• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 9 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Most people usually see motorcycles as thrilling forms of transportation or only real good for stunting. However, there are people who sanely ride motorcycles and take every precaution to avoid "pavement surfing" (to use the words of wfooshee) after dumping the bike on the ground. This thread was created for you all to suggest riding tips and tactics. I know what some of you are thinking: "riding tips? What's wrong with common sense?" Well, think about stuff like remembering to wear a helmet and riding responsibly. Maybe talk about not trying to gas the bike too much when exiting a turn. Maybe talk about how it isn't a really good idea to try to thread the needle by riding between two cars or cars parked at an intersection.

This is to help provide advice to make riding fun and safe. This even pertains to dealing with other bikes or other cars. Anyone feel free to offer advice?

While I haven't actually spent time on a motorcycle, I'm interested to know what they mean by "counter intuitive" steering?

They say you "steer" in the opposite direction you want to go— is this similar to the steering effect on a bicycle, or is it some hydraulic thing that's unique to bikes, or is it just bad wording? Also, since you only steer very minimally on bikes, are they just talking about corrective steering while you're leaning in the direction you want to go?

Its exactly the same as a bicycle. You do it without even thinking about it.

Well that's what I thought; that's not counter intuitive or backwards at all. I don't know what the **** the rider's handbook is talking about.

Maybe it's a little new if you've never ridden anything on 2 wheels before your whole bloody life.

You do actually turn away from the turn at first. Try going beside a curb at a high rate of speed, really close, and then try turning away. You'll probably end up hitting the curb or crashing.

turning like rigs do to go round a corner. this does get to be habit after a while, and I catch truckers swinging wide for a turn even in regular vehicles. I've even done it myself for no reason. I also have to do this with the lawn Tractor to keep things neat.

JohnBM: if people used "common sense", we wouldn't be in the middle of a holy war, have drunk drivers, or a president that needs his mental hard drive wiped and his spell checker removed :P

It's not "counter-intuitive" steering, it's "counter" steering.

You press down on the bar in the direction you want to turn, simple as that. It induces lean by turning the front wheel the opposite direction, which puts the weight towrds the turn. Press the outside bar to straighten up.

If you're too hot for the turn, just press more on the low bar. Do NOT brake unless you can sit it up straight. If that's not enough, you might get away with a touch of rear brake. After that, you just accept the fact that you screwed up and are going to crash.

Sorry for the length of the following. . . .

As for riding "safe" tips, basically pretend you're invisible. Make NO assumptions about whether you've been seen by other drivers. There's no such thing as a fender bender on a bike.

If you've never been on a motorcycle and someone says, "here, try it out," do NOT just grab gas and clutch and get out in traffic. We've all laughed our butts off at those Youtube vids where somebody gets on the bike for the first time and rides straight into a tree, a lake, a house, a car, whatever. It looks funny, you wonder how they could be so stupid, but a new rider with no muscle memory of the controls panics when the bike goes, and completely forgets that all he has to do is squeeze both levers to stop. Those vids are EXACTLY what happens when somebody just gets on and goes.

If you just bought your first bike, have an experienced rider bring the bike home and practice in your driveway. (My personal knowledge of a minimum mileage totalled bike is 7 miles on the odo!) First thing is to gear up and sit on the bike. Learn is the controls. Touch each lever and operate it with the bike off. Touch the brake. Hold in the clutch and operate the shifter. Find the choke. Find the petcock on the tank. (Fuel-injected bikes won't have either of those.)

Now it's time to learn the clutch. Sit the bike, raise the sidestand, turn the key on, and find neutral on the shifter; a green N light will come on. Start the bike with the clutch pulled in. With the clutch still pulled in kick the shifter down for 1st, and release the clutch just enough to feel some friction, but don't let the bike move. Feel how the lever moves to get the start of friction, then pull it back in without moving the bike. Slight release, pull it back in. Repeat several times, with just a little bit of gas. Bike clutches are wet clutches, so you're not gonna burn it up. Do this for 3 or 4 minutes.

Next, walk the bike forward while slipping the clutch. Don't put feet on pegs, just walk and then stop with the front brake. Walk and stop. Same thing, several minutes. What you're doing is building muscle memory for the clutch, gas, and brake.

Lastly, go ahead and ride forward. A little gas, release the clutch fully, feet on the pegs, and then pull in the clutch and stop. Use both brakes and put your left foot down first when the bike stops. Do that several times.

When you're comfortable with getting the bike moving, go ahead and get 2nd gear, then stop. To stop, pull in the clutch, apply brake, and downshift to first. Put your left foot down first when it stops. You should be in first by the time you stop, not stopped and then kick down. That's VERY VERY VERY important. Always downshift while still moving.

Once you've done all that, you've done the first exercises of the MSF basic rider course, and you're ready to start cornering exercises.

My point here is not to try to teach an MSF course, but to try to keep some noob from breaking his bike and his bones because he's "smarter" than the rest of us and was born knowing how to ride.

Double post was intentional, different subject this time.

Things to do while riding. Anything that could kill you within 2 seconds should already be known to you. Scan ahead, behind, and to the sides at ALL TIMES. If it comes at you less than 2 seconds away and you didn't already know about it, you might just die. You don't have time to react if you weren't already prepared. It goes without saying that if you're closer than 2 seconds to the vehicle in front, you can't have this awareness. That 2x4 with nails or scrap of plywood that they kick up will catch you right in the face.

Anything within 4 seconds in front should be almost that same level of awareness. That's where you pick up the things that can kill you in the 2-second zone. Find things that can kill you and plan an escape just in case.

You should scan every few seconds up further ahead, to the 12-second range. The light is changing, what's that car on the side gonna do?

If you're not aware of EVERYTHING that's going on ALL AROUND you, then you will probably die on the bike someday.

Things to avoid: Big-rig trucks. You have to pass them to get by, but do it spiritedly, don't dawdle. Don't ride beside him, don't ride behind him within a couple hundred feet. The air back there is rough, he can't see you, and if a tire blows, you're gonna eat it.

Don't ride beside a car in the adjacent lane. When they change lanes, they ALWAYS move and then look, and they'll tell the cop and the ambulance crew that they just didn't see you.

NEVER claim the right of way if there's the slightest doubt. The car that hit you turning right on red will tell the cop and the ambulance crew that he just didn't see you. Of course, you should have known he was there, and had an escape plan formed before he got into the 2-second zone. The fact that it was his fault doesn't help your family.

Ride in the tire tracks of the lane, not in the center. The center is where the oil builds up, and junk (nails, screws, bits that fall off of or out of vehicles) accumulates. When riding with someone, ride staggered, not side by side, so you each have swerving room for those occasional bits laying around.

Put your eyes on EVERYTHING you do. Look through the turns. Look at the ground where you put your foot down; finding wet oil will surprise you and put you under your bike. Look at the sidestand when you get off the bike. Hold the front brake lever getting on and off the bike.

BTW, all of these awareness tips ought to be part of your car-driving habits, as well.

if I put my eyes on anything BUT the road, I will yank to that side. i think it has something to do with my dyspraxia :P

what about those of us who drive by ear in the car? (i can't stand to have the radio on, cause I can't hear what the vehicle is doing or most of the ambient sounds outside)

any tips on inevitable ruts with dirt roads? these drive me nuts with 4 wheels, let alone two.

if I put my eyes on anything BUT the road, I will yank to that side. i think it has something to do with my dyspraxia :P

That's normal. That's why training new riders stresses "look there, go there" so strongly.

Back