Road Atlanta this past weekend

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
dawson864
Road Atlanta recently being added to the game was fortuitous timing, as I had a race there this past weekend. I've been there before (last year) but I practiced on it A LOT in GT7 in the two weeks leading up to the race. In particular, the Daily Race with spec Miatas was great for helping. And honestly I think it really helped me quickly get a level of comfort since in this real life event there was no practice or even qualifying. I just jumped in as driver #2 and entered the hot track mid-race.

Has anyone else raced in real life on tracks featured in GT7? If so, thoughts? Below is some footage for your viewing pleasure :D

If wondering about the vast difference in speed amongst the competition, I was in the fastest car class. Also this was an endurance race, and also my first time driving this particular car. So there's a level of conservatism involved; I'm not trying to go balls out Time Attack style.

Last edited:
I did a track event at Watkins Glen, but it was 20 years ago, so other than vaguely remembering it, and the nostalgia factor, it didn't mean much. Pretty cool that you could use RA as a training tool. I attended the Petit Lemans even in late September of this year but didn't get on track.

Last edited:
Not a race but seriously fun: I have done touristenfahrten on the Nurburgring 3 times so far in the 1st gen Boxster I co-own with my brother in law.

Driving the Nordschleife is a bucket list item for me (and I'm sure many others!) But I still feel quite happy to be less than 2 hours from VIR and less than 6 from RA.

Username checks out.
Yeah, what a coincidence, no? :dopey:

Driving the Nordschleife is a bucket list item for me (and I'm sure many others!) But I still feel quite happy to be less than 2 hours from VIR and less than 6 from RA.
I live about 4.5 hours from the Ring, we go there on weekend trips. The drive through the Ardennes and the Eifel are a treat in itself.
A problem with the touristenfahrten is however the number of accidents. It seems multiple crashes happen every day by people who run out of talent before they run out of Ring. So, every day your laps may be interupted by yellow or red flags. Also it is intimidating that our little Porsche is just about the slowest car on the track. You have to be checking your mirrors all the time for GT3s, GT4s and even faster stuff overtaking you at max attack.

I can definitely see that, the speed disparity can be huge. Our car was fast enough to win, but unfortunately we had a few unscheduled stops that really hurt (each time we'd lose about 4 laps). One driver had to come in twice to pee (I can't even...). We finished 7th out of 98. Started 77th.

Yeehaw. My old turbo Eclipse. That was a fun car.

UGrdJIX.jpg

Back