Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
The Drive For The Five

Siena-PiazzadelCampo_3.jpg

Pre-Race
So here we are, the brickyard. Most of my time here has been spent in Stock Car racing and Some grind prix racing. However, this was going to be a very interesting experiance for me as I would be in a sportscar taking to the speedway. This was definately different but I was eager to get going and experience this.

Start/Part 1
At the drop of the Green, I was off. I quickly caught everyone in front through the first two corners and was in the lead by turn 3. I was out in front and gradually building the gap in the first ten laps. It wouldn't be long before I started coming across lapped traffic and made some risky passes. First stop came at lap 18, it was only a Tire stop as the Fuel was still abit before halfway. About two laps later, the other cars came to pit and I was able to have clear track for a while. Just barely saving the car from going into the wall, next pitstop was lap 38 and this time with fuel and tires. The stop took more time but the car was loaded and I set off. I resorted to letting off the gas in the corners and back on to see if that would save me from having another moment. It turned out useful as it ended up leaving me enough tire to safely get to the pits for the next stop on lap 58. Tires were changed and I was off once again, now with a confy 2 lap lead.

Last edited:
I X1'd this race :lol: Was pitting every 26/28 laps with it on RS without leaving the gas pedal.

Part 2
In at Lap 78, Tires only and away I went. As I was fully in Anger out of the pits, I touch a small bit of grass merging out of Turn 2 and had a slight tank slapper. Thankfully, no car was directly behind me otherwise I could've ended my day right there. I continued my routine until around lap 90, I came across two cars going down the back straight. They were side-by-side, battling for position I assume. They were in close enough range that I actually caught a draft and closed right on them. Going into three, The BMW hit the Audi squre in the rear tire and both cars slid up the track and into the wall, the BMW in a wild spin and sliding down the track. I had to take to the grass and barely managed to avoid getting scraped, That was close call number 1 and as I came the next lap around, I saw the extent and toll of that accident as the Audi come into the pits with the front end caved in on the right side and the tire mark from where it was hit. The BMW was also in and its condition was just as brutal. Six laps later, I came into the pits for fuel and Tires. I was then on my way. The second close call happened as I was almost hit while exiting my box by another car coming in. Once again, I was grateful I took no hit from that. It was nearing halfway and if what I've encountered is Any indication, things are about to pick up

Part 3
It was now past the Halfway point as I was coming off pit road at lap 110 with fresh new rubber. At this point of the race, the field had now been divided in either packs of two-to-five cars or just individual cars running by themselves. It was a challenge that kept my eyes open as I found myself constintly dodging cars one after the other. Sometimes, I barely was able to get through the corners past them and other times, I had to actually put the brakes on to keep from slamming into them. The closing rate is definately intact as it usually is in Sports cars, but it is alot more threatning with these walls. That fact that Brakes are rarely used makes it all the more a dangerous situation. Lap 129 was the next time I came in, Fuel and Tires. With the lead I had, the crew could afford to take their time with the fuel and get just enough for me to go. While being serviced, Another BMW came in. It was not the same one from the huge contact but it was showing the wear and tear of the race, as were many of the cars I noticed. Seemed like most of the field had a tire mark or somewhat damaged fender. From my outlap, most of the field was coming in, which left me a good eight laps of clean track. I was back to dodging cars however as I came across two Audis through Turn 2 and one of the Pescarolos. I looked up at the scoring pylon and thought "We're nearly there". Lap 149 was coming up and with it, only two more pitstops would seperate me from the checkered flag.

Part 4/Finish
Into the pits I came for full service and a refeshing drink. I Opted for a interesting strategy that meant this stop would be one of the last two for fuel. The thinking was I would only need to refuel for the second to last stop and with my conservative care to the tires, I could also make the fuel last through to the checkers. Service done, I was gone and back in business. Half the field came in, which freed up four laps of clean track and then the others came in. With the final stop coming at lap 169, I was just patienly working traffic for the next 10 laps, which was surprisingly not as crazy as I was expecting them to be. Here came the first of the final two, Last full service stop and out I went. For the next 20 laps, All I had to do was just keep the nice and smooth run I was giving. If I could keep it up as I had been doing, the final stint would be only ten laps and would leave enough rubber from the next set to lay down the hammer for a nice sprint to the finish. Here it was, Lap 189. Now came the test of my fuel strategy. The clever benefit from this would mean a lighter car which meant better handling and even faster lap times. However, this would only work if I played the fuel strategy correctly because if I get it wrong, I would run out and coast to a unpleasant finish. Tires bolted on, I was off and in sprint mode. No more tire saving, now just flat out driving all the way. With two laps to go, I looked at the gauge and it was getting close and I had a whole army of lapped cars ahead of me. I was sling and dicing down the back stretch but it was going into turns 3 & 4 that were the most tricky. I just kept hoping not to get even a tap from someone's fender. I emerged on the final lap and I was feeling the excitment. Here I was about to win this 500 miler in a Sportscar. On to the backstretch I came and I was tempted to celebrate early, but didn't want to jinx myself and go into a wall. I enter turn 3 and then 4. As soon a I saw the checkered flag, relief came over me. As I pulled down pit road and into the victory lane, I was shaking from all the adrenaline in going that quick with that much grip consistanly around this track, just mind boggling. I went on and celebrated with the crew, having hoisted another trophy of Endurance.

Reflection
As I look back on what was once day and is now evening, I almost wonder why aren't there more sports cars on ovals. Its the prefect compromise between open wheel and stockcars with the crazy speeds all while enclosed. Maybe thats just me, but I found it quite exciting an quite different from the norm. I rest now knowing that in two months I head to Japan, for a 1000 KM race at Suzuka.

Last edited:
Back