Ricmotech vs Fanatec Load Cell

• Thread starter Oshawa-Joe
  • 10 comments
Canada
Hillsdale
Oshawa-Joe
Wasn't sure how to best name this thread. Im thinking of upgrading from T3PA-PRO pedals with Ricmotec load cell to Clubsport V3. Basical looking for peoples experiences in using load cells, how the pedal feels through the (limited) range of travel, and what actual braking % is actuated during the range of travel.

I don't want to get into a debate over potentiometer vs load cell. Just want to discuss how a Fanatec Clubsport V3 load cell brake feels and how it performs during the various stages of brake travel.

1) initial softer stage as the pedal is compressing the bushings/spring/foam.
Are you seeing any brake power being applied? If so what % of total? Is it easy to modulate and control, both getting into and out of braking?

2) once you are fully on to the load cell and it feels like a rock. What % of braking power is being applied? Once again, how easy is it to modulate and control through the range, both getting into and out of braking?

I can share my experience with the Ricmotech load cell mod for the T3PA-PRO pedal set. I can start by saying that I was hooked with using a load cell after a few laps and I'll never willingly go back to non load cell brakes. However , there was definitely a learning curve. Too many years of using DF Pro/ G27/T3PA/ T3PA-PRO pedals really programs you to do things a certain way.

I had no trouble using a load cell after a few laps. My lap times started dropping almost within a day or 2. But I had a hell of a time driving when tired. I would revert instinctively to braking by pedal throw vs pressue. It took a good 3 or 4 weeks before I can say I had reprogrammed myself to instinctively use pressure consistently.

Back to the point. Using my current set up, there is a small amount of travel, approx 1 inch, where the initial spring is compressing. This stage has no effect at all on brake pressure, and I'm aware that many brake systems work this way. Once everything is compressed, pressure is now being applied to the load cell and it's like hitting a rock. Again, I'm aware race car brakes may be like this and require 100-200lbs of force.

Would like to hear about the Clubsport V3s, and others.

Last edited:
Fanatec's load cell brakes are pretty customisable. You can adjust the travel of the pedal and the load cell gain independently so you can customize the brake feeling like you want it. At least with the newer pedals, Clubsport V3 and CSL Elite lc, not sure about the older ones.

Its interesting not having any opinions shared on how different load cell brake pedals perform. I've decided to pick up the CSL Elite with Load Cell brake.

After I test it out for a week I'll share my opinion on how they compare to the Ricmotech load cell and the BBJ conical brake mods.

I think the lack of opinions is because a lot of people never tried both Load Cell solutions. Your take on them is going to be somewhat unique, because only major YouTube sim racing reviewers have used both. I'm very interested in what you have to say once you're finished with your tests.

I like the CSL elite for its toolless design. With the V3 you will need to disassemble the brake to customize the elastomer (if you have the kit). With the provided elastomers its almost impossible to not get the LC pressure to you liking. Personally I like the foam as a "deadzone" and use 2x 65, 3x85.

Before I had the standard T3PA with LC mod, which had very little travel. I therefore switched to Fanatec LC pedals.

Last edited:
I've now used the CSL Elite Load Cell pedal set for a few weeks and have to say its exactly what I was looking for. .

Some additional thoughts on my experience trying all 5 pedal sets.

Stock RS 2 pedal set.
Don't waste any time using. Very cheap build, no progression, no feel. My original set broke after 3 weeks. The gear on the accelerator POT wouldn't properly mesh with the pedal gear. The brake spring came loose.

T3PA pedals.
The minimum standard for pedals to be used with the T300. Gets the job done well. Cheap build with plastic pedal arms. It bothered me that the pedals wobbled a bit side to side and would quickly develop squeaks. I never felt quite right using them.

Stock T3PA Pro pedals.
Built like a tank. I don't see anything braking. Ever.
You can fine tune the conical brake mod placement to your liking. The brake spring itself is heavier compared to the regular T3PA brake. Have it engage early for less travel, more progression and trail braking. Or set it up further out for more travel to mostly control threshold braking. Many use this set very effectively.

T3PA PRO pedals with BBJ yellow conical brake mod.
Far less brake pedal travel than I liked. I found them very effective and beat my previous times in School and Mission events in GTSport. In the end I found that it required a lot of energy to complete laps and the progressive feel I wanted in trail braking wasn't there for me. I found it difficult to hit 20-30% braking and it required A LOT of effort to hit 100%. Required a high level of concentration to complete laps.

T3PA pro pedals with Ricmotec load cell.
Great mod. Used it to easily beat my previous School and Mission times. Much easier to modulate brake pressure accurately and trail brake. Much easier to trail brake. Requires less energy to complete laps compared to the yellow mod. It does have a bit of initial pedal travel but there a bit of a dead zone followed by what feels like stepping on a rock and then it's all about the pressure to brake. I really liked it but wasn't 100% satisfied.

The overall feel is very close to the CSL Elite LC pedals using the hardest bushings, but with just a little less travel and slightly less progression.

Fanatec CSL Elite Load Cell pedals.
Simply wow. It has everything I was looking for. With a mix of the hardest and medium bushings, it offers a lot more travel,

it's easy to modulate and trail brake, doesn't require a lot of energy to complete laps, easy to hit 100% brake power, and has the best progressive feel out of the set ups I've tried.

Brake pressure increases progressively from the moment I step on the brake, through the full range of travel, based on pressure used. The combination of pressure and a little bit of travel made it easier to control and modulate the brake pressure. I find it easier to feel the amount of force my leg is using and the overall experience is more comfortable.

I would highly recommend the Fanatec CSL Load Cell pedal set to anyone wanting to upgrade

Some additional thoughts about brake pedals.

Obviously you don't need anything more than a set of regular T3PA pedals. Unless you want better build quality. And if you are picky about how the brake feels.

You may not like a load cell brake. It has its benefits. But it does require more effort and concentration to use. If I'm tired after a long day at work, and not 100% focused, I'll probably mess up a bit braking. Probably old braking habits / insticts sneaking in. Using more pressure and energy to complete laps around a track works amazing when I'm fairly fresh. Not so much when I'm tired. Using a load cell brake requires just a bit more energy to achieve 100% braking power vs stock conical brake mods, but it requires more energy through all stages of braking. If you are someone that already dislikes the effort required to use a stock conical brake mod, or even the stock G29 brake with the insert, I'm going to guess you won't be a fan. It also took me several weeks to be able to drive more instinctively using a pressure based load cell brake.

If you want to upgrade an existing set of T3PA pro pedals, the Ricmotec LC is really good.

If you are on a budget then get the blue BBJ conical brake mod. Its softer than the yellow mod, which I though was great but a bit to hard.

If you are looking to upgrade from the RS 2 pedal set, the CSL Elite LC pedals should be strongly considered.

I'll add some pics tomorrow comparing the pedal travel of the T3PA pro vs CSL Elite.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180724-185357_Companion.jpg
I swapped in the T3PA pro pedals with the Ricmotech Load and jumped on the TT for daily race B. Immediately beat my best time from earlier today by over 2 tenths. First time I've been ranked #10 on the leaderboards, especially this late in the day. 1 and a half tenths behind turismo lester.

The Ricmotech load cell actually felt really good and easy to use this time. While the brake pedal has less travel than the CSL Elite LC, after switching back to them for an hour I have to say it's an amazing set up and works incredibly well. It felt really easy to use and modulate pressure. Probably due to my now having a few months experience using load cell brakes.

Unfortunately the reason I mounted them is that I have someone wanting to buy them. Oh well.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. Really informative and well put together analysis. I have been using T3PA GT pedals that came with the T300RS GT edition. Same pedals as t3pa pro but plastic arms and pedal faces are different. I took the conical brake mod out because I kept blowing braking markers. I found it challenging to brake that hard over the course of a race. Now without the brake mod in, it's easier to depress the pedal but definitely would like to have more feel under braking, especially when trail braking. Hence my interest in your awesome review of the LC pedals. Nice job getting into the top 10!!! Closest I've come is .5 of a second.

Btw are using a thrustmaster wheel? If so, how do you connect the csl elite lc pedals to the wheel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people using Thrustmaster wheels with Fanatec pedals were using an CPX Adapter but unfortunately they are now discontinued. http://www.basherboards.com/CPX

However it is still possible using a Drivehub. https://collectiveminds.ca/shop/allconsoles/drivehub/ or https://shop.cronusmax.com/drivehub.html

I just ordered a drivehub and Fanatec V3's (with brake performance kit) to upgrade my T3PA's that came with the T-GT I recently got. I have a relatively new Playseat Evolution (replacing and older playseat) and already getting a lot of flex in the pedal plate. As I'm waiting for my new pedals to arrive I'm concerned the new pedals may make this worse. Are any of you aware of a mod or have suggestions to "beef" this up to handle the heavier pedals?
Playseat.jpg

Back