RIP Miramax

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diego440
  • 11 comments
  • 1,452 views

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Messages
12,486
Venezuela
CCS
Messages
GTP_Diego
WENN
Harvey and Bob Weinstein's movie company, Miramax Studios, has closed its doors for good after 31 years in the movie industry.

The producer brothers founded the company in 1979. It became a leading distributor of independent films and was snapped up by The Walt Disney Company in 1993.

On Thursday, the firm's New York and Los Angeles offices closed for business after months of speculation surrounding the financial status Miramax.

Eighty employees have been made redundant and the future of six films have been left hanging in the Miramax vault, awaiting distribution.

Under the direction of the Weinsteins, the studio pumped out hit films such as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and The English Patient.

The brothers stepped down from the firm in late 2005 and went on to launch another studio venture, The Weinstein Company.

But the demise of Miramax has still had a big emotional impact on the Weinstein brothers.

Harvey Weinstein says, "I'm feeling very nostalgic right now. I know the movies made on my and my brother Bob's watch will live on.

"Miramax has some brilliant people working within the organisation and I know they will go on to do great things in the industry."

More at:
EmpireOnline
Cinemaretro
Collider
EW
The Wrap
We Are Movie Geeks

Some great movies from Miramax include:
Sex, Lies, and Videotape (1989)
My Left Foot (1989)
The Crying Game (1992)
The Piano (1993)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Il Postino (1995)
The English Patient (1996)
Good Will Hunting (1997)
La vita è bella (1997)
Shakespeare in Love (1998) [not so great]
Chicago (2002)
Cidade de Deus (2002)
The Aviator (2004)
The Queen (2006)
No Country for Old Men (2007)
 
wow.......simple wow:indiff::nervous:
 
That what they get for producing that horrible Bluntman and Chronic film. I will miss Miramax.
 
Wow, hard to see them go after a long line of great/decent flicks. Who knows though, maybe their new venture will start pumping out the classics.
 
I'm not sure what the Ad Wizards at Disney were thinking when they did this, but I'm fairly certain that you can chalk it up to dramatically increased competition over the past five or so years. Mirmax is one of those companies, at least for me, that define a decade of cinema. At least in my case, almost all the landmark movies of my youth and early teen years came from Mirmax. Most of them from the mind of Quentin Tarantino. Or Kevin Smith.

The flame will be carried on, that's for sure. I'm just trying to figure out who is going to cater to that crowd on their own.
 
Oh that's a definite... there's no reason Tarantino or Kevin Smith will stop making movies, especially since they're at a point in their careers where other studios may take them aboard. The problem is for smaller and more unknown directors getting their stuff out. This was Miramax's specialty and the directors who made it, kept them dear and kept on producing films with them.

I'm just curious who will carry the independent flame now.
 
Snapped up by Disney? And yet they still made Pulp Fiction? Who knew there was an adult side to Disney?
 
"All you ***** are gonna pay. You are the ones who are the ball-lickers. We're gonna ***** your mothers while you watch and cry like little bitches. Once we get to Hollywood and find those Miramax ***** who are making that movie, we're gonna make 'em eat our *****, then ***** out our *****, then eat their ***** which is made up of our ***** that we made 'em eat. Then you're all you ***** are next.
Love, Jay and Silent Bob."

God I love that movie.
 
Participant has made a lot of interesting, more indie films as of late as well. Although they are more politically driven than anything else. Lions Gate has done a lot of graduating like Mirmax as well, producing many more of the big(er) budget indie action films as of late.
 
btu isn't Lions Gate a European not-so-indie company... I'm probably wrong but I tend to relate Lions Gate with Gaumont all the time.
 
Back