Owner/Promoter/Organizer/Driver/ETC
Premium
United States
Addison,Texas
GTP_RACECAR
Tour De Le Mans

Siena-PiazzadelCampo_2.jpg

Pre-Race
Finally, I reached the pinnacle of endurance races. This was only part 1, but I was glad to show up. It was time to race and with the relief of knowing all the horrible races are out of the way, I was going all out for these final two and it started here in the French Countryside.

Start/Hour 1
As I rounded the last corner, my mind was already set one thing right away: Take that lead and run with it. Flag drops and I was immediately on the attack. I managed to outbrake at least five cars into the first chicane before the dunlop bridge and got to third. I then blew by on the outside of the Courage Peugeot going through the esses, heading towards hunaduares. I got a run of the corner and with some drafting help, got by the Bentley with the lead. Lap 3 was the first pit stop for me as the softs were at the end of their life. was soon out and back in the action a few positions down. In two laps, I made my way back up to 4th and on Lap 6, another stop yet again only for tires. I managed to get out before everyone else and pulled away. I made a huge mistake on pit strategy and on Lap 9, I had little to no tire left coming to the pits. I lost all those positions I had made up and had to once again charge out the pits and get to the front but with now the correct amount of fuel and an interesting combination of Medium compounds at the front and Hards at the rear, I was able to work my back past all the cars. Some through the pits, some on track. I then caught the Bentley coming up on GT traffic and while he got bogged by the Viper going into Indianapolis, I dived to the outside and got position. So far so good, but the competition was not easy to get away from and with the positions flipping back & forth, this was gonna make for an interesting race.

Last edited:
Hour 2
Back out the pits and I had a 18 second gap I had to bring down from 4th place. I managed to close it to 12 seconds before the cars ahead pitted. Managed to get the leader before he pitted and on Lap 23, I pitted for more tires. I this time went back to the rabbit strategy of soft tires and flat out driving. Managed to get all the positions back and set a reasonable gap before coming in at lap 28. After dodging lapped traffic and pitstops of the other cars, I came in at Lap 33 for the next stop. Looks like its me vs not one but four fast cars, that just makes it more fun

Hour 3
The sun was beginning its decent, afternoon was fading as I pitted on Lap 36. Once again, the three cars managed to leap frog me on pit stops due to the fuel. I found myself once again dodging traffic in the form of both now Lapped Prototype cars as well as GT cars. I managed to pass 2nd and 3rd on their pitstop and a lap later, the leader on his. I then came in a lap later at Lap 40 and found a potent tire combination. Soft compounds on the front with Medium compounds on the rear. Not only was wear more longer lasting, but it still maintained the impressive grip. it also helped that when I came out, I was only three car lenths back from 2nd. I pass the Pescarolo going into Turn 1 and with the help of the run I got off the corner, the draft and lapped cars, I passed the Bentley for the lead. and built a gap. Lap 44, I can in for those same Tires only and managed to maintain the lead for the first time in the race. The evening was setting in, the glare is full effect. The daylight shift was in its final hours.

Last edited:
Hour 4
Lap 48, Business as usual. Same tires, no fuel and away I went. Car was still running flawlessly, no hiccups whatsoever. The sun was decending even futher and the even sky was becoming more clear on Lap 52. Full service stop and away the car went. a few close calls with lapped cars, one particularly scary instance in the porsche curves. I had now lapped four cars in class and as I pushed on, the night time was slowly moving in. Witnin the next hour, the skies were beginning to fade into blue.

Hour 5
Another pit stop, full service at Lap 64. Same old combination as before and once again, I maintained a healthy distance. I came across the Mercedes, a car I hadn't seen since the third hour. I assume mechanical trouble is what has kept it for so long. Lap 72, I made a change to the strategy, thinking that with the lead I had, I could not go to long distance compounds and have longer tire stints between stops. So I requested a combination of Medium compounds on the front and Hard ones for the rears. I also took fuel and was only my way. What I wasn't expecting was how this strategy would put my race in jeopardy. The 2nd place car, which was now the Pescarolo Judd, was putting down some fast laps and gaining for the next five laps. I fevereshly tried to get aggressive and hold him off. My lead was being chipped into 2 seconds at a time each lap, only for me to slightly build it back up through Tetre Rouge, the Porsche Curves and most notibly, the Ford Chicanes. However, my car was beginning to slip alot and the gap was closing much faster. I slipped in the second front straight chicane and it was down to 3 seconds, I slid again at Mulsanne and it came down to 1 second. The car was in striking distance and on the approach to indianapolis, he was catching me. Luckily, he pitted on 76 and I pitted a lap later, thinking I got a good gap before he could pull that off again. I used the same tire combination and this time, not so much sliding. How the mood had changed, it went from a easy drive to a frantic chase just like that. It appears nighttime was indeed the right time to strike and now with my advantage gone, I've now become the hunted.

Hour 6
Lap 80, the battle continued. The Pescarolo came out first and immediately, I was right on the tail attempting to pass it. We exchanged positions until lap 85, when I only got tires and was on my way. Turned out to be a bad idea as I ended up on the very lap I was gonna pit running out of fuel. My worst fear came true and it was a painful long limp from Mulsanne corner to the pits. In the process, I plummeted to 4th and now had a massive +3'45 gap to bring down. After the full service stop and a switch to the Soft Compounds, I Would spend the next 3 stints trying to run down the leader. In a matter of two hours, my run had gone from a easy cruise to now a full on chase.

Hour 7
With the sky now fully dark, the party had begun around circuit. The only fireworks going on with me was the sparks coming off the car as I was pushing to bring down huge gap. One battle for positions came with the BMW. We changed positions each pit stop, I in front one lap, the BMW the next. I was finally able to put a suffencient gap on 3rd place and begin pursuing the 2nd place Bentley. 12 minutes later, I was finally able to get him in visual distance. All the decisive passing on the lapped cars and hard driving was paying off. If only the fuel trouble hadn't occured in the first place, this could've just remained a good battle with the Pescarolo Judd. With 18 hours to go, there was still time for me to catch and pass the leader. Its all Push from here.

Last edited:
Hour 8
Lap 111, more of the same and gaining abit more. I was now at a point where I was having a high speed game of leap frog with the leaders. 114, I came out 2nd looking for first. 117, I came out 3rd getting around the pescarolo but passed by the Bentley and then by the pescarolo in the pits. Lap 121, I got by both cars when they pitted a lap before me. This became the norm for the next hour and I was having quite the amount of highs and lows with each passing minute.

Hour 9
As I came in for on Lap 124, the chase continued. I was passed in the pits while the leaders stretched the lead. I came out prepared to do another hard stint, until the most unexpected twist happened. I was coming upon another car thinking it was maybe a lapped GT car but when I closed up on it at Mulsanne corner, it was actually the 3rd place Bentley. Judging from it coming of the grass and not even keeping up with me on the straight like it usually would, it appeared to have run out of fuel. As if that weren't a big enough twist, I came up on the Pescarolo at the porsche Curves, also incredibly slow. Not at a crawing pace like the Bentley, but somewhat of a reduced pace. this along with the sliding it was doing seemed to tell me it had no tire left. Just like that within the first six minutes of this stint, both my competitors have hit trouble and I was able to take advantage. Seems what happened to me two hours ago was now happening to them. Beginning at Lap 131, I went back to the Soft Front, Medium Rear strategy and was putting a huge gap between me and them. Surprisingly at 134, I pitted for fuel when the pescarolo managed to actually show up on the front stretch. Just as I exited, he went by but I was still able to see that bright green on the car and right at Tetre Rouge, Passed him back for the lead. Lapped cars and aggressive corner entry would be what I would used to increase the gap. With the fuel tank now near full, I could do fuel stops every three pit stops instead of every two. With the Pescarolo pitting a lap before, I came in at lap 138. Just tires and I was away. As I was going along, I spotted the Mclaren, which I hadn't seen since Hour 7. Suspension issues is what I'm told was the reason for it long absence. I then pass both the Vipers, looked like the 51 was leading in class that time. 142, another tires only stop and as both vipers piled in , I was out. For once since hour 6, my luck had turned around as I was no longer doing the chasing. I was now the one being chased and unless I blew it again as I did before, my rivals were gonna have a hard time catching me

Last edited:
When I ran my le mans race, it rained from hour 8 until hour 23. so annoying.
I also used the 908 but it was tuned so it ran very well.

photo.php

Hour 10
I was back in cruise control, had a massive lead going to the pits at lap 144. Had a good run going, nothing eventful and as usual, dodging lapped cars. 147 however, I was in the pits when once again, the pescarolo showed up and took the lead. I came out gunning for him but later on in that outlap, I caught up to him at Mulsanne, heavily slow and locked in battle with another slow car. I got by and made that lead increase again. Lap 150, more of the same when it came to tires. Stint was once again uneventful all the way to lap 158. Now I just waited for the sunrise. Nothing says progress like the sky lighting up.

Hour 11
Lap 160, Another hour of tires and smooth driving. The lead I built was so big, I could for once take it easy. Lap 164, Tires and fuel and away I went. I caught right up to the middle of a battle between the Toyota and the BMW, managed to sneak by and drive away. As usual, no hour of this race is complete without seeing the vipers at least once. Either way, I was still cruising and still waiting for that sunrise.

Hour 12
Nearing the halfway point and still going strong. Some of the cars I pass by are beginning to look the part of being in a 24 hour race, especially the two Vipers. With this plan, I told the crew to do something interesting: Take six strips of tape every hour and mark them with laps I come in based on the tire wear. As rudimentry as it seemed, this would be a nice reminder for me everytime I wondered when to pit. On lap 176, it was put in motion. While the fuel was being put in, one of the tire changers put the strips of tape on the dash where I could reach it. For the entirety of this hour, I made good use of this new system and it worked to perfection. Not a single mistake was made and I hit each lap precisely. 178, 182, 186, 190, and 194. Just like that, this hour went by. Seemed like the hours could go by quick now that I have this simple system in place.

Last edited:
Hour 13
Lap 190, I pitted and then I continued the usual pace. Lap 198, I came for a full tank of fuel and tires and keep it going. It was mostly uneventful for me. But then at 6:47 Am local French time, something beautiful happened: Morning was finally beginning to arrive. It started as a small hole in the black sky, then it slowly begin to get brighter. What a way to begin the second half of the race, nothing like the sunrise to get you your 2nd wind.

Hour 14
As dawn was more & more previlent, I was getting more and more ballsy with my passes. After pitting at lap 206, I pressed on. Right on my outlap, both Vipers were racing with the 91 attempting a pass on the inside. 210, Full tank of fuel and tires. Next 4 stops afterwards with tires only. SOme of the lapped cars were beginning to look extremely sluggish, one even going off in the grass. Seems like the nighttime had taken a toll on some cars.

Hour 15
Lap 222, another tire only stop and away I went. I was on cruise control and keeping up with everyone on track. I came across the Nissan R390 in the esses and it was at a snails pace, looked like it lost alot of the ponies it had hours ago. Likewise at Mulsanne corner on the same lap, I found the Audi R10 also crawling slowly and slipping wildly in the corners. Car looks completely unstable, its amazing it didn't crash the amount of times it was getting out of shape. 226, 230,234, 238

Hour 16
Another hour and another pit stop at 238. Tires only and away I went. more lapped traffic and the ever bright morning sun. 242 would be a fuel and Tires stop, especially good since I ran the tank almost dry and the car only began to sputter as I came to the pit box. Laps kept steady as did my lead. Lap 246 & 250, Tire only stops. I had great pace, but little would I know that in the next hour how great it really was.

Last edited:
Hour 17
Lap 254, A full service stop. Back on my way. Once again, found the heated battle between the Vipers as I passed both. After a tire stop at 258, one of the biggest moments happened: I lapped The bentley that chased me and passed me at night. I was now invigorated with the idea of chasing the pescarolo and lapping it. So after tire stops at lap 262 and 266, I would now focus on closing down on him. Sure its a car far behind, but this is the guy I was battling for the lead at night so nothing says assurance like crushing your opponents to the point that they lose the resolve to fight back.

Hour 18
Another all tire stop at 270, still keeping up the pressure. The gap was getting towards the 3'00 mark. Of course, all that driving was also getting the fuel mileage dangerously low. Thanks to some well timed coasting through the Porsche Curves, I made it at 274 and got the tank full again. Laps 278, 282 & 286, all tire stops. Managed to catch up to a much healthier Nissan R390. It wasn't the snail on the straightaway like it had been two hours ago so it seems its issues have been fixed. The issue I'm fixated on for the time being is making sure the car in 2nd gets put further behind.

Hour 19
Continually pushing on, I pitted at Lap 286, taking on a full fuel load and tires. I came out and kept pushing, more close calls with the Lapped traffic. I saw the Pescarolo pitting and made a fast in-lap before pitting at 290. 294, 298,

Hour 20
19 Hours down, 5 to go. As usual at Lap 302, I begin the next hour in the pits for tires. I came out and back on my way. With me being ahead in the race and with both 2nd and 3rd place a lap down, that meant relaxing my pace. I was now more gentle with throttle and steering input and the tire wear was abit improved, eve nif not by much. Lap times were still somewhere in the 3:31s so I was still fast, just not as aggressive. 306, I was in for tires and back out. I would be able to test the fuel mileage of my more relaxed as I was able to get to the pits with a few gallons more then I done this entire race on lap 310. I was now at a relaxed pace and it was showing. Even in the midst of lap traffic, such as the continuing battle between the vipers and the added trouble of the Audi R10 also going around them, I wa able to calmly make quick work of them on the straights. Came in for tires only and continued at lap 314. And then, there were only four hours left.

Hour 21
Lap 318, another stop. The end was getting closer and closer. 322, another full service stop and away I went. On my outlap, I encounter the other Pescarolo, the Peugeot powered car. It didn't put up much of a fight coming of the chicane as I flew by. for Lap 326 & 330, Tires only and it wouldn't be another hour here at Le Mans without seeing at least one of the Vipers again. The skys were looking abit dark, perhaps overcast. Last thing I need to happen is rain in the final few hours of the race. Time was winding down and victory was only three hours away.

Last edited:
Hour 22
Lap 334, A full service stop. As I pulled away, I looked at the sky and the clouds continually kept coming. I was really hoping it was nothing more then cloud cover. 338 & 342, Just tire stops. I came across the BMW on the Mulsanne straight, I drafted by it before the first chicane. Of course because it had more straightline speed then my 908, it was abit annoying to keep behind. 346, another tires only stop. How about that, Only two hours left. Now with the time left, I was guaranteed a win as long as I kept it on the track, Keep away from the guard rails, stay off of any cars and no rain came.

Hour 23
The final two hours had begun. Lap 350, a full service stop and away I went. The clouds finally cleared up and I saw the afternoon sun. It was smooth sailing though laps 354 & 358. However when I came to lap the Bentley for a second time, he forced me into the grass. So coming to Arnage, I forced him towards the wall and he slowed. I could've bumped but I promised I was gonna keep off of anything so I just put alittle fear into him to show my displeasure for that move. Came in at 362 for tires only and left. The final hour was about to begin, just abit more and the race would be mine.

Last edited:
Hour 24
The final hour. I pitted in at Lap 366 for a full service and went on my way. From this point on, things went smooth for my final four stops. Lap 370, just tires. Lap 374, Full service. Lap 378, Just tires and finally at lap 382, Full service. With only One minute left as I was heading towards Arnage, I knew the end was in site. 24 Hours of all out driving would finally end. The clock reached 0 as I exited the ford Chicanes and crossed the line. What was race.

Reflection
I would need an absolute rest from all that driving. As I did, I sat there for a while ,looking at the trophy I just won. When I looked at the calender, I felt a eager grin on my face as the final race was another big one close to my heart: The 24 Hours Of Nurburgring.

Last edited:
Wow, you took a long break from the last report....I plan to take my time on the 2nd Le Mans. The 24hour of the Green Hell is extremely fun compared to Le Mans, but it gets really dark in some area's and the scenic view in spots is pretty sweet!

Enjoy it :cheers:

Wow, you took a long break from the last report....I plan to take my time on the 2nd Le Mans. The 24hour of the Green Hell is extremely fun compared to Le Mans, but it gets really dark in some area's and the scenic view in spots is pretty sweet!

Enjoy it :cheers:

Yeah, I was so excited about finishing it at that time, that I actually forgot :lol: I'll defiantely be having some fun, especially now with more realistic Tire wear introduced.

Yeah, I was so excited about finishing it at that time, that I actually forgot :lol: I'll defiantely be having some fun, especially now with more realistic Tire wear introduced.

At least it did not rain on you. My adventure was a bit annoying as it rained from hour 5 until the end. :ouch:

So I was counting the seconds badly :dunce:

Back