Reviews!

• Thread starter Luminis
  • 25 comments
These reviews are up early. WRC3 is released today and there's very little about it.

I guess PG/T10/MS were pretty confident in their game. Lots of developers and publisher seemingly tend to not lift the information embargo until the game's on sale already.

Seems nobody's afraid about us getting some info on FH. A good sign, in my opinion. And a fair move, as well. A rare one these days, too.

Indeed. It's swinging my interest level back up to pre-demo time; IGN's read well. I'd still like to know more about the online modes (frankly, given the genre of the game, we should have a cruising mode) and any potential improvements to Photomode.

Nevermind, Giant Bomb covers online modes - excellent. Photomode, I'm still waiting...

Yeah, the IGN review was a great read, but my favourite review was probably the one by Destructoid. Then again, I do like that site and tend to agree with most of their reviews.

Gotta say, these reviews are getting me excited, too. Dunno how I'm supposed to endure until the 26th...

Hey guys, thought I'd post in here as I'm sure many have questions about the final game. A friend of mine was getting his tires changed, went across the street to the Meijer and guess what they had sitting in the XBOX display? This was last Friday and he bought me a copy as well and I started playing Saturday and have put in about 5 hours so far. My copy is a final retail copy, completely legitimately purchased, my guess is some employee failed to read the box and just put them out on display with all the other games.

The Good: It's a fun game to play, driving around is really nice, everything is very good looking and at least I don't notice the FPS drop. The physics are really good, very close to FM4s, except it seems that something has been changed in the steering that allows you to fly around corners (I'll get to this later). The changes of scenery are really well done and the night/day cycle is as well.

The Bad: I have a lot of complaints with this game to be honest, but for the most part they are small and in no way do they ruin the game completely, it's just that they could have made it so much better (in my eyes). The day/night cycle is way too short, it takes about a minute to go from dusk to dark. Daylight stays around quite a bit, but I felt TDU2s 2.5 hour cycle was much better. The handling like I said earlier is good, but the entire game is made for you to really speed through. You can easily take corners doing triple digits and not toss the rear out or understeer (as you would in FM4), I'm not sure the correct term, but that's what the physics are like. The game isn't much fun driving as slower speeds, it feels like you're just crawling along even at 45-60mph. I loved doing realistic cruises on TDU with stopping at lights etc and keeping the speeding to a minimum, it's just not going to happen here, it gets boring real quick and you end up just smashing the throttle.

This driving quick leads me to the next problem, when you are doing 100mph the map is really really small, it seems like you get where you want way before you think you will. Much of the roads are contained in small areas so it seems like you are driving the same 5-7 roads all the time. The carlist is not great either, they seems to have done what TDU did and just include the best of the best of a specific marque (Aston for example with just the One-77 and Zagato).

My one major disappointment is that I don't have the urge to play the game, at least not as I did on other titles. When FM3 and FM4 came out I bought both at midnight and played straight through to the next night, the same with TDU2, even though it really sucked. Maybe it's because I hadn't yet really looked into the game and gotten excited about it and it just fell into my lap, but whatever it is I just don't have that "OMG I MUST GET HOME TO PLAY!!!" feeling I have had in the past.

I would post some images, but I'm not sure where to get them, none have showed up under "My Forza", but I didn't really expect them to either.

I'm sure you guys have questions about the game so just let me know I'll do my best to answer them. Also, I'm about 20% through the game in case you were wondering.

Physics wise, I wasn't expecting FM4 here, so I am not surprised, however after playing the demo, I didn't hate it, I think they found a good balance, definitely leaning a bit more towards sim then arcade.

The day/night cycle was what was worrying me after what I read a while back, seemed like it was gonna be way to quick, and it seems it is.

The car selection, while good, could've been so much better. I hate that they included the F40 Comp. and the F50 GT when they have BOTH street versions in game! So dumb and a waste of 2 slots. Along with the F1 GT instead of the street model F1.

Nonetheless, I am still looking forward to this because, all in all, this is the type of game I have been dreaming about since 2005.

Edit: I am also assuming that there are no horns, turn signals, and no option to keep headlights on?

Physics wise, I wasn't expecting FM4 here, so I am not surprised, however after playing the demo, I didn't hate it, I think they found a good balance, definitely leaning a bit more towards sim then arcade.

The day/night cycle was what was worrying me after what I read a while back, seemed like it was gonna be way to quick, and it seems it is.

The car selection, while good, could've been so much better. I hate that they included the F40 Comp. and the F50 GT when they have BOTH street versions in game! So dumb and a waste of 2 slots. Along with the F1 GT instead of the street model F1.

Nonetheless, I am still looking forward to this because, all in all, this is the type of game I have been dreaming about since 2005.

Edit: I am also assuming that there are no horns, turn signals, and no option to keep headlights on?

Nope, nothing that I could find in the options. You can however change the deadzone on all axis', but only deadzone, no sensitivity or damping etc.

ISR review is great. They seem very happy with the game which is indicative of it being pretty good. Was surprised they liked it so much actually, thought it might have blurred the line too much for them.

Having played the demo I can't wait to get into the full game, handling seems pretty spot on for the type of game and leaves little to be desired for me. Car list is extensive for a game of this type, especially considering all cars are customisable and we know it will be expanded by DLC in the future. Considering we could end up with 250+ cars after DLC I can see myself being in this deep until FM5 comes out.

The car list has really dented my enthusiasm for the game. So many cool, car culture style cars in FM4, ones that didn't make much sense on track, yet we get about three quirky cars in the whole roster. What a wasted opportunity.

Wondering why there are any track cars at all, when there are so many cool street cars, but hey.

Giant Bomb hit the Big Shot button by mistake at the end and made us all sit through three minutes of loading screen, lol.

Back