Reverse and 1st gear. Forgotten physics.

United States
United States
If has been discussed, why is this critical issue not fixed yet?

My point: You, I, and every other racer know dang well how a real car drives and what it can do. So, can someone please explain to me why I cannot do a "reverse 180" and go? Reverse is a joke like they forgot how reverse drives and what you can do. It's "ice" until like 20-30 mph and takes way to long to even engage. Same goes for 1st gear after a wipeout. Absolutely unrealistic and a major missing aspect of a "Real Driving Simulator". Never had any issue with GT until this installment. Bad enough the sand and grass is confused with the physics of liquid cement. Lets get "Really Real"

Last edited:
IRL you cant just reverse 180 and go . You have to come to a near complete stop before you shift into 1st from reverse. Otherwise it will grind.

Also, the first gear of a race car is like the 3rd gear of your normal vehicle. Try starting your manual car in 3rd gear from reverse and see how well that goes for you.

Edit: I wasnt thinking about 180 resulting in forward movement, that should work, nvm

Im not saying third, or asking for magic. But should not take 10 sec to engage and you also know what I ment. No need for a million posts. I just want it fixed.

Im not saying third, or asking for magic. But should not take 10 sec to engage and you also know what I ment. No need for a million posts. I just want it fixed.

i know what your saying, but thats not a problem for me if i turn traction control off. I found i get better results if i brake completely and then ease on the gas

im not really sure that it does though. when i spin out on track and recover so that im facing forward i never have a problem continuing at speed. If im facing backwards then i have to stop and turn around before taking off again. If im in the dirt then im stuck and get no traction thats why it takes forever.

let me get this straight, you want to be able to go 0-100 in 4 sec from the dirt back on to the track?

The main reason for the 'unrealistic' reverse gear is that when the car is in reverse traction control is on like 11. And you can't turn it off

@Stotty agreed, very low on the list... but, feathering in throttle from a stop is ludicrous... rev's spiking and going nowhere... it's like massive clutch slip... but if you floor it, the clutch will grab, then you can drive off... so odd.
I'm used to it now, so, don't care if it gets fixed... but hard to deny that it's wrong.

IRL you cant just reverse 180 and go . You have to come to a near complete stop before you shift into 1st from reverse. Otherwise it will grind.

Also, the first gear of a race car is like the 3rd gear of your normal vehicle. Try starting your manual car in 3rd gear from reverse and see how well that goes for you.

Edit: I wasnt thinking about 180 resulting in forward movement, that should work, nvm
The "edit" is exactly what I ment :-)
@Stotty agreed, very low on the list... but, feathering in throttle from a stop is ludicrous... rev's spiking and going nowhere... it's like massive clutch slip... but if you floor it, the clutch will grab, then you can drive off... so odd.
I'm used to it now, so, don't care if it gets fixed... but hard to deny that it's wrong.
Agree on low on list.... But the rev feathering is my other issue I was meaning. It just makes me so mad when I am having a good race, wipe out, and can't continue without losing massive time because of these. Absurd.

Back