Road racing games with a genuine fear of crashing

• Thread starter Tristan H
  • 12 comments
Australia
Australia
A big part of video game racing is about generating the excitement of the real life sport in a virtual space. Many games try to heighten the sense of speed, and glamour of the sport, but very few road racing games try to highlight the fear of crashing.

The only game I can think of that did this well was Shift 2. Race Driver Grid did it pretty well with the good damage model and red screen of death.

Driveclub freaked me out the first time I found out that cars can flip, but due to the lack of damage it doesn't matter so much.

Can you think of any other road racing games that have a genuine fear of crashing? Good rally games should do this well by their nature, so no need to mention those.

Also, why do you think there are so few games like this?

Can you think of any other road racing games that have a genuine fear of crashing?

I get this feeling whenever I race a historic F1 car at the old Spa circuit on PC2 - especially if I race with full damage. I do a lot of reading about 1950's and 60's motorsport and whenever I'm on the (virtual) track I'm always conscious of the many drivers who lost their lives in the Spa 24 Hours and the F1 Grand Prix. The drivers used to breathe a sigh of relief whenever that round was over - some even thought about packing up racing the first time they tried the track!

I get this feeling whenever I race a historic F1 car at the old Spa circuit on PC2 - especially if I race with full damage. I do a lot of reading about 1950's and 60's motorsport and whenever I'm on the (virtual) track I'm always conscious of the many drivers who lost their lives in the Spa 24 Hours and the F1 Grand Prix. The drivers used to breathe a sigh of relief whenever that round was over - some even thought about packing up racing the first time they tried the track!
Nice call.

I would love to play a new full historic F1 game, like Grand Prix Legends.

Most AAA racing games feature cars from licensed manufacturers that don't want their vehicles to be seen as dangerous. As a result, that brings along restrictions when it comes to the aftermath of crashes and damage modeling.

Most AAA racing games feature cars from licensed manufacturers that don't want their vehicles to be seen as dangerous. As a result, that brings along restrictions when it comes to the aftermath of crashes and damage modeling.
That sucks, but it makes sense.

I'm guessing that manufacturers have become increasingly picky about it too. It would explain why Race Driver Grid has so much better vehicle damage than later instalments, and why Forza Horizon vehicle damage has gotten progressively worse.

It also explains why Burnout Paradise and Wreckfest which both don't have licenced vehicles have some of the best vehicle damage. Makes me want to see more unlicensed arcade racers!

It also explains why Burnout Paradise and Wreckfest which both don't have licenced vehicles have some of the best vehicle damage. Makes me want to see more unlicensed arcade racers!

I was actually about to mention Wreckfest in my previous post, but didn't really think it was what you were looking for as a true motorsport game. I do think there is an element of fear, especially when realistic damage is selected and you are driving a car with no armor. :lol:

I was actually about to mention Wreckfest in my previous post, but didn't really think it was what you were looking for as a true motorsport game. I do think there is an element of fear, especially when realistic damage is selected and you are driving a car with no armor. :lol:
I feel like Wreckfest and Burnout seem to glorify the carnage, which I think takes away the fear.

I feel like Wreckfest and Burnout seem to glorify the carnage, which I think takes away the fear.

Yes - I don't have a sense of fear when I play Wreckfest - just fun! Online racing in PC2 with full damage gives me plenty of fear!

La Sarthe Historic track at night in an Aston DBR1, Porsche 917 or Ferrari 512 gives me a sense of what it must have been like and some of the fear, but it must have been truly scary in real life - early versions of the Porsche 917 had such a flexy chassis that the shift from 3rd to 4th was actually difficult - David Hobbs mentions this in his book.

The confidence level of the drivers must have been incredible - in an era before seatbelts Stirling Moss used to half spin the car so that he struck the bank backwards (on the very rare occasions when he knew a crash was inevitable). Le Mans winner and GP driver Masten Gregory "The Kansas City Flash" used to climb out of the car and jump before the moment of impact to avoid being trapped in the wreckage and burnt alive!

This is the aftermath of one of Masten's crashes (Goodwood) where jumping from the car was probably the right decision!

The SHIFT games surely provide that fear of crashing. But you want one game I played that has an even scarier feel of crashing? Try "Suzuki TT Superbikes: Real Road Racing Championship" on the PS2. Think of that game as a more realistic, more scary "Tourist Trophy." The game has a tricky auto-braking system that still is on even if you disable it. But if you know anything about real road racing, it is intensely dangerous going full speed on a motorcycle down mostly country roads. These races are NOT for the faint of heart!

Either of the TT:Isle Of Man titles will do the job, as will PC2 with realistic damage on, as well as WRC 8 with realistic damage switched on. In WRC 8 with realistic damage even if you run a clean stage you will still pick up damage to the brakes and suspension, and with limited repair times, you live in dread of any contact with any obstacle.

AC gets a mention for the finest drivetrain damage modeling from miss-shifts, which include blowing the engine and gearbox.

I know the Grid series has already been mentioned but, Autosport. The game gives you just 10 minutes to practice & setup before qualifying, most of the time this isn't enough for me & the only way to restart is to crash & write the car off, (cheat, yes I know), so this is what I sometimes do, but every time I brace myself, close my eyes or look away for a split second just before impact ! And I always feel really guilty for all the damage I've caused watching the car explode into bits ! Someone's I feel I live for these car games we play :)

A big part of video game racing is about generating the excitement of the real life sport in a virtual space. Many games try to heighten the sense of speed, and glamour of the sport, but very few road racing games try to highlight the fear of crashing.

The only game I can think of that did this well was Shift 2. Race Driver Grid did it pretty well with the good damage model and red screen of death.

Driveclub freaked me out the first time I found out that cars can flip, but due to the lack of damage it doesn't matter so much.

Can you think of any other road racing games that have a genuine fear of crashing? Good rally games should do this well by their nature, so no need to mention those.

When i saw the title i immediately had shift 1 2 come to my mind.
Was really cool thrilling sensation. Could been good if pc2 etc did same effects maybe.

You almost felt the disorientation, shock and dizziness.

Back