Returning to GT1 after a long time

• Thread starter matherto
  • 15 comments
matherto
So I set up the PS1 for extra nostalgia and whacked my GT1 disc in. Instantly the traditional startup:

Made me feel like a kid again. Then the GT1 intro (PAL version so Manic Street Preachers & Chemical Brothers) starts and I've got a huge smile on my face.

Turns out this long lost memory card has a save from when I get all gold on the licences and has all the LM prize cars too (excellent). Just trying a few spot races to get used to the game again and it all clicks into place, must've been nigh on four years since I'd played this even a little bit.

The graphics are fantastic given it's a 17 year old game. Love the vibrancy of the colours, the HUD, the track design and the sheer style of it.

The handling is wild compared to later games, very twitchy and you slide everywhere even if you make an attempt not to but they key thing with this is it's actually fun. God GT4/5/6 are dull compared to GT1.

The AI are mental. Obviously for the most part they're on rails and they'll bump into you like you're not there but if you've cleared off sometimes you'll spot a car that isn't moving on the map. Once you go back into the replays you'll see all sorts. On SSR5 where the track splits to go downhill through the chicane to the hairpin, the AI had crashed into each other sending two cars flying into the air (**** physics) and then they'd got trapped by the wall blocking off Clubman Route 5.

I've spent ages battering everyone with the FTO LM Edition trying to win the alternate colours to the cars I have. Might start RM'ing the cars that I know have real life racing versions and then make a thread to compare the liveries. Would have to make do with iPhone camera shots though which would make it less good I imagine.

The soundtrack is still relevant to my interests. GT1 introduced me to Feeder and now I've got all their albums, all the extra unreleased songs and I've seen them live twice. Still love them and hopefully they'll still be going strong once GT7 comes out (though Grant is currently doing solo stuff).

All in all though, what a bloody game. The staple of my childhood and I still love it all this time later. I think sometimes PD need to play the original (and best IMO) and realise what made it so special before they attempt GT7. Times have changed massively but I bet if you introduced people to the original now after playing GT6, Forza 5, etc they'd have an absolute riot.

So I set up the PS1 for extra nostalgia and whacked my GT1 disc in.
I played GT1 on the PS2 a little bit this morning for the first time since 99-00. :eek:
I didn't whack my disc in like you did but rather placed it there gently on the tray.
It's funny how it all comes back so quickly, from the separate dealership menu music to the licences to the game physics.
Ever since GT1 I've always had a soft spot for the Demio simply because that is the car that started it all in the very first licence test.

I purchased a Supra and went to Deep Forest and managed to qualify dead last, work my way up to the lead, get overtaken with one lap
to go but manage to steal the lead back and win the race. I don't think I will continue playing it anymore though. Once is enough.

Fun to revisit an old game like that.

Hearing that very intro just sent chills up my spine. Of all the PS1 games I still have, this one here is one of the most played games. In fact, I This gets more use than half of my PS3 games. I'd love it if this game (by the miracle chance it does) appeared on the PlayStation Store. If that happened, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Although right now, most of my time is spent raging because I cannot seem to gold the B licenses- specifically B-3.

God GT4/5/6 are dull compared to GT1.

I must agree with that. The only downside of GT1 is that its really short game. Unless you try all gold licences (which can take some time).

Who else wants to own a Mazda Demio from B-1 licence?

On the ''slide'' note, somewhere on GTPlanet i read that Japanese version has better handling model. Dont know if its truth or not.

EDIT This should be my 1 000 th post on GTPlanet

Last edited:
The soundtrack (menu and race), the feel and atmosphere still haven't been touched by later GT's. And with PD moving ever further towards awful elevator jazz and cold 'app' style menus I don't think we will ever get that great atmosphere again.

GT3 was the last of the "old GTs" in my opinion. They were still incredibly realistic for their day but they had charm, and they felt like games, which the later GTs haven't managed to do. They're more soulless simulators at this point. I want surprises, and challenges, and having to work for stuff. I want to be rewarded with cars I didn't even know were in the game. Now they're just lacking that enthusiasm.

GT3 was the last of the "old GTs" in my opinion. They were still incredibly realistic for their day but they had charm, and they felt like games, which the later GTs haven't managed to do. They're more soulless simulators at this point. I want surprises, and challenges, and having to work for stuff. I want to be rewarded with cars I didn't even know were in the game. Now they're just lacking that enthusiasm.

Well said. The problem was the years and the bazillion people asking for GT4 to be online. Now, GT is just for racing online, thats it. No depth, or surprises and challenges.

Jerome

So good to be able to come back to it any time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 83
Found my old GT and GT2 discs a couple of days ago. Ran GT a short session yesterday (bought one car and did one race). It was pretty exciting, but the handling model was really weird :lol:

Also, I didn't remember that Autumn Ring originally was modelled with a center line!

I finally got around to replaying this game for the first time in almost 4 years after finding a dusty old copy while cleaning up my room. Ended up starting a new file on an empty memory card and played for nearly 3 hours, somehow golding my B License, amassing nearly 200,000 Cr. and getting the Dodge Concept Car LM on my first attempt.

After getting burned out on the later titles, I'm still impressed that I can pop this game in and have fun playing it like I had nearly 15 years ago.

Got a PlayStation today and played GT again for the first time this century. It's one hell of a trip down memory lane. :P

Back