Roadster 4h Endurance by W&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
Wasilla, AK
The original formula for this race is an NR-A Miata with a racing chip, sports suspension, and an arsenal of sports tires.

To make sure I don't need anything else, I try a test lap. Even on SH tires all around, the car seems a bit twitchy, and it feels punchy enough for most anything. My :yuck: laptime of 1'17.xxx says otherwise, however, and will not be enough for primetime.

D'oh... forgot the oil. :dunce:

Anyway, with the oil changed and a sports clutch and flywheel added for good measure, I head back to Tsukuba and run a 1'14.374, equal to the best the competition is know to run. The suspension and tires feel OK, so it's go time.

wctrtsukubaqt8.gif

(Cool track map AMG 👍)

THE GRID

1. Mazda MX-5 Miata SR-Limited (J) '97
2. Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (J) '98
3. Mazda MX-5 Miata S-Special Type I (J) '95
4. Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (J) '00
5. Mazda MX-5 Miata VR-Limited (J) '95
6. Mazda MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (J) '04

Uh oh, the rabbit showed up. The '00 1800 RS. I'll have to get around this guy quickly, or he'll run away and hide.

THE START

With the race awarding 70-80 points, things look resonably promising, and with the rabbit starting in fourth, relative safety isn't too far away. I make excellent progress right away, late braking the VR-Limited in turn 1 and giving him a smack he won't soon forget. Next on the hitlist is the infernal 1800 RS. After passing him, I may be able to take a cleaner approach. But that little devil is fast! I give him a bump in turn 7 but then swing wide and end up no better off than I was. My cause is aided greatly when the rabbit attempts to cut inside of the S-Special in turn 8 and the S-Spec slams the door on him. I may be in range for a late-braking punt in turn 1...

But it doesn't work. I get the speed and angle all wrong, and fly off into the sand after delivering a small disturbance to his line. It's not the last time either. I hit the dirt again trying to get past the VR-Limited, and almost again attempting to negotiate turn 1 on lap 3. I forgot, tires are prepetual green during the practice sessions you can get under "world circuits", "City Courses", etc. :dunce:

So now I know. I need to take it easy and cleanly until the tires warm up. Then I can focus on taking out the 1800 RS - hopfully before he gets away.

And now I have to leave you hanging because it's the 4th of July and I'm going to watch Magnum P.I. while eating dessert :sly:

About an hour later, after watching Ki' i's Don't Lie (episode 3.2), I'm back in the game. Despite consistent laps, the leader is gaining fast. Bleh, tires still a bit cold.

By the middle of lap 8, my tires have been properly warmed, and I'm quickly gaining back the time the leader gained on me. The rabbit, however, is still a pie in the sky. I'm hoping to get him when he pits on lap 35 or so - until then, it's not worth pushing myself too hard.

About 3/4 through lap 9, I fight my way up to 4th but the 1800 RS has a huge lead. As it stands now, I'm on lap 11, 13'07.500 into the race, and steadily gaining. But the 1800 is still pretty far up, and the aforementioned pit pass seems to be the only realistic way of passing him.

By lap 12, the leader is gaining agian although the tires are still green. I've got the rabbit in my sights though, he's dicing with another car which should keep him busy for a while.

At lap 14, the tires are begining to get a tad bit yellow, but they've got a ways to go yet - I've squeezed 36 laps or so out of them on a ~200 HP supercharged '89 Miata, and this car isn't nearly as powerful. They're still maintaining healthy grip except in turn 7, where understeer shows its ugly head and the car lugs badly at the exit.

Around lap 16-17 the car became manageable in turn 7 again.

By lap 21 the leader is going nuts and the rabbit, now in second, is right on his bumper. With the rabbit being the only car that pits under 40 laps, things aren't looking too good. I hope I can outlast whoever the leader is, and whoever the rabbit passed on his way to the leader :nervous:

And suddenly, by the start of lap 23, the rabbit is in first. I hope he doesn't gain enough for it to stick past his pit. :scared: Of course, given how hard he's driving, he'll probably pit sooner rather than later.

30 min - 1 hr

30 minutes rolls around 2.713 seconds into lap 25, with 34 miles on the clock (including a small amount of testing). The rabbit is ~22.5 seconds ahead and gaining fast. :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

By the time I've finished 30 laps, the 1800 RS is ~40.5 seconds ahead. pointing to a gain of just under 3 seconds a lap. If that dirty rotten cheater tries to lap me I'll have no shame about putting him in whatever undesireable location presesnts itself :mad:

After he pits, he still has about 45 secs up on me. I recognize a no hoper when I see one, so why waste the time?

I'll try again in the morning, and this time I'll make sure to get a lineup without the instrument of pure evil known as the Mazda MX-5 Miata 1800 RS (J). I'm going to use this thread so please don't lock it!

9 AM update: Unfortunately this morning doesn't look to be as good an opportunity as it did at 11:30 PM or so last night. My plan for this race is to fish the lineup until I get one without the rabbit (and to figure out how the leader went nuts like that - maybe the rabbit knocking on his bumper provided some motivation? Can they do that? :crazy:), and then drive clean but hard - you can get into a lot of trouble punting people on cold tires.

Okay, after checking this site's car list the leader's P/WR seems typicial for a Miata. He must've been running scared because of the rabbit.

TAKE TWO

With fresh oil in the car and fresh sleep in me, it's time to go again. This time I fish the lineup to make sure no 1800 RSes appear - the 1.8 RS seems okay from is P/WR.

THE GRID

Mazda MX-5 Miata '89 <--- Actually white
Mazda MX-5 Miata J-Limited (J) '91
Mazda MX-5 Miata S-Special Type I (J) '95
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (J) '98 <--- Actually white
Mazda MX-5 Miata VR-Limited (J) '95
Mazda MX-5 Miata 1600 NR-A (J) '04

My strategy is to drive cleanly, but work hard to gain some ground before the pack has time to spread out. I start as soon as I post this edit.

THE START

I make excellent progress right away. With no rabbits in the field, there's no reason to punt anyone or to make any of the stupid mistakes that often come with punting, and I'm in first by the beginning of lap 10.

However, if I become the rabbit myself, this will be a very boring 4 hours. To keep that from happening, I'm going to let off the pace. Not enough to lose the lead, but enough to keep second in my rearview. This should extend the life of the fuel and tires as well, setting up a long term advantage. If that doesn't pan out, there's a plan B(oring): floor it!

Lap 13 now, and I'm realising that I don't need to drive quite as tepidly as I thought - the AI is actually doing a pretty good job keeping up, except on the front & back straights, and by extention turn 8.

Around lap 20, I began to regret driving mildly as the 1.8 RS pushed past me in turn 1.

30 min - 1 hr

It was 31 minutes or so and lap 25 that I looked at the clock and realized I needed to start a new section. The 1.8 RS is holding a steady ~2 second lead, with everyone else keeping their distance. If I can't pass this guy outright, I should be able to stay close enough to capitalize when he pits. Then I just need to stay out a few laps longer and take tires only when I do go in.

Simple, right? We'll see.

As of now (12:49 PM) the game is on pause because I'm eating lunch.

Lap 41 now, and the 1.8 RS is somehow gaining ground fast, ~6.8 second lead or so now. He should pit very soon, I hope I can last long enough to capitalize :scared:

He pits lap 43, stretching his pit window to the max. I've got a good while to go yet. Ha! Eat that you little twerp! You're in fifth now!

On lap 47 I finally pit. I take tires only but it's not enough to prevent the '89 from getting ~12.5 sceonds on me. Can't get a break, can I?

Game is paused now and has been for a while.

Finally, I'm back, and the 1 hr mark hits near the end of lap 48.

1 hr - 1 hr 30 min

The '89 is maintaining a lead of about 12.5 seconds. I'm hoping to gain some ground once my tires warm up. If that doesn't work, I'm sure the lineup will be shuffled a ton in the next round of pit stops (and then someone else will end up impossibly far ahead of me :mad:)

Lap 56 now, for a while I was gaining on the leader but now he's holding a steady ~7 seconds on me.

Lap 65 and I had my defecit in the 6es, but the '89 has made it up my defecit is now in the 7 second range - possibly the high 7 second range. Second place (and four wasted hours) seems very likely unless the next round of pit stops evens the field out a little.

With one minute to go this period it has become apparent that the '89 has extended his lead to 9-10 seconds. If I can hold on until the next round of stops (lap 90-something by my calculations) the field may even out. We'll see.

1 hr 30 min - 2 hr

I also realized (even before the clock hit 1'30) that I have been struggling to hold a lead for over an hour, and the next round of stops may or may not bring relief. Thus my long term fate in this race is uncertain. Wish me luck.

Lap 79 now. The '89 is holding the margin decently. I'm going for my second stop at lap 94, by which time my tires - especially on the left - will be pretty worn out. Wish me luck again.

It's lap 80 and I'm starting to gain on the leader as his tires are more than likely nearing the end of their useful lives. I'm going to pause and leave for a while now.

Last edited:
Good luck on your next try! Here's a tip: Don't punt the other cars out of your way, pass them cleanly, even if it takes you a little longer. Most people here prefer to see clean races.

Oh, and welcome to :gtplanet:!

Good luck on your next try! Here's a tip: Don't punt the other cars out of your way, pass them cleanly, even if it takes you a little longer. Most people here prefer to see clean races.

Oh, and welcome to :gtplanet:!

Trying to get points out of this race == punting.

Trying to get points out of this race == punting.

I'll try not to punt. Insteat I'm going to fish the lineup until that 🤬 1800 RS doesn't show up. Once he's out of the picture, the whole thing should be a bit easier. Not hot-knife-through-butter easy, but winnable without punting.

Good luck White & Nerdy (and brilliant handle too!) Is the Aspec value different without the 1800RS in the lineup?

Also, that is an exceptionally good race report for a new user. Almost as good as this one.

Congratulations, good luck and thanks for an interesting read.

PF
Good luck White & Nerdy (and brilliant handle too!) Is the Aspec value different without the 1800RS in the lineup?

Also, that is an exceptionally good race report for a new user. Almost as good as this one.

Congratulations, good luck and thanks for an interesting read.

YEs, it is a bit lower , and not a lot easier with that 🤬 '89 running away while I was in the pits, but at least he isn't getting 1'05 leads while I'm stuck in fourth!

Edit: Erm, do I detect a hint of sarcasm about the above link?

I've not A-specced this one but it has a fearsome reputation among even some of the best 200pt players. I think Smallhorses has done at least three race reports on this so if you want to increase the point score you could check out his strategies.

Edit: Erm, do I detect a hint of sarcasm about the above link?

Yes ... maybe a little bit. I really was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the report. It shows how invaluable it is for new users to lurk and research on these boards before starting a thread. Keep it up mate!

PF

PF
I've not A-specced this one but it has a fearsome reputation among even some of the best 200pt players. I think Smallhorses has done at least three race reports on this so if you want to increase the point score you could check out his strategies.

Yes ... maybe a little bit. I really was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the report. It shows how invaluable it is for new users to lurk and research on these boards before starting a thread. Keep it up mate!

PF

Sorry... I can't keep it up. I have pressing matters, and with my mother around I can hardly get five seconds to myself. Maybe I can try again once she really learns the meaning of summer vacation, or when I don't start on a Sunday morning and get very little done that day.

If she lets me have a weekend this weekend, I might be able to get it done in one sitting. Otherwise, it could be a month or more because we're going to Washington (the state, not Washington DC) on the 14th.

Mods lock please! (I'm sorry if this violates the acceptable use policy, I looked all over and I couldn't find it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back