Road Of Endurance Series 1: 300 (Segment 3 is up)

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 3 comments

RACECAR

Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR

Lucerne-ChapelBridge.jpg

Pre-Race

I arrive at the track, ready to tackle the first of the many enduros I would encounter. I was met with an interesting mix of cars showing up for this race. The two cars I immediately took Note of were the Suburu Imprezas, both appear to be models from 99 but they seemed to be the quickest of the field. How was I going to take on the overkill of their 4 Wheel drive? With my 370Z. Would be the first time I'd take one of my daily drivers to the track, but it would be a good test to see how good it is as a track car. Other then a Tire change, it was untouched as I wanted to attempt taking on a field with a mostly stock car. If there was any better time to find out how this was going to work out, this was it. It was time I got suited up and got to the grid.

Start/Segment 1 (Lap 1-20)

As I came rolling to the start, my thoughts focused on each of the cars ahead. Green flag flies and I'm off, got a good start on the Toyota Celica just in front. Was able to outbreak him into Turn one and got a run on the Nissan skyline R32 that was next. It got tight through the bends, but I managed to zoom past. Next was a group of cars that included a 350Z, a Infiniti G35 and a Mitsubishi GTO. I rode the outside line of the corner and managed to fly by two of them leaving only the Z which I then passed through the downhill bends leading to the first tunnel. Next I came across an RX-7 and immediately ahead of it was one of the Subarus, that meant I wasn't too far from the leader, but it seem he was getting further away as the first lap progressed. I managed to pass the Mazda going onto the bridge and later on, passed one of the Subarus for 2nd coming out of the final corner. Lap 2 began and I had a 3 second gap to close on the leader. Its seemed at first I wasn't making much gain as I was only cutting tenths of a second off for the first few corners, but tenths soon became seconds and 3 secs shrunk to 1 sec heading towards the second tunnel. I was closing fast towards the end of the lap, made up alot of time through the tunnel. That blue spec was now a car that I was only one car length from passing. In the final corner, I managed to get a run carrying alot of speed and took him on the straight. I was now in the lead and was pulling away. Without overpowering the field, my car was doing me proud. Not bad for a stock car so far.

Last edited:
Segment 2 (Lap 21-40)

I came to the pits, a handy lead of about 40 secs from the next car and pitted just for tires. My crew finished and I was off. The tire wear from the first 20 laps gave me something to think about as I was going along. The more I run, the more I learned about my car and the way it reacts to my driving. Interestingly, I was able to carry on with my car's tires ten laps more then my competitors, all of whom had tuned cars of some extent. By lap 28, the traffic was starting to pick up as I began lapping cars. Sometimes it was just one car, other times in groups of two. On lap 35, I had a close call as two cars were battling for position. As I went to pass, they got two wide and I only managed to lightly skim the grass with the rear tire going into 1. I made it in one piece with no scratches, was the first time I actually had to do some erratic driving the entire race. The final pit stop is getting closer at lap 39 and my tires were still holding up well. After this stop, it would become a sprint race and I only had 7 more miles until the finish.

Segment 3/Finish (Lap 41-60)

I came in for my second and final stop in the race. As before, there was no rush with the lead in hand I had so the crew could put plenty of fuel in with no sense of urgency. After they completed the service, I set off knowing I only had 20 laps to go before the checkers. The race was far from over until then as I still had traffic and a very agressive battles for position, to the point where I had more close calls with the track side objects then I wanted. It was not as uneventful as I would have wanted it for much of the laps but as I crossed the line with one to go, Relief was only a lap away and suddenly, I gathered more energy knowing the end was near. For the first time in the race, I pushed agressively through all the corners and sliding the car. As I was approaching the final corner, A big sigh of relief and accomplishment was beginning to set in. I crossed the line not only victorious to my competitors, but I just finish my first enduro and did so in a car thats normally what I take every morning to work and back. A few minutes later, I was up on the top step of the podium as I was handed the trophy. The champagne spraying ensued afterwards as I enjoyed the moment. Not bad for a Coffee runner.

Reflection and looking forward

A day later, I was repeatidly replaying in my mind that I completed the first enduro in my Journey towards the big race in Germany. When I looked at the next race in the latter, I cringed. It was none other then Tsukuba , a track I despise deeply. And to make matters more difficult, I would compete in that race...for Four Hours. As much as hated it, I knew I had to do it. In two weeks, I would eventually have to address the elephant in the room and I'm not exactly in good terms with it.

Last edited:
Back