Retro Game Console??

• Thread starter mjm23race
  • 7 comments
It’s not legit, these things have been around for ages in some form or another, the only thing that changes is the case it comes in and the games it (poorly) includes. Most of the games are also just bad emulations, bad clones (often times of other poorly done games included on the console) or just plain don’t work.

Last edited:
It looks pretty bad. It is just some pre-loaded machine in a SNES Raspberry Pi case. I don't think it can play anything 3D.

I think you are better off just buying a machine specifically for the games you want to play.

These are technically not scams, they do as advertised. They're simply Android boxes that run the equivalent of a RetroPie with a bunch of ROMs downloaded from the web. Don't expect the more power-hungry games to work or run smooth though.

If you want a decent retro-console you're usually better off getting a RaspBerry Pi 3 or 4. E.g. GT1 or 2 will run great on those (I know because I did :D). You'll still need a case and a controller, power supply and an HDMI cable though.

I see this particular item being sold for about 20 on AliExpress. Which is probably where this seller is getting them (dropshipping).

Last edited:
These are technically not scams, they do as advertised. They're simply Android boxes that run the equivalent of a RetroPie with a bunch of ROMs downloaded from the web. Don't expect the more power-hungry games to work or run smooth though.

If you want a decent retro-console you're usually better off getting a RaspBerry Pi 3 or 4. E.g. GT1 or 2 will run great on those (I know because I did :D). You'll still need a case and a controller, power supply and an HDMI cable though.

I see this particular item being sold for about 20 on AliExpress. Which is probably where this seller is getting them (dropshipping).
Thanks for the info. For the price point I figured if they were any amount of decent it might be a good option. Figured I could get in it cheaper than a pi with less work on my end downloading all the games and stuff. But it sounds like the pi might be a better way to go. Can I ask questions about downloading pi stuff here or is that frowned upon?

Thanks for the info. For the price point I figured if they were any amount of decent it might be a good option. Figured I could get in it cheaper than a pi with less work on my end downloading all the games and stuff. But it sounds like the pi might be a better way to go. Can I ask questions about downloading pi stuff here or is that frowned upon?
If it's illegal then it's against the acceptable use policy. There's a link to the policy on the bottom of the page.

Can I ask questions about downloading pi stuff here or is that frowned upon?
Definitely not the ROMs part. How to install a Raspberry Pi and what OS to install and how to get that working and how to set up accessories is fine I guess.

If you are just wanting to emulate up to PS1, I would recommend a small android tablet with decent specs (like an Amazon Fire HD 8) over a Pi.

The setup is much easier, there are more emulation options and I think it looks better too. PS1 doesn't look good on big modern TVs.

Last edited:
Back