Roadster 4 Hours OFFLINE A-SPEC Race. My experience

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 12 comments
Portugal
Lisboa
FLAT_TWELVE
First time I post in the section of the forums so bear with me if there is any kind of unwritten rules about newbies protocol and duties or any kind of writeup structure, schemes or configurations. I read TM's stickyed post but no such rules or guidelines are there so I guess I'll publish mine :)

Before I do it there's a couple of things to explain. I'm an odd GT player ... I am not a fan of the GT series in the sense that I can see no wrong in it. I can. Lots of it to be honest. And most regard my true love in racing games and real life racing too: Endurance.

Because of this love, I set up, many years ago, a 24 hours Le Mans race with friends, using the PS2 and the old Le Mans game. It was a blast. Then I had high hopes of doing it again with GT4, but the 6 car grid and the 24 hours under the sun put me off.

Now, finally, the GT series gave us a game that comes a bit closer to what I want. And indeed The plan to run a full 24 hours race with my friends this summer (probably same weekend as the real Le mans race) is well underway.

But I'm very much afraid the race experience will be a flop. Boring. Unrealistic. So I'm testing stuff.

And decided to try the Roadster 4 hours on my own, just as something I could do during a saturday afternoon. Trying, as hard as possible, to create the conditions that alolowed me to feel I was actually having a race, and not achieving a "game-goal".

And I had a fantastic experience. I posted about it in a gtplanet club I belong to, but I decided to make it public also and share it here ... hope you guys like it and most of all, hope it gives you a few hints on how to make this kind of race exciting and enjoyable. Because it CAN be :)

Here goes, sorry for the long introduction:

ROADSTER TSUKUBA 4 HOURS. AS REAL AS IT GETS

Well, not sure if this is of any relevance to discuss and share, since this is mostly a online "gang". But anyway here goes.

As some of you know I plan to do the 24 Hours Le Mans race (A-Spec / Offline) this summer.

But I'm very worried that this supposedly fun event will turn into a nightmare, either because it's too easy and too boring, or because, regardless of what position you are racing for, the arcadey heritage of GT racing (rubber band AI, rabbit car ... poor AI in close battle) may ruin the "race-simulation" feel.

So, yesterday, I did the A-Spec 4 hour enduro (Miata race) at Tsukuba. And I didn't win (finished 2nd, 14 seconds behind leader). But I had great fun doing it, even if my frustration with the way the race ended clouded my reasoning for a while.

In the end, however, I will say this: I had a fantastic gaming experience.

So, here a few guidelines for you guys that don't regard offline events as steps to game completion (fielding the X2010 whenever possible and in specific races - like this one - OVERTUNED CARS. These guidelines won't assure you a win, but they will put you in contention. And, most probably, you will indeed win the race.

Car: Go for a premium Miata, the most basic and older model (don't have access to the PS3, will report later exactly what car I used, but it's the first bodywork, with retractable headlights).

Tyres:Sports Hard

Setup:Mine had stage 1 engine; racing air filter; racing catalystic converter; oil change. Sports suspension (the one that allows you to lower the ride height but not every other tweaks). Fully customizable LSD

Target lap time:1.09'000 with fresh rubber. If you can do better, detune the car.

Other settings: NO assists, including ... NO ABS.

My race report:

INTRODUCTION

No previous training whatsoever, I went in with a mildly tuned Miata and no idea on how competitive the field was. Just for the fun I decided to race using the clutch and H-Pattern shifter, even if that is a major time loser for me, because not only miss-shifts happen very often for an untrained gamer, but also because that changes fundamentally the way I play normally ... I go from left-foot braking to right-foot braking and that is confusing, sometimes leading to mistakes.

Now the actual report. I'll do it "twitter style" :D

FIRST STINT - 0:00 to 0:50

- Race start and first few laps are a total mess due to no-abs, right foot braking, no practise in shifting with clutch ... no prior testing ... etc

- 5 laps in: I got " a grip" on things and started to lap consistently between 1.10s and 1.11s. I was last, of course, almost half a lap down on race leader (+/- 25 seconds).

- said "grip" allowed me to crawl back into race pace, very, very slowly gaining time on 11th place ( I could see it in the distance in the back straight), but almost nothing on the leader ...

- the race was clearly defining itself in two groups, as the field of cars started to spread out. A leading Group with 3 cars, then a few scattered cars then a second group with 5 or 6 cars. all racing close together ... and then ... quite a distance away, totally alone ... me :lol:

- After a litle over 30 minutes my laptimes started to suffer. Slightly but surely, I wasn't able anymore to do 1.10 ... and it became increasingly hard to achieve 1.11. After 40 minutes a good lap would be a low 1.12 already.

- I was still last, very close now to 11th place, but slowly and surely my recovery rate stalled, and after a while he (and the pack he was racing with) started to pull away again.

- By minute 0:50 I was already 40 seconds down on the leader and IAS still showed no sign of slowing their own pace, quite the contrary. Frustrated I headed for the pits. Thought about quitting ... I'm glad I didn't

SECOND STINT - 0:50 to 1:40

- Only changed the tyres, still had more than half tank of fuel.

- But I decided that second stint would be made in my usual race trim :D ... meaning ... bumper cam, paddle shifting, left-foot braking

- (I thought ... "If I get too quick and it spoils the fun, I'll do the last stint as I did the first" ... was not to be)

- Left the pits right behind race leader. Total humiliation, I was AI-LAPPED :lol:

- Still no signs of pace slowing for them. WTH are they cheating ?!?!?!?

- To add to my misery I do a silly mistake in the outlap, at the hairpin before the back straight and as a result:
a) watch race leader disappear into the distance;
b) 2nd placed AI got glued to my car's rear bumper ...

- after settling in again with the new/old habits I start to lap consistent 1.09s and ... at last ... I'm gaining time on race leader.

- In any case, I guess AI benefit from slipstream also, because it took me a few laps to shake 2nd place off

- From then on, and up until 1:20 I do a lonely race, getting closer and closer to race leader, but at a desperately slow recovery pace. My lap times start to deteriorate again and after a while, all laps shoen on screen are already 1.10 ... then 1.11

- However, race leader finally catches up with the other back markers.

- And that changes things, because he gets stuck there (no blue flags in GT5 ;) )

- Between 1:20 and 1:35 I get him, unlap myself, and for the first time I do some overtaking and STOP being in this race's LAST POSITION !!!

- (I get to 6th, entering the no-man's land between the faster and the slower miatas)

- By 1:40, however, my tires were (again) shot, I wasn't able to gain time on the guys behind me and I was in fact losing time on 5th placed car (I could see his dot in the map slowly but surely pulling away).

- I was lapping in the high 1.12s by now, so .. totally puzzled for the apparent lack of tire wear in the AI field ... I pitted again.

THIRD STINT - 1:40 to 2:30

- Again, no refueling, I had almost half a tank by then

- Leave the pits in 8th position, and still in front of race leader (still mingled with the pack of back markers).

- Returning to a 1.09 secs per lap steady pace, this time I took the time to notice that a visit to the pits, without refueling, costs us about 30 seconds (small pit lane, quick entry and quick exit)

- I start to move up the field in a way unexperienced so far. 7th, 6th, 5th ... the field is now all mixed up and the AI's weakness in overtaking among themselves really shows now)

- 4th, 3rd, 2nd are still far but within this stint's reach I think. Can't be sure where / what dots they are, only know the difference to race leader and "he" is still more than half a lap away.

- Anyway, I'm getting there, and by now quite confident this race will in the end be mine. Still puzzled by them not pitting, but I sense a definite slowing of their pace, even in free air.

- Then we hit the 2:00 mark (half race) and I think ... "either there's a bug and they don't pit at all unless they're become of fuel ... or they are doing a one-stopper because they're not human at tire-saving ;) "

- At 2:05 ... a car pits. And the pit dance begins, lasting about 10 minutes /10 laps of the race.

- When it ends, by 2:15 ... I am RACE LEADER !!!!! :cheers:

- 10 seconds clear on 2nd place, I manage to build this gap to 15 seconds until, by 2:20 (race time) again I start to lose pace. And the gap remains with the help of traffic.

- Now was the time for strategic thinking. I had been doing 50 minutes stints. If I did this one also, I still had 10 minutes to race, and would pit at 2:30 race time.

- That would leave me with 90 minutes to do, in two stints of 45 minutes.

- It was a safe bet, so I decided to stay out until 2:30.

- When I entered, I was really struggling with destroyed tires and 2nd place had gained 10 seconds on me so I was only 5 seconds in front. And having an amazing race I didn't think this game could give me!!!! And of the best kind ... a true endurance race :)

FOURTH STINT - 2:30 to 3:15

- Again, no refueling needed, just tires.

- I still had about 1/4 of the tank of fuel. Enough for the next 45 minutes, although it was clear that I would need some fuel in my last stop.

- Reentered the track in 3rd position, about 25 seconds down on race leader.

- This was my best stint by far. I was confident, I knew the car now, and already had close to 150 laps made in this race.

- I managed a few 1.08 sec laps early on and then, because both 2nd and leader got into traffic, I got them, passed them, and distanced myself from them.

- When the 45 minutes ended I was leader, 30 seconds up on 2nd place and thinking to myself ... "I bagged this so perfectly maybe I really should return to the H-PAttern, clutch, right-foot braking in this last stint".

- And that was my plan, until ... **** happened!

- I miscalculated the entry into the pitlane, and hit the pit wall not entirely headon, but hard enough so that the car had a "hiccup" in its course at the moment of pit entrance.

- And this happened ... AI took over the car, managed to resume the normal pit lane procedures and speed, and pitted. BUT ...

- ... I didn't get the popup screen where you select what tires to use and how many liters to reuel

- The car stopped in the pits .... and stayed there ...

- Gave me time to think lots of things, and use many words I normally don't use.

- I thought at some point about quitting, because it all seemed as if the car was still waiting orders and would never leave the pits.

Until ... it did.

- And the tank was FULL

FIFTH AND FINAL STINT - 3:15 to 4:00

- Left pitlane in 5th position. 37 secs behind leader

- After 30 minutes of the best driving I could achieve, I was 2nd. 10 seconds behind leader.

- Still improved and got as close as 7,5 seconds behind leader

- Then, two things happened. With less than 10 minutes to go.

- 1. Leader got free air, with no prospect of changes unbtil the end of the race

- 2. My tires were kaput.

- I was lucky to hold on to second place in the end ... 14 seconds behind the leader ... and 0.3 on 3rd placed car.

- Tired. Frustrated. Nervous. Irritated. ALl and everything you guys can imagine

- After a while, with a cold beer and some reflexive thoughts .... I realized I had experienced one hell of a race. Like they should always be, if devs understood how important: the AI is; a close field is, consistency in racing is.

CLOSING WORDS:

If anyone read all that's posted above, congratulations. And I hope this write up will serve its main purpose. To provide a Miata /Tsukuba /4 hours good race for anyone that wants to actually race it and not only add it to the "completed events check list"

:)

Well, thanks.

I did a few tests last night again just to check a few things. And my final verdict is this. If you want a RACE, setup a Miata that allows you to do 1.09,000 in the optimal circumstances, meaning: fresh rubber, low fuel.

If you can do better you'll win easily. And you'll be bored.

As an example, at race start, such a car, loaded with fuel, shouldn't be able to d better than high 1.10s. Again, if you do better, give up.

Oh, and use Sports Hard tyres, that way you'll have a cornering speed and braking distances similar to the AI. Again, equal footing, or else you'll think they suck in the corners, under braking (or the opposite, you'll think they are unrealistically fast there, and you'll need POWER to compensate on the straights. That - again - ruins the realism of any race).

Good read. I have finished a bunch of races with my ds3 but my plan for the remaining races is to drive a similar powered car with a proper wheel. I don't think I will do the longer endurances but the miata race is definitely on the radar.

Wow, great suggestion - I just did it too and it was a mighty race - the best I've ever had in my GT life... :cool: I had ABS on, otherwise my settings were the same as yours.

I got the dreaded pit glitch as well, on my 2nd stop of a planned 4 - although I ended up shifting to a 5 stop strategy. I will write it up properly later, but suffice it to say, I won by less than a second! We crossed the line on Lap 200 with 11 seconds left on the timer, and I was just under a second down - I'd been catching the leader by about 1 s per lap in the last 15 laps or so, and I only won because it went to 201 laps... incredible! :crazy:

I could only manage 1.09.619 as a lap record, but I was typically getting low to mid 1.10's... The reason I won, however, was because I switched from a 4 stopper to a 5... running 40 laps on Sports Hards was killing me, because I was dropping into the 1.12s (and even the 1.13s on two occasions). I figured that my only chance was to gamble on an extra stop (about 24 seconds) and miss three more 10 lap segments running slow... I knew it was going to be close, but I hadn't bargained on just how close... the AI only pitted once, and after it had pitted, it was mighty quick... I'm sure it was running mid 1.10s pretty much constantly.

I would have won the Human Stopwatch trophy on 9 separate occasions, one of which was a string of 5 laps within 0.14 s :boggled:

Anyway, great write up and thanks for sharing - it gave me the best race ever. Now to watch that replay :D

D'oh! To think you probably would of had it without the put glitch :P great read, it's got me tempted to try something similar on laguna as I looove that track.

Great read. I just did this race myself this weekend, but not the same outcome. My best lap time was 1.09.6xx, and my lap times was quite as same as you experienced. From 1.09.xxx to 1.12.xxx depending on tires.

It took me 40 laps to overtake the leader, but when I did i kept in 1 place until the race ended. Then I won by 3 laps. So I guess it depends on each race, what type of cars/AI you race against. Guess it changes each time you enter.

But I loved it. I tried to get a close race, but not as close as I hoped. Now I'm testing out some of the other endurance races, to find what car and setup to use. Any suggestions will be appriaciated, thx.

Thanks! :)

Please note that this report is from the Spec I era of GT5.

After this race, when Spec 2.00 arrived (and with it the ability to save in enduros) I did a full endurance career, from this race again up to the big 24 Hours races, you can check that here.

(I would like to have a go at a second career but the tyre wear became messed up since Spec 2.02 - regarding Racing Hard Tyres - so I'm waiting for it to be corrected)

Specifically about the Roadster 4 hour race, the big differences I noticed between Spec I and Spec II were these:

1. My tires (SH) lasted longer;
2. Lead AIs are more competent at overtaking/lapping the field.

Not sure what happens now regarding #1, because the tyre model changed again.

Thanks for your report of your race. I had nearly fallen asleep overrunning everyone in the Roadster Endurance previously, so quit after just 20 minutes or so. Your post inspired me to make the race a challenge and try it again.

After a few aborted starts in under- or overpowered cars, I gave it another go. I started the race on Sports Hard tires and found myself falling behind the leader. After an hour I saw the leader in my rear view and decided that I needed a change, so I went in for Sports Medium tires.

I came out of the pits and my first full lap on the new tires ended up being my fastest lap of the race. Even when I settled down a bit I found that I was very slowly catching up to the leader. I knew that it would be some time before he pit, though, and did not know how my tires would last. I noticed that I was making up more and more ground, though, as the leader's tires began to wear down, and when he went into the pit at about 1'50" I took the lead. I even managed to make the SM tires last an hour.

The leader and I traded the lead a few times over the next couple of hours depending on tire condition and when we pitted. I overtook him for good with about 30 minutes left and lost him completely when he hit the pits again with only about 15 minutes left. From there it was an easy sail to victory.

It was a hell of a race, though. Spending more than half of the race outside of the lead makes it a much more interesting race than seeing how many times you can lap the field. Thanks for the inspiration... now I'm just trying to find the right car for the Laguna Seca endurance. :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good race! 👍 I got an interesting bit of info from your report, it will be useful for my next go at this race: While previously the AIs pitted shortly after the 2 hour mark, therefore pitting only once, now it seems they are doing 110 min stints and therefore they need to pit TWICE.

It's not a lot of time they lose with one more pit stop, if you consider the 4 hours the race lasts, but it's good to know this in advance. Thanks! :)

I'm not sure that every car pitted under 2 hours. The (AI) leader was running quite a bit faster than the rest and, I think, pitted earlier. Even after pitting he was ahead of the rest of the AI. Made it a bit of a rabbit chase but such is life. If I saved the replay I'll go back and see what car it was, specifically.

Edit: Bah... I didn't save the replay.

This is one of the best threads I read here. Because of your story I decided to finally start the roadster endurance myself.
I practiced with a low powered Eunos Roadster on normal sports tires until I could consistently run 1.09.xxx laps.
I ended up with a 160 HP Eunos and started the endurance yesterday evening.
My tires lasted just over 1 hour, I was running high 1.12's by that time and had to fight/block the number two driver for a good 10 laps, the gap was never bigger than 5 seconds which started to decline after about 40 minutes race time.

Than, first pit, I braked too late and hit the wall, got back on the track, but AI had taken over and entered the pit lane again, but what!!!! it just drove through the pit lane loosing me 13 seconds without changing my tires, so I had to enter the pits again, a little slower this time.
Got out of the pits with a 37 second gap and running in third place. But the lap times were back in the 1.09 again. 2nd place was reached after 8 laps and the gap with p1 declined every lap.

After almost 2 hours of racing it was time to pit once again (and save because it was well past midnight), I managed to create a gap of 34 seconds and decided to do an extra lap or two to pass the 2 hour mark. In the next lap the gap went from 34 seconds to 1 minute 4 seconds !!?!!?!? so the number 2 car was finally struggling with his tires, he must have made a few serious mistakes in that round.

So now I'm on fresh tires with little under a half full tank with little over a minute in front of p2 (who was lapped after his pit stop but he overtook me again because I was running 1,11 rounds on my worn out tires)

Man, this race is so interesting and exciting this way. I'll be doing it again as soon as I'm finished with our gaming room upstairs and can use my steering wheel again. I'm using my ds3 now and I think I can get slightly better and more consistent lap times using my wheel.

I totally agree with the other comments, i had avoided doing this race previously as i usually find tsukuba boring and i thought 4 hours of it would be horrible. However after reading this i was inspired to give it a go. Im using the Eunos roadster j edition or something like that with a bit of tuning to 150bhp and 383pp and using sports hard tyres. Just completed my first stint of the race which has flown by and has been so much fun as i have been in 2nd place for the whole time and driving flat out to try and catch the leader. I managed 1:09 laps at the start but then 1:10, 1:11 and 1:12 just before pitting. I managed to close the gap to 6 seconds when lapping the field but as my tyres wore he opened up a gap of 16 seconds. I pitted and saved after 1hours 20mins so i am aiming for 2 stops and not going to refuel this time so hopefully can catch the leader when his tyres start to go and especially when he gets stuck in traffic. Had to save for now but cant wait to get back to it now! Im hoping the AI will need to pit twice aswell!

Back