulled up to a pump at a gas station and he had his bike on the other side of the same island, by the other pump body. His helmet was off; I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

I avoided the gushing greeting and instead said, "You're Neil Peart, right? I'm a huge fan."

He held up a gloved hand with a sort of lazy peace sign sort of deal, smiled, and said, "Have a nice day."

I went into the convenience store and he was gone when I came back out.

It made my week.

A little something for those like me could use a laugh.

And do have a scroll through the comments, as there are some gems. Here's a sample:

20200110_143411.png

Just found out about this through Foo Fighters' Instagram post as they are huge fans of Rush. Goddamn.

RIP Neil.

Heard about this, this morning. Gutted. Rush played a big part in my audio life growing up as my dad is a fan and played their records and CDs all the time. Also... language warning.

Last edited:
Back