Reverse Driving Tune

• Thread starter tori
  • 12 comments
United States
United States
So... I reverse drift. But lately with the new update the servers are getting really bad, so I haven't been into drifting too much because I much prefer drifting with several people rather than by myself. But what I've been doing is going into single player and doing time trials on various tracks with various cars. And that got me thinking... I can reverse drift pretty well, but what about regular reverse driving around a track? And I'm not talking about 20MPH, I'm talking 100, 150+ even. What would it be like to race around a track in reverse? I'd need some help putting together a tune... Well, finding a car in general, to do this. So does anyone have any ideas? I'm sure I can do the gearing, that's fairly simple. But what about suspension? And LSD? I keep getting ahead of myself, should I choose AWD? RWD? FWD? Some help with this stuff would be awesome. Thanks in advance to anyone who'd be willing to help. :D

I'm not a drifter by any means but n theory, you will want a very low front ride height and a higher rear. A stiff front suspension, and a very loose rear for grip. A 50/50 torque split, very high front lsd and very low rear. Should look something like this....

AWD or FWD Vehicle

Suspension
Ride height 20%/80%
Springs 20%/80%
Dampers xx/xx
ARBs 7/1
Camber 5.0/1.0 (0.0/0.0 for race)
Toe 50/-50

LSD
Front 60/60/20
Rear 5/5/20

Torque split 50/50 (for AWD)

All numbers or percentages given are only guesstimates as I have never actually tried this. I do know, however that trying to drive a car that is designed to incorperate oversteer in reverse gear is incredibly hard. Hence the (in theory) massive understeer needed to operate backwards. Any car will act differently from the next in reverse. I'm not sure if PD modeled behavior in reverse, but it sure sounds fun!
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I'm not a drifter by any means but n theory, you will want a very low front ride height and a higher rear. A stiff front suspension, and a very loose rear for grip. A 50/50 torque split, very high front lsd and very low rear. Should look something like this....

AWD or FWD Vehicle

Suspension
Ride height 20%/80%
Springs 80%/20%
Dampers xx/xx
ARBs 7/1
Camber 5.0/1.0 (0.0/0.0 for race)
Toe 50/-50

LSD
Front 60/60/20
Rear 5/5/20

Torque split 50/50 (for AWD)

All numbers or percentages given are only guesstimates as I have never actually tried this. I do know, however that trying to drive a car that is designed to incorperate oversteer in reverse gear is incredibly hard. Hence the (in theory) massive understeer needed to operate backwards. Any car will act differently from the next in reverse. I'm not sure if PD modeled behavior in reverse, but it sure sounds fun!
Hope this helps
I'm going to try these but wouldn't this cause massive oversteer going backwards?

I'm going to try these but wouldn't this cause massive oversteer going backwards?
I worded it right but inverted the spring rate. I fixed the post. I've not tried this yet, but the logic suggests massive understeer forwards and oversteer in reverse. I'd be curious to your results of you test it

Edited spelling errors

Last edited:
Assuming PD programming model operates backwards from forward driving, simply flipping a tune "should" provide desired handling. A few minor tweaks would be needed as FR/MR cars would suffering the same issue as FF does if traction loss under acceleration, and a FF car is going to over load the rears. But tuning for understeer under normal operation may provide enough delay in response to allow it to done.
As for speed, that's going to be an issue. Most cars are capped at around 70-100 mph in reverse IRL so I don't know if the reverse gear can be changed in game. I do know from reading that 2J can do 150mph reverse at least it did in GT5.

Assuming PD programming model operates backwards from forward driving, simply flipping a tune "should" provide desired handling. A few minor tweaks would be needed as FR/MR cars would suffering the same issue as FF does if traction loss under acceleration, and a FF car is going to over load the rears. But tuning for understeer under normal operation may provide enough delay in response to allow it to done.
As for speed, that's going to be an issue. Most cars are capped at around 70-100 mph in reverse IRL so I don't know if the reverse gear can be changed in game. I do know from reading that 2J can do 150mph reverse at least it did in GT5.
Creating understeer for reverse is what I'm finding to be working best. Also, most cars are capped at 120 MPH. The 2J is capable of 300 in reverse if you can get it going and keep it straight. The gearing requires a transmission flip... Sort of... Final gear right, max speed right, then final gear left until you reach desired speed in reverse. It's really easy.

Creating understeer for reverse is what I'm finding to be working best. Also, most cars are capped at 120 MPH. The 2J is capable of 300 in reverse if you can get it going and keep it straight. The gearing requires a transmission flip... Sort of... Final gear right, max speed right, then final gear left until you reach desired speed in reverse. It's really easy.
Sounds like the transmission flip is the standard flip for top speed sets. maybe a tad bit higher on the top speed than forward. You might try setting the gears to the far right. I dunno if it will have any effect for reverse gear but worth a shot.

Sounds like the transmission flip is the standard flip for top speed sets. maybe a tad bit higher on the top speed than forward. You might try setting the gears to the far right. I dunno if it will have any effect for reverse gear but worth a shot.
It's not the gearing I'm having trouble with. I've already perfected the gearing since I already have experience with it in reverse drifting. It's just the suspension that's getting to me.

It's not the gearing I'm having trouble with. I've already perfected the gearing since I already have experience with it in reverse drifting. It's just the suspension that's getting to me.
I gotcha, well take a normal oversteer tune and try it see what happens, check TT seasonal threads to get some. I have a wicked fast 2J but forward it over steers like a mad man on greased shoes. So in theory reverse it would understeer.

Flipping a tune around isn't going to help, thats not how physics works.

What exactly is the problem you're having? Please describe the scenario in detail

If its oversteer then thats kind of unavoidable as anyone who's ever driven a forklift will tell you, steering from the rear only works for boats

Flipping a tune around isn't going to help, thats not how physics works.

What exactly is the problem you're having? Please describe the scenario in detail

If its oversteer then thats kind of unavoidable as anyone who's ever driven a forklift will tell you, steering from the rear only works for boats
Your driving in reverse. What do you want the car to do? It will not handle as if its going forward. Weight transfer,inertia, come into play.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I was away for a few days. My new PS4 is keeping me from being bored (which is the reason this was created.) And yes @DolHaus, I know it doesn't work very well but it's entertaining and quite interesting to watch. I figured I could do it drifting so... Yeah. Anyways, I'm about to pass out for the night. Or... Morning... So I'll answer anything you guys come up with while I'm away after I rest and get back home.

Sorry guys, I was away for a few days. My new PS4 is keeping me from being bored (which is the reason this was created.) And yes @DolHaus, I know it doesn't work very well but it's entertaining and quite interesting to watch. I figured I could do it drifting so... Yeah. Anyways, I'm about to pass out for the night. Or... Morning... So I'll answer anything you guys come up with while I'm away after I rest and get back home.
I'm sure its fun but there isn't a lot you can do mechanically to overcome the rear wheel steering. There might be a few things but it depends on what car you're attempting to drive, a 4wd would probably work best as you can use the LSD to resist some of the inherent oversteer tendencies. Suspension tuning won't do much to help unless you're having problems with traction/body roll

Back